Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bit of battery trouble, I found a digital ammeter with shunt on ebay for $20 and a analog voltmeter for about the same

very interesting to see what is really happening when you drive as opposed to the filtered information the insight instruments give you

The IMA light would come on, however, and I found it was code 59- a short in high voltage system

on closer investigation, I found the IMA diagnostic system will see anything less than 300,000 ohms resistance from the high voltage circuit to chassis ground

The ammeter had only 5000 ohms between the high and chassis ground.

At first I thought "so much for the ammeter" but then I realized that the ammeter would work on any voltage from 5 to 18v dc, and was isolated otherwise

I hooked up a 9v battery for the power source and now the ammeter works perfectly- it is isolated from the car chassis ground

I've also figured out how to replace and test the battery cells - my insight is kickin' *** now

I did 11.76 at 59 mph in the 1/8 mile drags - mine has 190,000 + miles on it

·
Administrator
11,010 Posts
I've also figured out how to replace and test the battery cells - my insight is kickin' *** now

Please share your full battery test/replace procedure with us. There are several of us on here who have done this. It would be nice to see how you do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts