Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer today presented with a 6 year old green stick pack and IMA light :(

The early replacement sticks really were rubbish. :mad:
Thank goodness they have improved now and we have LTO Lithium options as well.

Anyway a quick voltage tap check showed wild voltage discrepancies and at least a few dead cells.
Pulled the pack and it was clear at least 30% of the sticks had leaked.
Some had also expanded and split the heatshrink.
If the PTC circuit had not been disabled it would have been a HV short scenario and possible BCM damage.

Pools of dried up electrolyte, loads of corroded stick end bolts, all classic leaky cell syndrome.

Anyway fitted a new pack and lots of goodies and all is well again.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
^ Thanks for posting. Good to get some sense of how common this might be... It's some pretty nasty stuff.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old greens sticks really do not tolerate low current balancing charging very well either.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Do you know where the line is drawn between "old green sticks," the ones that seem to have issues, and the rest?

I'm really only aware of two iterations of aftermarket sticks, and even then, I don't know exactly when the old became the new. Seems like the current version must have come out like only a few years ago... That makes me think there might've been at least 3 iterations, where perhaps only the first iteration has these leaky-type of problems...

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say they changed dramatically for the better about 2-3 years ago, but I don't know the exact date.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts