Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Mobil regular grade gas. A few weeks back I filled up at a local Mobil station and after about 20 miles I noticed an extreme drop in power and difficulty keeping my MPG up above 50 while maintaining speeds above 35mph.

Passing it off as a fluke I shuffled it off to the back of my mind.

This week I refilled at the same station and again, after about 20 miles the same thing is happening. I have been fighting to keep the mpg up above 45 and at the same time drive above 35mph. Not to say that I cant drive over 35, just that when I do the MPG drops to 40 or lower.

I normally get about 60 mpg. My driving habits have not changed. Yes, the station is the same so it could just be that particular one - I have nothing against Mobil at all.

I'm open to suggestions.
TIA

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ext1jdh:

___A bit of water in the fuel maybe but that should have knocked her out within a minute or two instead of 20? I use a BP card (3% rebate on all BP fuel purchases) and haven’t had a problem w/ BP regular unleaded fuel. The 2 BP’s I normally purchase my fuel from are very new so I am sure that cannot hurt either.

___Next fillup, hit a newer BP in your area just in case is my suggestion.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1l3k7smy][email protected][/email:1l3k7smy]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a Thorntons two blocks from my homw that I frequent. I occasionally hit the BP at the corner because they have a wash. I've only been to the one Mobil so I can't be certain. I never noticed any differenes in my last car. I'll keep working on it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Mobil regular all the time...

I use Mobil all the time and never have any problems. (Disclaimer: I used to be an employee....)

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it only lasted for the first 20 miles, I don't see how it could really be the gas? Did the rest of the tank burn OK?

Some possible things I can think of:

- If the station has the 2-3 different hoses for regular/mid/premium...is it possible that you used one hose that hadn't been used for a while and put a little stale gas in the tank

- Is the station on a hill or slope that may allow more gas into the tank than normal and possibly flood the vapor revocery system

- Possible that the auto shut-off at that station/pump puts more fuel in the tank resulting in the same condition as above

-Psychological...we have a station around here at the top of a hill relative to my house. I can pull in, fill up, then "coast" home and register ~100+ MPG for that first mile or two. Likewise, stations at the relative bottom of a hill I am doing good to get 35 MPG for the first few miles.

Make careful observations...it will be neat to see what the ultimate cause is!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured the 20 miles may have been what was sitting in the fuel line. There was 1 hose for all 3, which I dont trust but theres not a lot of choice these days. Regarding the slope theory, 1 word.

Illinois.

The only thing flatter is the US womens gymnastic team in Athens.
The auto shutoff is a possibility, I only saw the problem at that one station, but I never put more than 10 gallons in. It doesnt really explain the lack of power though.

I dunno. I suspect that particular stations mix. I tried a different Mobil and had no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i must admit that i have had a similar problem at times when the car is just not up to speed, driving on the same road, same style, same everything, i usually average 57 to 63 (depending on the weather :) but this particular day i got 47 !!!!!!! that was depressing, but the car just wouldn't go, something was wrong that day, i guess it could have been the gas.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Illinois.

The only thing flatter is the US womens gymnastic team in Athens

Drive about 350 miles south of Chicago (still in Illinois). The area around the Shawnee National Forest is hilly.

I can tell a marked difference in performance from 89 octane wth ethanol to 93 octane without ethanol.

To maintain steady throttle pressure on one hill in particular:

65 mph at the bottom of the hill = 30mph at the top with 89 octane.

65 mph at the bottom of the hill = 40mph at the top with 93 octane.

I have never used premium in a car that did not require it. In fact, we have used regular in my wife's 2000 Maxima that does require it. We bought it new and it now has 98000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts