Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members,
I recently had 'new' battery sticks installed (probably Chinese) and although the car starts on IMA battery if I don't hesitate with the ignition switch, in less than ten seconds a 'clunk' is heard from the rear (relay?) and both check engine and IMA lights come on. If I turn ignition on and wait until I hear the clunk before trying to start the engine, the 'other' starter engages using the 12V battery. I had a similar fault a few years ago with my old IMA battery pack and with the kind help of members ELI (USA) and PeterPerkins (UK) I found that the 100A LittelFuse had blown. No luck this time, the 100A fuse seems to have continuity. I am 'hoping' that maybe one or more of the PTC strips became faulty when transfered across to the new battery sticks causing this problem. I have decided to try to 'bypass' the PTC strip circuit. The diagnostic unit was only able to show code P1568-00. I am not familiar with the 'count flashes' procedure for sub-codes.
Insight_EU_107 has a great instructive post on bypassing the PTC circuit but when it comes to installing the 35ohm resistor, there seems to be no mention of what watt or is it watt wattage resistor should be used. Is any wattage OK? I am probably showing my complete ignorance with electric matters here. Thanks in advance for any help. Eli, I am still trying to work out how to get a Wollemi Pine across to you (legally) from Australia.
Kind regards to all, David in Melbourne.
ps/ the facility that installed the new battery sticks do not have access to a workshop anymore, so they are not able to take my car in for troubleshooting, etc. I removed the battery pack myself and took it to them for the new sticks.

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
P1568 means one of the following:
Font Rectangle Number Monochrome Pattern

You should blink the subcodes first (search this forum for info on how to do that). Basically you short two pins out on the OBDII port.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Here's a link to a post about 'how to read the blink codes' (and other things): Misc. RESETS

The blink code will tell you which one of the 3 things that mudder mentions has the problem. 66 is the 'voltage tap' circuit, connector at rear of battery computer (BCM, on left hand side of pack). 67 is the 'thermistor' circuits - the 4 temp sensors attached to 4 of the 'sticks' in the pack (they have plastic color-coded shrouds over the wires). 70 is the 'stick PTC' circuit - the single circuit that connects all the strips on each stick together, has a red plastic shroud over I think black wire.

Since you've recently rebuilt the pack, sounds like one of these things didn't get back together properly... It's easy to bungle the PTC or thermistor reconnects, especially the thermistors, they can easily get pinched by the orange electronics-side end board...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a link to a post about 'how to read the blink codes' (and other things): Misc. RESETS

The blink code will tell you which one of the 3 things that mudder mentions has the problem. 66 is the 'voltage tap' circuit, connector at rear of battery computer (BCM, on left hand side of pack). 67 is the 'thermistor' circuits - the 4 temp sensors attached to 4 of the 'sticks' in the pack (they have plastic color-coded shrouds over the wires). 70 is the 'stick PTC' circuit - the single circuit that connects all the strips on each stick together, has a red plastic shroud over I think black wire.

Since you've recently rebuilt the pack, sounds like one of these things didn't get back together properly... It's easy to bungle the PTC or thermistor reconnects, especially the thermistors, they can easily get pinched by the orange electronics-side end board...
Thank you for the information. Regards, David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts