Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what might be an ideal "hot rod" engine swap for a gen 1, Also has anyone attempted a hybrid swap with a newer insight setup ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you can dream it (and afford it), anything is possible. That being said, these cars are popular candidates for K-series. Would be cool to attach some sort of IMA on it.

Welcome aboard

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can dream it (and afford it), anything is possible. That being said, these cars are popular candidates for K-series. Would be cool to attach some sort of IMA on it.

Welcome aboard
Thank You Tekuno ! I am an old American Muscle Car guy. I just found and purchased a 2004 insight. I am fascinated by its design, technology and construction. It is fun to drive ! I now have a new hero in my pantheon of car gods, Soichiro Honda !

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a K24 from an Acura TSX in mine. Honda's K series aren't particularly efficient engines, at least compared with their SOHC motors. My car has ~240 naturally aspirated horsepower and I tend to average a little below 50mpg in the summer and low 40's to upper 30's in the dead of a Vermont winter. With my stock engine I tended to average upper 70's in summer and upper 50's in winter.

The engine looks like it belongs in the bay, honestly. I think could I do it again, I would have gone with a K20 with an "economy" head, and a very small turbo. Probably better fuel economy and more scalable power. I really don't need the throttle response I have right now, which can break the front tires loose at 70mph just by goosing the throttle.

Hasport sells mounts and axles that make the swap relatively simple, and the Insight's wiring is extremely similar to RSX and S2000 - most body sensors and dashboard signaling are the same.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
280 Posts
Also has anyone attempted a hybrid swap with a newer insight setup ?
I've often wondered if one of the larger IMA motors could be used with the stock Insight drivetrain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts