Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking at a 03 with 95k, or an 02 with 45k.

THe 02 is about 1200$ more..

Question is, how are high miles Insights. many people reach 200k miles?
WHat kind of service will a 95k miles inishgt usually need?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Nay; With a $1200 difference, I would say it's about a wash. I would go with the '02 if the seller will reduce price by a couple hundred.

The Insight, if maintained carefully, can go MUCH further than 200K miles. It's just that being sold from 2000 to 2006, not enough time has elapsed for alot of owners to put more than 200k miles on their car.

I purchased my 1987 CRX HF new, then sold it after 502,000 highway miles. No problems along the way, I just changed the oil.

An Insight with 95,000 miles will soon need new spark plugs, valve adjustment/check, coolant change, and maybe transmission oil change. It depends on what has already been done....

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I purchased mine, I looked at it like this.
I assumed that a car's lifetime is 100k. The price I paid was 1/2 retail for a new car. So, I figured at 1/2 the price, then I'm going to get 1/2 the life.

I've read about someone having a 200k insight, but.... if the 45k car is only $1,200 more, I'd take that in a minute over a 95k car. Seems like a lot of miles just to save $1200. What are the total prices?

·
Registered
466 Posts
[Mod edit: removed entire quote in immediate reply, please see the rules, specifically #12]

This seems quite inaccurate - T
#1 - the car ought to have a life far exceeding 100K miles. likely exceeding 200K with no problems other than the very minor routine services. It is a Honda for crying out loud, it should last almost forever (my Acura Intergra I just gave to a friend with 300K miles and it runs like new)

#2 - Paying 1/2 for a car that may be 1/2 of its life is also inaccurate as there is a depreciation for having an older car in almost all cases. Without use they don't hold their value.

As for your dilemma, I'd likely go for the older car with the less miles as there were no major differences, aside from software, to justify the price over being a newer car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i did some searching, as a new member here i am not used to the search function (i find it a little cumbersome) so i may have missed some obvious posts.
Anyway, the differences between model years seem to be with the function and internals of the charging system/IMA. Any notable changes between these years? I think I have decided to pursue the 02.. mostly because i like the idea of low miles and i think i will actually be able to get it. i have already had 1 insight bought out from under me, and someone else is currently trying to buy the same 03 i was looking at. Just want to know if there are reasons to get an 03 vs an 02.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
There really is no significant change from year to year. Mine's an 02 and I still think of it as a new car. I'd go for the lower miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yes, I realize all that. But to justify my purchase, it could be done by saying "hey, EVEN IF this cars life is only 100k, I'm only paying 1/2 the retail price". Make sense? An engineer always errors on the side of caution. So, if in fact the real lifetime of the vehicle is 200k or more, then paying 1/2 retail price is even a better deal right?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yes Jakkedup,

Compaired to no qualification your criteria helps. But as an engineer you should be able to understand that it is an oversimplified approach. In some cases it will be sufficient and serve you well, in others not.

Please let's return to Insight related discussion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts