Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car inspected as part of its 90K mile service (the car currently has about 93K miles). Both my local dealer and my local tire/suspension shops commented that my transmission and motor mounts are cracked and starting to tear. I'm not too worried since there's no roughness during shifts (the kind you would feel from the engine or transmission rocking back and forth) but I do have some questions for high-mileage owners about this:

(1) Did you ever have to change your motor mounts? After how many miles?

(2) Did you get the parts from Majestic Honda or somewhere else?

(3) Did you do the work yourself or pay to have it serviced?

(4) If you did the work yourself approximately how many hours did it take? Any special tools required?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I believe the motor mounts should last the life of the vehicle. I've probably had over 20 vehicles in my lifetime and only had to replace them on one car and that was way back in the late 70's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resist said:
I believe the motor mounts should last the life of the vehicle. I've probably had over 20 vehicles in my lifetime and only had to replace them on one car and that was way back in the late 70's.
Well, I can't explain *why* they need replacement. I had the car inspected when I bought it (~73K miles) and the mounts passed inspection at that time. I've had two different shops tell me they now need replacement so I'm not sure if they shop that did the inspection just didn't check close enough or whether something else happened.... either way they need to be replaced.

Can anyone send the service manual pages?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Rishi, perhaps members weren't sure what you were looking for. I assume you want to know how to remove the mounts and replace them yourself. The motor has to be suspended by a chain apparatus. There are 3 mounts. To get at the lower one you will need to raise the car or drive it over a pit. Try to ascertain ahead of time if you need all thee or just one. Will PM you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kip was kind enough to send pictures of the motor mounts as well as the service manual pages.

I had the car re-inspected by the dealership that performed the "Pre-Owned Vehicle Inspection" and they have stated that only one mount needs replacement (the lower transmission mount). Since they've agreed to perform the labor if I pay for the part my issue seems resolved for now.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
motor mounts

Great news....... Since you are paying for the part, by law you are entitled to the old mount. Specify that you want the old part. (Sometimes dealers tend to "lose" the part when you ask for it.) Please take pictures and post them here if possible.

Thanks!

Willie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts