Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 Insight that I purchased last May. When I got it it had 16,000 miles and OEM tires on it. Well, I think someone must have run those tires at a really low air pressure because there is virtually no tread left on the outside edges of the tires. Since I live in Minnesota, ie: Minnesnowta, driving with these in the snow has been a bit of a challenge not to mention a bit dangerous.

I have been able to get a set of rims off of Prelude which are the same size and hole pattern as the Insight's. They have a really nice looking wheel and are either aluminum or magnesium. I am trying to decide if I should just put a set of snow tires on the OEM rims and use them in the winter, or take the new rims and put an all season on them. If I go with snows I will also have to get new OEM's or something as those tires really are shot which sounds like a lot of $$$$ for tires.

I am just looking for ideas and suggestions. I drive about 55 miles round trip to work and back. Not much for traffic or stops. I've been getting about 65mpg overall in the summer and about 55mpg this winter. I've read most of the previous posts on winter and OEM tires, but I still don't know what to do........

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I don't have any direct snow experience, but I will say that Insight's wear tires so there is usually plenty of tread in the center of the tires and little on the outer edges. I've ran mine at 50psi from something like 3,500 miles on and they did the same thing. When I told the guys at costco I was running them at 50 psi and still got that wear pattern they didn't know what to say.

Anyways, they do make Bridgestone Bilizarks in the 165/65/14 size, so you can put some snow tires on your other set of rims and get another set of OEM's for the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Insight rims are worth a lot more money and are much lighter (about 11 lbs) then the Prelude rims (might be 16 lbs or more).
Weigh the Prelude rim before you decide which one to use in the summer.

Even cheap winter tires work much better in snow and ice then the best "all season" tires. If you drive in snow and ice condions even just a few times a month i'm worth gettting winter tires. If you can't find many winter tires in the OEM size 165/65R14 consider the more common sizes that also fit the Insight like 175/65R14 or 185/60R14.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts