Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Brand new 2013 Honda Insight EX Hatchback owner! I financed this for around 10-11k with 52k miles. I wanted to ask if there were any mods that are recommended including body kits, spoilers, etc. to increase mpg. I dove into a rabbit hole looking for window tints (I ended up getting 3M Ceramic IR tints for $300, yay!) and probably started a rabbit hole for other ways to improve fuel efficiency and life of the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Based on the first generation experience, probably the first thing to do is play with tire pressures. Any tire can be safely inflated to the pressure listed on the sidewall, even if it is higher than what the car manufacturer recommends.

Commercial body kits tend to be appearance items, or drag-increasing frills. One thing I do is put white bath towels over the area under the hatchback, because reflecting the light back out the window may reduce the load on the A/C. A potential mod would be to take one of those reflector panel things that people put on their dashboard to keep out the sunlight, re-shaped to fit so it lies down flat in the back under the hatchback window. (Obviously not blocking the windows!) You might be able to keep the car a bit cooler inside that way.

Also FYI it is really, really hard to detect improvements in mileage. The cars are already good, and any simply change that would make a significant difference has almost certainly been thought of by the engineers. Higher tire pressure and good driving habits are 90%+ of your fuel economy results.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,695 Posts
Readjust the loose nut on the steering wheel, and your MPG will improve. LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
Most of that stuff is just for cosmetics. A full smooth belly pan under the car is a proven addition, but it doesn't have much eye appeal and therefore can't be purchased directly ;)

Removing the right side mirror is allowed in some states and will improve MPG very slightly.

If you are interested in modding the car for fuel economy, you should perhaps check out Ecomodder.com., not that we don't like having you here also. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found lowering the car improves mpg and handling. A lower car has less wind resistance. These springs are 10% stiffer along with a lower center of gravity so you have less body roll without adding weight.
Tanabe Springs

Automotive side-view mirror Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle

I'm running 195/60R15 Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires non Eco Focus.

Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

I tried to snap the photo at 66.6 mpg over 50 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts