Honda Insight Forum banner

Mobil1 0w-20 delayed...

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tim Maddux 
#1 ·
I was at Wal-Mart the other day and couldn't find the new 0w-20 synthetic from Mobil1. A support rep at Mobil1 had told me it would be on Wal-Mart's shelves on April 1, 2003.

I called Mobil1 again today and was told that it will not be available until sometime in May. They wouldn't give a specific date.

#5 ·
5w 20 Penzoil

I've been using 5w 20 in my car for over a year and a half. since 0w-20 was not available. I don't like going to a dealer for oil and oil changes i dont trust them.

I'll keep an eye out for the 0w 20 from Mobil in my local stores.

Has anyone experienced problems with 5w 20 in their cars to warrant a changed to the lower weight?

#6 ·
Mobile 1 Synthetic

Last evening I bought a case of the Mobile 1 0W-20 synthetic oil. (4.77 a quart at Walmart). On examining the bottle I am confused as the bottle says it's 0W-20 Fully synthetic motor oil hower they also say Recommended for Ford and Honda 5W-20 applications. Despite this it does list the Honda Insight on the reverse side along with most 96 and never Civics. Perhaps they are just specifying the oil as a 5W-20 substitute. Perhaps Honda and Ford have endorsed the product. Strangely it doesn't mention the Prius which uses 0W-20 oil if I recall correctly. Have fun, Rick

#7 ·
I think I was one of the first to find out about the 0W-20 synthetic while at last years SEMA show in Vegas. I ended up talking to one of their reps and he said that it could be used in Honda and Ford 5W-20 applications for increased fuel economy and lower emissions as a result. I mentioned my Insight and he asked about it. Anyway, when I asked about availability he said that they were working with Honda and Ford dealerships to get the product in the parts departments. Should be interesting to see if they do or not.

#9 ·
flunkysama...

Flunkysama--I haven't seen the 0w-40, and nothing was said about Insights on the page your link leads to (but I do want to see what is said--maybe you could cut and paste it to this board).

I imagine 5w-30 or 10w-30 is a better choice than 0w-40, but I haven't heard anyone say that 0w-20, when you can find it, isn't the best choice. Mobil1 0w-20 is supposed to be available at WalMart about a week from today or so.

#10 ·
Walmart had both the 0W-20, 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils. The 0W-40 specified for European cars and the 0W-30 said enhanced economy formula while the 0W-20 said for 5W-20 applications. All had the SuperSyn antiwear technology statement. Have fun, RIck

#12 ·
Well I will probably go with the 0W-20 (interesting that the mobile web site shows 5W-30 for the insight yet they list the Insight on the back of the 0W-20 bottle). Ricky mentioned he was uses 0W-30 but I think that was because of the turbo modification. Have fun, Rick

#13 ·
Finally! Thanks for the update. We've been waiting, what, a year for this stuff? It must have been buried under a pile of WMD's or something :?

The mobil1 website has been slow to update from the start with 0w-20 information; I wouldn't read too much into it being missing from there.

EDIT -- Mobil1 0w-20 wasn't at my local WalMart this morning :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.