Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done reading some Yahoo group posts, Mobil has discontinued 0W-20! I didn't believe it at first, but I just got off the phone with their tech support line. They're replacing it with a 5w-20 so it's not the end of the world.....

But I'm heading out right now to go see if I can find a case or two to stock horde.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got back from Pep Boys, I am 2 cases heavier now. I paid full retail price, but all well. If anyone finds themselves in dire need as of this afternoon I know where 4 more cases reside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great just after I've switched to it a couple of months ago. :cry:

·
Registered
804 Posts
It was never easy to find it at Walmart...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Did they give a reason why (like lack of sales)?

There's not really any difference between 0W and 5W. I used 5W in my old insight #1, and still got >90 mpg.

troy

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason was because they're comming out with a 5W-20. If you look on their web page they've got an entire new line which is guaranteed for 5,000 miles, 7,500 miles, and 10,000 miles. Or something like that. I'm still debating whether or not I shold go buy another case or not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I contacted them under "contact us" at the bottom of the Mobil 1 site and this is the response I got...

"Yes 0W20 has been replaced with our 5W20 synthetic oil because of
consumer demand. We do
apologize for discontinuing the 0W20. We hope you still continue using
our products."

I bought a couple of cases today too, and at the end of the month when payday comes around I guess I'll go for a couple more.

I wonder what the difference will be going to the 5W20?

Robert

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ohno!

Does oil ever go bad? If we stockpile it, will it hurt our cars in a few years to be using oil that was made in 2005?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Does anyone else make a synthetic 0W-20 oil? I have searched but haven't found anything. What would be the difference in switching to 5W-20?

·
Registered
187 Posts
AutoZone was out of the Mobil 1 W0-20 when I stopped by after work this evening and they said that it all had sold at their store within a single day after word got out that it was to be DCd.

I do have my two "just in case" quarts purchased on a shopping spree several weeks ago to buy provisions for my new insight, so I guess that's better than no quarts at all. Do you think using the MobilW5-20 down the line will affect MGPs?

And I called the Mobil phone number 1-800-ASK-MOBIL, since I was already staring at the back of the oil container. The oil guy (job title?) was really nice and very interested in hybids, especially the insight...asked about milage and said he had noticed several in his town and liked the way they looked. He said that Mobil produces oil for Honda, so it might be possible to get W0-20 through Honda. Also, Mobil will list your zipcode, first name and car model/make - only if you request- on a list of callers commenting that Mobil should continue production of this oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think oil -- especially synthetic -- will degrade over just a few years, as long as the seals on the bottles are OK. I wouldn't keep it in the car, especially in the summer. I'm keeping mine in the corner of my garage, and it should be fine.

Thanks for the alert, Rick. I was able to buy six quarts of Mobil 1 0W20 at a local AutoZone, and I ordered two cases from my local O'Reilly Auto Parts. O'Reilly's is cool; if it doesn't have something in stock, it checks throughout the network and can get it the next day with no additional cost.

With what I stockpiled, I should have enough oil to last to about the 110,000-mile mark.

I've seen regular Castrol in 0W20, but I don't know whether it has a synthetic in that weight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Difference in 0w-20 and 5w-20

I don't think it is very likely to notice a difference between 5w-20 and 0w-20. My car calls for 0w-20, however the first # is the viscosity bfore operating temperature, the 2nd # is the viscocity once at operating temperature.
So, once your car is warm, there is no difference.

Afaik :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
For those of you who are buying some 0W20 to stockpile, I just received an email back from Mobil saying that the shelf life for Mobil 1 oil is 5 years if it is kept in a sealed container.
FYI
robert

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you leave the oil sit, the anti-wear additives might fall out of solution. Make sure to shake the bottle before using -or- store it upside down so the additives are at the opening.

troy

·
Registered
569 Posts
originalbadbob said:
For those of you who are buying some 0W20 to stockpile, I just received an email back from Mobil saying that the shelf life for Mobil 1 oil is 5 years if it is kept in a sealed container.
FYI
robert
Excellent! I just bought about a 3 year supply. Hopefully the car will last that long. If anyone in Northern Va is looking for 0W-20, Pep Boys in Winchester still has a few quarts left. I didn't quite clean them out :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___With the word that 0W-20 is now defunct as of the other day, I am heading out to pick up the last 12 quarts in my locale :( Anyway, the new 5W-20 Synthetic is at one of my local Auto-zones but I do not have any information on its kinematic viscosity which is the key to higher FE in the case of the Insight.

The specs of Mobil1 0W-20 are as follows:

Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.4
Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 43

Mobil1.com does not list any specific test for this new 5W-20 other then the std. marketing BS …
Mobil 1 5W-20 meets:

• ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that flows quickly during cold starts.
• API SM/CF
• ACEA A1/B1
• Ford WSS-M2C930-A

Mobil 1 5W-20 rounds out a lineup of Mobil 1 products that are engineered to help keep your engine running like new. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology exceeds the industry's toughest standards and outperforms all conventional oils. It offers exceptional performance under all operating conditions, pours at temperatures as low as -53°F (-47°C) and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400°F (205°C). Specifically designed for Ford, Honda and 2005 Chryslers where an SAE 5W-20 is recommended.
___The 5W is its rating when cold so this isn’t much of a concern other then it will be a bit longer to loosen up/warm up from cold. The 20W portion should be ~ equivalent between the older 0W-20 and the newer 5W-20 but until the test numbers are posted, we will not know for sure. If they are ~ equivalent, the 5W-20 will offer the same superior FE as that of 0W-20 after the oil is up to temp.

___If anyone is a member of BITOG, I bet some of those experts know and I would greatly appreciate any information found be posted back here. As it stands, I am headed out to an Auto-Zone to pay a buck more per quart then I was paying at Walmart all these years and I am none to happy about it :(

___When I get back, I will take a look over at BITOG myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:23fc7sk5][email protected][/email:23fc7sk5]

·
Registered
76 Posts
So... I was also using Mobil 1 0W-20, which I had switched to from previously using 0W-30, which is what I switched to after previously using 5W-30. So here's the million dollar question:

Which is better? 0W-30 or 5W-20?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi AZcivic:

___The 5W-20 will provide higher FE if that was what you are interested in?

___I picked up all 25 quarts of 0W-20 from the local Autozone that had it in stock tonight and I was glad they had more then first thought … I use it in the MDX, the Insight, Ranger, and even the Corolla. The BITOG guru’s are awaiting the Mobil1 5W-20 specs as well but given the pour point temps have increased about 5 degrees F, it looks like the 5W-20’s (0 degrees C kinematic viscosity) is probably a bit higher then 0W-20’s specs. The two should be darn near equal and provide no loss of FE for longer distance drivers that do not have to worry about short drive warm ups however.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1cfsz5fp][email protected][/email:1cfsz5fp]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts