Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is new for me, although I've had my Insight since January 2000 and 128,000 miles in Northern Calif. My question has to do with the IMA light which just flashed on for two days then when of. No power loss or other issues arose. The Honda dealer said it was failing and needs to be replaced at a cost of $2000. No lights are on and no other signs of malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm inclined to drive it until the light goes on again and stays on.[/b]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Control Module Replacement

To Aron Cake et al:
I'm not sure I understand your recommendation: Is it to not drive until the light goes on, perhaps forever, or to fix it now? I do want my Insight to see 200m miles Currently 128m miles) but I don't think it will fetch two grand on the market(american $, of course). :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you do need to replace it try HAP auto recyclers in California, they have a couple of totaled Insight's they are parting out. You should be able to get a MCM from them for a lot less.

One consideration though, there is an updated MCM around 02 and if you could find one of those, or a older car that has had the IMA pack replaced (in which case the pack, MCM and BCM all get replaced) you'd have more updated software at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MCM Replacement &Seats

Thanks for the words of wisdom. This is a teasury of info. While we're at it: where do you get good seat covers or replacements? The Insight's seats were never cool: They're magnets for dirt and impossible to clean.
Lamb seat covers look like junior pimp-moble from the 60's. There most be something that looks and feels better.
CC 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Katzkin can make you leather covers :D

These would replace the existing seat covers though, not just slide over what's already there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: MCM Replacement &Seats

Craiker said:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. This is a teasury of info. While we're at it: where do you get good seat covers or replacements? The Insight's seats were never cool: They're magnets for dirt and impossible to clean.
Lamb seat covers look like junior pimp-moble from the 60's. There most be something that looks and feels better.
CC 8)
http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/merchant. ... Code=HONDA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:( Well, I just had my 5 yr old Insight diagnosed as needing a whole new IMA system, including the MCM, the BM and the BCM. And the cost is $5700! far more than the car is worth. All the local dealers want to replace the entire bundle: few dealers or Honda repair shops have a clue in replacing one part or repairing the system. I understand these are literally whole computers , not just a chip, so I can understand they are expensive. I can get the parts used but nobody wants to install them. And of course, nobody will warrent anything. I don't mind putting some money into extending the life of my lil' baby but this is rediculous!

By the way, the HAP yard in Rancho Cordova, Nor Cal, has batteries for less than $1000 if any body needs one. They're $5000-6000 at the dealer. I don't need one yet.........
CC

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Call Honda customer relations. $5,700 is ridiculous :!: The "standard" cost is $2,100 for the IMA battery pack installed. And about $1000 each for the MCM & BCM (optional) parts only, less than 5 minutes for installation _with_ the IMA pack.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine will be next then.

Well, sounds like that's why mine was in a used car lot. The guy that previously owned it saw this catastrophy coming in the car's daily driving symptoms and bailed out before the bomb hit. Now I'm left holding the VERY expensive bag as the next sucker in line :x
The only glimmer of hope is that the used car dealer is 'willing to work with me' about the problem if it recurs (which I'm sure it will after the 12v battery "reset"). I may swap it for the Mazda Miata that was parked next to it. (zoom-zoom, anyone?)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I seriously doubt that there is more than one component bad. Just my opinion, but if anyone wants to replace several components, they haven't a clue what they are doing. I suspect there is one cell bad in the pack. Sadly your biggest challenge will be finding someone that knows what they are doing! It could be that one of the computers or electronic components is bad, but that sort of thing does not usually repair itself. I would hang in there as long as the car runs fine. Meanwhile try to find someone that can do some real servicing other than replace half the car and hope that they stumble on the right solution.

Many years ago my father spent tons of money trying to repair an intermittent problem with his 65 Pontiac convertible. As a last resot he let me go at it, and I was glad to check it out as I needed to borrow the car from time to time. It turned out to be a corroded connector on the firewall. :roll:

Sorry to sound preachy, but it really pisses me off when I see people getting ripped off. A friend of mine just had his $10 distributer cap replaced for almost $1,000 U.S. dollars (including a tow and a rental car) :evil:

As I see it there are three possibilities. 1. The IMA computer went bad and that fried the batteries. 2. A cell went bad in the pack and that produced the other symptoms. 3. Your car got "struck by lightning" causing multiple electrical and electronic failures. Although possible, I really doubt the third case!

Wish I was nearby and could give you a hand for a day. I'm really sorry for what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:roll:I've been able to drive it with out the IMA for the last week and it runs fine. No zip from or assist from stop lights or going up hils but it still gets 49-55 mi/gal and hits 75....slowly but gently. I'm going to continue too hunt for a good knowledgeable mechanic that can be more specific about what has to be replaced. I've put on about 500 miles without the IMA working and, while not the pistol it was before , it's still OK.

The battery was fully charged when this happened two weeks ago then its gone to zero in a heartbeat. I hope the battery hasn't gone out as well.

Oh, and don't buy the Miata. Its noisey and getting long in tooth.

CC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts