Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 Honda Insight m/t with AC. Had one spring sheared and blown shocks. So I read a few posts on 5752 Monroe shocks and found out that they are super cheap. I saw the conduit mod and decided to go another route as this car needed to be safetied. What I did was pop the old bushes and mounts out of the blown oem shocks and modified them to fit the Monroe 5752's. In my experience modifying things this was up there in the odd-ball category. Since the bushes are way bigger than the shock eyes on the 5752's I grabbed a pot, filled it with water and grabbed my locking pliers and my MAP gas torch. I lit the rubber ablaze and carefully watched and scrapped off the now burning rubber to meet the I.D size of the new shock. I will elaborate with pictures soon. Then I applied a light smear of white lithium grease to the inside of the shock eyes and slipped in the old bushes/bars. Used a soap and water to clean around the edges. Applied Permatex Polyurethane to prevent slippage and water intrusion. Let cure for 24 hours. Installed and passed safety. Not bad for under 100 bucks. Honda Canada wants $250 for ONE oem shock.

The 5752 bushes have an I.D of 5/8 inch. Pretty generous amount of polyurethane material but you have to fabricate your own bars out of 6061-T6 aluminum. Which can be done out of 3/4 inch round bar, a digital caliper and a bench grinder/sander. I bought 7 feet of bar for 22 bucks Canadian. I am "producing" some bars and going to order some Koni 80-1013's.

Anyways, again I will further explain with pictures soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts