Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am impressed. That is a lot of work. I have an actual canoe to build first.
Might be a while for the insight mod. I too did a fairing for my BMW in “72”.
No CAD, just my eye and my gut. It worked great. Bike : faster, dryer, way more comfortable. Fairing, cedar strip and fiberglass. Held to bike with inner tube rubber. I would still do it in a similar manner. By eye, gut, experience, and low tech. It will be a while before I do it. I’m glad to talk about it tho. Talks cheap and valuable at the same time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am impressed. That is a lot of work. I have an actual canoe to build first.
Might be a while for the insight mod. I too did a fairing for my BMW in “72”.
No CAD, just my eye and my gut. It worked great. Bike : faster, dryer, way more comfortable. Fairing, cedar strip and fiberglass. Held to bike with inner tube rubber. I would still do it in a similar manner. By eye, gut, experience, and low tech. It will be a while before I do it. I’m glad to talk about it tho. Talks cheap and valuable at the same time.
I would love to see the fairing you made. I've got a 60's Wixom on my R60/2. It's fiberglass of course and serviceable but none too pretty.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Drifting off topic?

I hope not. Want to respect the site. I think the philosophy of the BMW slash 2 and the insight overlap tho. I have owned and love both. I miss that bike.
No pictures of the fairing. I’m sure it was crude. I was twenty seven. But it made a huge difference in the ride experience. And I learned from the project as I do from all of them. 2000, i’ll Bet your Wixom does an even better job than my Franklin. Just quite a bit heavier. My latest ocean shell at 24’ weighs a little over 30#. Boat building programs ones brain and eye to create fair sweet hydro and airodynamic compound curves.
And by the way some serious bikers call fairings, barn doors, implying increased wind resistance over the stock bug eating, rain soaking, freezing, exposed human wind breaker.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Has been said

Boojum, as we have been saying. We need to talk.
Almost out of the weeds.
‘64’ R60, ‘67’ R60US long gone
‘2015’ fit , 2005 5sp blue pearl
‘99’ Toy. sienna pickup.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ahh other airheads are also Insighters!

My shed currently houses a 1951 R67, a 64 R60/2, a 66 R27 and a 68 R69US.. I had an 88 R100RS until recently and a slew of other marques in the barn.. The RS was the first production motorcycle to have a factory fairing designed with the use of a wind tunnel by a gentleman named Hans Muth working for BMW. It really is a lovely fairing and provides excellent weather protection and great aerodynamics.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That explains it

First, took me a while to discover where our part of the discussion got moved.
2000. That’s a dream collection. You are in Pennsylvania. It was while I was at Pitt that I became aware of beemers. First one I rode was a friends R27. First bike I bought, a somewhat funky 64 R60 I rebuilt enough to run very reliably. Cost me $400. Still my favoritte of all. The one I built the fairing for. The second, the R60US. I took to show room condition. A time sensitive mistake. When I had to sell it no one around me seemed to care. I could only get $1800 in 1992. Then about two years ago I looked for an R 26 or R 27 and they were all $10,000 ! Missed my chance I guess. A friend of mine in Berkeley had a 50s R 67. That beautiful tear drop tank.
My Insight is my motorcycle.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
I suggest google Cedric Lynch electric bike/motorcycle.

I've met him several times and seen his remarkable aerodynamic contraption many years ago.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call

That was very interesting Retepskinrep. Cedric, his bike, but that motor is something else. Before I decided to just relax and get an insight, I had another project in mind. Take a full suspension recumbent mountain bike, motorized it and put a slippery airodynamic wood and fiberglass body on it. I’m glad I didn’t.
The time I know I would have put into it will be much enjoyed on the road, in the mountains and the wilderness. I still think it is a worthy project tho. And Cedric’s motor would be perfect for it. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts