Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
To answer your specific question, on a full tank I'd have no problem traveling 500 miles.

I have a 2013 Insight with a bit over 1000 miles on it now. So it's hardly broken in [drivetrain components still not meshing quite as smoothly as they ultimately will] and it's been a very cold 2 months here in northern Ohio since I've purchased the Insight. Even so, on the first 3 measurements I've taken, filling the tank each time with approximately half a tank of fuel burned, I've recorded 49.8, 51.2, and 54.2 mpg respectively. In all 3 instances, the recorded mileage was at least 300 miles and the driving situations were 25% city and 75% highway, with a majority of the highway miles on 2-lane roads with stops every 5 or 6 miles on average. Average air temperatures since I've owned the Insight have been approximately 30 degrees.

I'd say that 90% of my driving in the Insight has been strongly focused on getting maximum mileage, although I do run within 5 mph or so of the speed limits and am not being a nuisance on the highway. Within the next 2 months, with more miles on the Insight [better broken-in] and warmer temperatures, I expect to record some "trips" between re-fuelings of 60+ mpg. My mileage may not be typical, because I am not commuting to work and therefore never in a big hurry to save a minute as I'm driving, but it certainly shows the potential of the current-production Insights of getting up to 20% better fuel economy than the EPA ratings.

Probably the worst economy scenario, from what I've seen, is driving a block, then stopping for a traffic light, then driving another block or two, then another traffic light, etc. Another bad one is starting out with a totally cold engine, driving a mile or two, stopping for long enough for the engine to totally cool again, then coming out and returning home on a cold engine again. The best economy scenario, perhaps, is driving in a suburban setting with a 45 mph speed limit and only an occasional need to stop, like every two miles or so. In that situation, very light accelerator pressure is needed to get up to speed and maintain low-40s mph, so the dash readout constantly shows a minimum of 50 mpg and often up to 100 mpg. In these suburban settings, if wind or elevation isn't a major factor, I'm sure that 80 mpg is a realistic goal, so I don't mind in-town driving at all, so long as the stops aren't too frequent. Auto-stop also comes into play in saving fuel during in-town driving, but it's difficult to balance those 25 mpg periods of getting going from a stoplight with the opportunities to coast at 100 mpg when you're forced to stop again in 200 yards. Momentum is your best friend in fuel economy; never forget that!

·
Registered
389 Posts
The maximum miles I get per tank is roughly 380 miles...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much does it cost for a full tank of gas?

do you guys put regular gasoline or premium?

do you guys notice any differences in gas mileage between regular and premium gas? do you get more mpg if you put premium gas

cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
how much does it cost for a full tank of gas?

do you guys put regular gasoline or premium?

do you guys notice any differences in gas mileage between regular and premium gas? do you get more mpg if you put premium gas

cheers
Have never used anything other than 87 octane with 10% ethanol, which currently is at $3.75 per gallon here. I can't believe that Insight owners are getting 320 miles per tank. The tank in my gen2 is 10.6 gallons, I believe, and I got nearly 50 miles per gallon on my very first tank; better since then. Of course, mine is in perfect mechanical and electrical condition, tires inflated to 50 psi all around, and I drive for maximum economy whenever I can. Not bragging here, as it's no reflection on me that a new Insight has this capability. But after I've had it for a few years, maybe I'll lose incentive to drive as carefully as I do now...

·
Registered
389 Posts
You must be driving really slow to achieve that much miles and also accelerate slowly which annoy other drivers on the road.

Gas is ~$4.19 where I live for 87 (California). I average around EPA (40 to 44 mpg) usually with mix driving of city and highway. Around 9 gallons consumed, the fuel light usually comes on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can't believe that Insight owners are getting 320 miles per tank. The tank in my gen2 is 10.6 gallons, I believe, and I got nearly 50 miles per gallon
You described pretty well what less than ideal scenarios are for driving an I2 in your earlier post. How does a congested (forget stop and go, we're talking stop and crawl in places) 9 mile each way commute with 8 sets of traffic lights and 4 roundabouts, passing over a big hill in both directions sound? Combine that with a bunch of shorter local journeys (usually from cold stats) all in a very hilly area.

I see 60mpgUK (50mpgUS) regularly on sufficiently long journeys but it's very rare that it can carry on for a full tank. From the middle of the UK, I hit the sea in less than 300 miles in pretty much every direction except north.

How far you drive from cold starts and then where and when you drive are by far the biggest influences on mpg in this car.

A quick look on fuelly will demonstrate that a significant minority of I2 drivers get much less than 300 miles to a tank. Some others consistently get spectacularly high mileage though.

By your own admission you inflate the tyres to 50psi and look to limit speed to 60mph. You are therefore not a typical driver.

None of this is intended as a criticism, I just think we have a duty not to misrepresent the car's capabilities to prospective buyers. Sure, I've seen 70-80 mpgUK for longer individual journeys on gently rolling terrain taken at 40-60 mph but that just isn't normal day to day use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My wife drives like a bat of of hell all over the Los Angeles basin with the A/C cranked all the way up (menopause) and still gets between 38-42 MPG. It is certainly not the best it can do, but she does not care as it is so much better than the monster van she used to drive. By the way, the car itself is capable of higher mileage, as we have had high 40s tanks when traveling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
These last two posts make extremely good points, and so long as we don't mislead potential Insight drivers [or newbie owners] in either direction, I'm content. Recent postings in the "36.4 mpg" thread perfectly illustrate what I believe to be the most typical situation with gen2 Insights. The difference between driving for economy and just driving can be 15+ mpg, which is huge. And many reports from experienced Insight drivers acknowledge a similarly huge difference between driving in optimal conditions and in the most un-economical conditions.

An enormous pet peeve of mine is when people on vehicle forums [or elsewhere in life] make apples/oranges comparisons. For sure, the seasoned Insight owners on this forum do not engage in this practice. But some newbies and potential Insight buyers compare worst-case Insight economy scenarios with best-case scenarios for other vehicles, or almost as bad, with EPA ratings for the Insight or another vehicle, and conclude [or express concern] that the Insight "is not all that." Unfair comparisons! In best-case scenarios, which some Insighters and would-be Insighters may not ever take the trouble to explore, the Insight has potential to significantly exceed, not just meet, mileage expectations. Where any individual's real-world, daily driving falls on the scale between worst-case and best-case scenarios depends on a lot of factors. And one would hope that researching these factors and taking them into consideration becomes a big part of one's vehicle critique process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Insight EX, and have gotten 52 mpg on the first tank (actual miles driven divided by gallons to fill up). This includes everything: my daily commute, a couple of in-town trips, and several longer highway trips. I'm certainly not driving like a maniac, but I'm not holding up too many drivers, either. I also haven't gotten stuck in much really bad traffic. So far, I'm very happy with this car!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You must be driving really slow to achieve that much miles and also accelerate slowly which annoy other drivers on the road.

Gas is ~$4.19 where I live for 87 (California). I average around EPA (40 to 44 mpg) usually with mix driving of city and highway. Around 9 gallons consumed, the fuel light usually comes on.
I live in a semi-rural area (just outside a town of 40,000) that doesn't tend to have a lot of hectic traffic. I find that the Insight with its CVT transmission is surprisingly quick while seeming slow: that is, accelerating slowly I still am keeping up fairly well with traffic between lights in town, and if I head out into the country, I rarely have anyone behind me before I'm up to speed. After I'm up to speed, I usually drive 2-3 mph *under* the posted max limit. Anyone who has a problem with that can pass. So far, no road rage incidents, but if someone rides my bumper, they quickly learn that I won't put up with that. So in 55 mph zones I set cruise at 52 or 53; in a 65 area I cruise at 61 or 62. I do the same, by the way, when driving my 325 hp Chevy pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the summer I've been getting about 480-510 miles/tank. In the winter it goes down a lot to about 420-450. I'm about to turn in my best tank; I'm at 480 miles with about 1/5 tank of fuel left.

And no, I don't drive slow but I do take advantage of momentum whenever I can. I use this car for pizza delivery so I'm required to drive somewhat aggressively.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I typically work through the night. On my way in, there is some traffic and occasional slowdowns ( I start with a fairly event free 2 lane road to an interstate, then finish off through about 3 miles of traffic lights). I will see the readouts vary from 43 - 48mpg. I am still keeping up with traffic ( and not being excessively slow or creating backups)while trying to be as efficient as possible. (It is a tough balance especially when going into work near the weekend, when everyone else is trying to go home).

When I leave work, I am traveling the exact opposite direction as the majority of people going to work. This will include a short trip in an industrial park, right onto the interstate, then a transfer to another highway, and finally back to the two lane road leading to my house (keeping speed below 60mph when possible and anticipating any lights or slowdowns, my mileage will easily exceed 50-52mpg).

So an average, I exceed the EPA figures for the gen2 Insight but it is mileage is variable on the traffic conditions.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't want to brag, but...

Ah what, I DO want to brag!

Because I got 66.02 MPG from my last tank.
Yup, the entire tank! Yes, it is a Gen 2!
and No, my PHEV kit is no more than a couple of plans yet.

I suspect the pump clicked early, but it went right up the filler pipe when I gave it a second try.
851 km and just 30.33 liter, that's 528.79 US miles on just 8.01 gals.
See my fuel log on Ecomodder.com.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I once did 930km (578 miles) on a tank and when i filled 'er up i had another litre or so in the tank. Mountainous terrain, mixed cycle (city-highway) slow speeds up to 75 km/h (46 miles/h).
:D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts