Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The September 05 Motor Trend issue features another hybrid-bashing ad. :evil: Under the big red Dodge Charger, the Ad reads, "The Charger Hybrid-It Burns Gas And Rubber."

I told Dodge, to be straight and a more honestly-worded Ad would read, " The Charger Hybrid-It Burns Gas And Marines". Don't these guys care anything for our country?

Probably I should lighten up. I know the Ad was meant to be witty. But my 15 months in Afghanistan, truly nothing compared to what our troops are experiencing, depleted much of my humor in this regard. I would be delighted to grab Dodge "By The Horns" and get right in their face.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not believe Dodge is issuing a hybrid Charger. If this is the case, then the Dodge Ad stinks. If I am incorrect, then I'm pretty embarrassed and please accept my apologies for the confusing post.

The Dodge website says nothing about the Charger being available in a hybrid version. The Allpar forum for Charger enthusiasts indicates that the Motor Trend Ad is a joke on hybrids, w/ one poster stating, "of course it is not a hybrid in the normal sense! It's a DODGE CHARGER, not one of those foren cars, like a Toyota or Honda".

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php? ... opic=63111

·
Registered
49 Posts
I told this to someone earlier and he joked that they could call all their cars hybrids by saying: our engines burn both gas and oil.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I still don't what all this has to do with Marines....but okay.

The term Hybrid doesn't just mean a vehicle has a gas/electric motor. There are hybrid car/truck combinations as well.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm a little amazed that people aren't getting it. :)

"The Charger Hybrid-It Burns Gas And Rubber."

They're using the word hybrid to insinuate that it is FUELED by gasoline, yet engine power allows you to BURN RUBBER (ie. burnouts, drive quickly, slide around corners, etc.).

It's a little play on words.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
About the Marines...

Many Marines (and many other brave servicemen and -women that choose to serve in another service branch) serve proudly around the world to protect our freedoms here at home. And there are many civvies, rightly or wrongly, who are of the opinion that our troops fighting in "the Sandbox" are mainly protecting our oil supply, so the very act of our wasting fuel (driving Hummers, e.g.) exposes them to unnecessary danger. Thus the "burning Marines" comment... right, sputnik?

It sounds like a stoopid Dodge ad to me (haven't seen it), not necessarily a "bash," but I can see the humor in it. Perhaps the "burning Marines" line was a little over the top, but hey, it ain't quite "The Aristocrats." :shock:

I sure don't want to make this thread deteriorate into a left/right argument, but I do know one thing... we can never repay those who serve or have served our country far from home, in order that we may enjoy our "domestic tranquility." But we try and thank you anyways... as My Beloved and I continue to, for instance, pick up dinner checks anonymously at restaurants for men and women in uniform, or pay for movie tickets for the soldier and his date in line behind us, etc. etc. (and we were doing that on and before September 10, 2001). :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts