Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth, one of my two Monroe 5752 rear shocks sprung a leak of Green fluid this week. They've maybe been in service for 3 months or so.

If going with the Matiz springs, I suppose I'd have to join the rest of the group and say, spend the money and get the GAZ shocks.

I have an extra set of these Monroe's, so I'll probably replace it and get the mounting pins from the machine shop in Oregon this time instead of smashing and drilling aluminum pipe, but would not recommend this route if starting from baseline again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
After about 1000 miles on Scott's springs and Gaz shocks I can say this is a neccessary upgrade for the G1's.

I've never had much luck with Monroe shocks. They are kinda walmart level.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what it's worth, one of my two Monroe 5752 rear shocks sprung a leak of Green fluid this week. They've maybe been in service for 3 months or so.

If going with the Matiz springs, I suppose I'd have to join the rest of the group and say, spend the money and get the GAZ shocks.

I have an extra set of these Monroe's, so I'll probably replace it and get the mounting pins from the machine shop in Oregon this time instead of smashing and drilling aluminum pipe, but would not recommend this route if starting from baseline again.
I work at an Auto Plus Pep Boys, and Monroe shocks and struts had a recent transformation with materials and companies. They are having some issues with the seals and such. But rememeber, MONROE SHOCKS AND STRUTS HAVE A LIFE-TIME WARRANTY, so take them back and get new ones. I have processed a few defect returns, but haven't been as much as there were, now that they are fixing the issues. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Gaz Matic Pn# GT95260

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
hopefully koni (or equiv) makes something for our cars
They don't, at least nothing off the shelf. You might be able to find a Koni insert that fits and rebuild the OEM. People have been down this road for ages, GAZ is just about the only thing that has come through.* GAZ rears are off-the-shelf now; there's been one dude who had his fronts rebuilt by GAZ, with coilover sleeves and stiffer springs, for about $600...

*There was one dude who had something exotic, can't remember what they were though. Something from the UK as I recall, high end, and pretty expensive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
AST do/did a full coilover setup for the insight. very proper suspension but last time I enquired you were looking at £2.5k so $3000ish for the full set. I'm running Protech rears which are a very similar thing to the Gaz, although they will build you double adjustables if you wanted rather than the singles. I think they work pretty well They are basically a rear vintage mini shock with a Jag top eye, so all basic off the shelf stuff.

This was my thread:

they are still going fine, one of the adjuster knobs has cracked, but that is all I can fault them on and I 've been using the insight as a builders van while doing work on the house. Regularly picking up 200-300kg of sand or ballast on my way home and sitting it over the back axle, so they have seen some hammer..

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
^ That's what I was thinking of - you're the "one dude" in the UK... What did those cost you? They look really nice, love the aluminum...

edit: nevermind, you say "£63 each + VAT and delivery I had to supply the upper bushes and crosspins myself" in the other thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
eq1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing