Honda Insight Forum banner

most countries driven through in 36 hours in a mk1 insight?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  UK_MJN 
#1 · (Edited)
The week over Christmas I did something which i'm both proud of and not. I took my Citrus Insight Rufio on a road trip to Cerelina in Switzerland. In hindsight the journey there was through some of the worst possible winter weather ( I used to live and work in St Anton, Austria so I know bad winter weather ).

If I were to contemplate doing this again I would...

1) buy winter tyres, not even sure its legal to drive in some of these countries without them

2) get my grid charger fitted, god knows how my battery has suffered

3) find a way of preventing the washer jets fluid from freezing

4) maybe take a driving buddy or some books on MP3, music after 36 hours doesn't really cut it

5) Take more than 2 types of ATM card and make sure i know the pin numbers

6) take all appropriate European charger connectors

7) think about roaming costs for my mobile

8) update my severely out of date tomtom GPS maps

9) buy a good paper map of Europe

10) use via michellan both ways

11) Avoid French roads which don't seem to cope well with excess snow.

12) get a better tog sleeping bag.

13) plan a proper sleep.

14) use showers more at the services.

15) take cuppa soups and more thermos flasks.

16) take better foorwear.

All in all the trip was ridiculously underplanned and because of this a bit of a rollercoaster. I'm thinking of making a small helpful booklet from the lessons I have directly learnt from several scary times in the week that was.

In conclusion I hope I now hold a new record for drivers of the Mark 1 insight which is the most countries traversed in a 36 hour time period.

Switzerland
Austria
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium
France
UK

I almost passed through Lichtenstein too.

but 7 was plenty. All in all about 1000miles

plus took rufio through the 100,000 mile mark so was a momentus trip.

Best MPG 90 through tunnels in Austria.

Worst MPG just after the flat battery in Germany because I fell asleep in a layby with the engine off but heaters on. had to get German Roadside Assistance out on boxing day to jumpstart Rufio. Amazingly they took less than 30 minutes. You have to love German efficiency.

I wish that the team who developed this car knew what its capable of cause seriously I felt safe taking it over the Davos pass in Switzerland at -15 C. Needed snowchains but it proved not a problem.

Lastly made it back in time for my best friends wedding on the 30th as I had to deliver the bestman's speech. He was not best pleased at my slightly spontaneous choice of holiday timing or venue but I think I have been forgiven now.

See less See more
#2 ·
AWESOME!

And thanks for the great tips.

Reminds me of my 12 day trip through Slovakia, Czeck Republic, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Poland. But mine was done in a big Opel (Sigma?) My kids loved having breakfast in the Czeck Republic, lunch in Germany and dinner in Austria. On another trip, I have driven through Lichtenstein...I think...I may have blinked so I don't know for sure...JK Nice country. And I know what you mean about driving through the Alps in the winter. Beautiful and thrilling.

Congrats on reaching one million miles also! If that isn't a typo, that may be just as big of a record than 7 countries in 36 hrs! ;-)

Good job - great write-up!

#3 ·
have amended original yeah my insight rolled over 99999, doh!

#4 ·
3. I'm not sure what's avialable in Europe, but here you can get washer fluid that's rated for -35°F in the Prestone DeIcer brand (but some DeIcer is rated for -20°F, so I expect it would refreeze on the windshield just like the blue stuff does). -35°F fluid for the win.

4. Absolutely. I can't wait for cars that can drive themselves on the Interstate, but until then, a second driver is a great way to relieve boredom and weariness, and travel faster.

#5 ·
Impressive trip, especially considering the European weather this winter!

My Insight best is 3 countries, Sweden, Finland, and Norway, in ~18 hours (overnight in Finland). But that was last summer when the weather wasn't an issue.

You'll probably enjoy future trips even more once you install your MIMA system. PIMA mode makes the Insight feel much more powerful due to IMA assist up even the slightest incline. This aggressive assist also helps the engine remain in lean burn mode longer for excellent fuel efficiency. PIMA coupled with a Rostra cruise control makes highway driving much less tiring.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments, still need to replace my washer motor i think but my most eager update will indeed be MIMA and the grid charger.

Waiting to find a good clear day for myself and Peter to do the mods as there is no way I want to fry me or Rufio for the sake of more MPG. I'm now where near as electronically experienced as most folks on here and that being so ill wait and learn from those who know. Like a late Christmas present I guess.

Thinking about my next big road trip already any suggestions?:)

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments, still need to replace my washer motor i think

Thinking about my next big road trip already any suggestions?:)
Thanks for the humorous tale :)

On the first point, I replaced my washer motor with new Honda part and that made no difference at all. I am coming to the conclusion that the strength of the 12V system in winter is to blame for the weak washer jets. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them!

On the second, may I recommend Norway, taking in the Eagle and Troll passes and the E6 north to to (say) Tromso, and then back along the coast (Senja etc) using the fantastic ferries. PM me and I'll actually look at the maps.

I attach just one photo to indicate why that might be good...

#9 ·
If you reg use screenwash it forms a viscous jelly like lump in the bottom of the washer reservoir if not diluted correctly. Empty your washer reservoir then stick a hose pipe down it and flush it out for 5 minutes. Report back.

#10 ·
Thanks Peter.

I did empty the washer bottle when I replaced the motor (hard not to!) and refilled it through stocking mesh to filter out any foreign objects, but that's short of a proper flush, so I'll try your suggestion when the weather is better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.