Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

While I was having a tiny scratch looked over at a local auto body shop today--- the guy there mentioned that my car should have protective door edge and body moldings. I'd like to protect my baby but the thought of tampering with it makes me uncomfortable.

Any recent opinions or advice?? ( I did a search but can't seem to access the photos someone posted of their Insight with moldings).

Thanks!

Murasaki

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi everyone,
I work for an automotive glass and accessories wholesaler. I have heard of moldings to go around glass, I have never heard of door and body moldings.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think they're talking about something that goes along the body lines to prevent other car doors from causing dents. In all honesty it would make it look kinda bad. I recall someone posing a picture where they added one along each side. Then again I have two door dings from inconsiderate people.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
For me the major problem, beside esthetic which I do not care much about, was where to put it.

I have two big scratchs but after the first one I thought about moldings. After the second I did not know. Both are about 6 inch apart in the vertical sense. So I would not know at which height to put it. In the middle would be useless.

I reallized that some cars like the Chevrolet Cavalier have the rear doors which open with a pointy shape. Other cars are not at the same height. Difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I think that moldings would be ugly and a waste of time. For the sake of a few seconds walk, I suggest parking at the empty end of any car park to avoid the inconsiderates or the jealous!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, if you really want "body side trim" then look into the Honda kit that's available for the Civic Si. It just sticks on and is color matched to most Insight colors. Looks like an easy fit.

H and A parts has it.

It's about half way down the page...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civicsi.html

Door edge guard is kind of ugly and only useful if you open your door against a wall all of the time.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for molding info

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied to my post about protective door edge and body moldings. I guess they're supposed to prevent dings and dents from doors etc. But after thinking about it I have to agree with you guys that it would look terrible. I'll just continue parking my car far away from all those inconsiderate door dingers out there.

The reason the guy probably mentioned it is because he noticed two tiny vertical scratches by the driver's side door. They (along with a scratch on the mirror) came with the car when I purchased it in April. He offered to fix my scratch on the mirror for $100 and put on the moldings for free. Apparently you just stick them on the car. I think I'll punt on the moldings and might try to putty, wet sand,and paint my mirror scratch myself.

Thanks again all!

Murasaki

1 - 7 of 7 Posts