Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at blocking off the front end once I finally get to mess with my insight. With that said, some people here say that factory temp gauge isn't that great.

So....I was looking at aftermarket temp gauges and temp sensors. Is there a good spot to put a temp sensor, or would you recommend connecting into the stock temp sensor.....or run something off the obd2 port?

Just trying to get some ideas for down the road.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
OBDIIC&C Gauge.

Sam

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't you monitor the temps for far cheaper than that? All I could see is the obd2 C&C at around $300. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Torque app pro

Can't you monitor the temps for far cheaper than that? All I could see is the obd2 C&C at around $300. Maybe I'm missing something.
I have been monitoring mine using a $10 OBD2 Bluetooth from Amazon for Android, $5 Torque Pro App from Google Play Store, and my old Samsung S3 phone. With this setup you can read codes, clear them, find out when it's ready for emission tests, etc.

I had used the free Torque Lite app just to keep track of coolant and Intake temperatures. The Pro App lets users keep track of Air/Fuel ratio and Upstream and Downstream O2 Sensors. When both O2 Sensors match or are equal to zero, G1 is in Lean Burn.

OBDIIC&C Gauge is a lot more capable tool and wort every penny that can monitor and control the IMA among other things.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
I second the Torque recommendation! Super cheap and works perfectly!

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't speak for him, but this is the one I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/

Tried a cheap $8 one first, but it didn't work. This one has worked for all vehicles I've tested it in.
Thanks, that one has been on my CamelCamelCamel list for a year or so waiting for $18

I have bought 3 different $8-10 ones from Amazon. Only two have worked and are no longer available. Sorry haven't been much help.
No Problem, Thanks Anyway

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I figured the scanguage wouldn't be worth it and might as well save that money and go obdIIC&C and go super cheap like that app and a old smart phone.

Good ideas.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks, that one has been on my CamelCamelCamel list for a year or so waiting for $18
Already been discounted for a while, so I doubt it'll go lower anytime soon. That's what I paid for it several months ago when I bought it and it's worked flawlessly, unlike the cheaper ones with poorer reviews.

$22 adapter + $0 spare phone + $0 Torque LITE = good for everything except MPG calculations.

Calibrating MPG with Torque was and is a pain, but that's off topic. Works well for monitoring engine info such as coolant and intake temps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the Torque Pro users, ELM327 is what you want to see on the dongle. The ELM327 chip is the one that works most often.

For what it's worth, you can get a Bluetooth dongle for the Androids, or get a wifi dongle for the Iphones. Either seems to work fine, but the Torque Pro app has a much larger community behind it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already been discounted for a while, so I doubt it'll go lower anytime soon. That's what I paid for it several months ago when I bought it and it's worked flawlessly, unlike the cheaper ones with poorer reviews.

$22 adapter + $0 spare phone + $0 Torque LITE = good for everything except MPG calculations.

Calibrating MPG with Torque was and is a pain, but that's off topic. Works well for monitoring engine info such as coolant and intake temps.
Awesome! Thanks. Yeah, I'm not worried about reading the MPGs.

For the Torque Pro users, ELM327 is what you want to see on the dongle. The ELM327 chip is the one that works most often.

For what it's worth, you can get a Bluetooth dongle for the Androids, or get a wifi dongle for the Iphones. Either seems to work fine, but the Torque Pro app has a much larger community behind it.
Thanks for this info.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just remembered I had one in a car I bought a few years ago. It's only Wifi, but I tested it out with my phone and it seems to work with the torque app!

So that looks like the cheapest/simplest route for now! Thanks all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Awesome! Happy Torquing! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts