Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm moving to canada this summer and I have some questions. First, will Canada charge me duties on my 2005 insight when i cross the border? Second, Does anyone know if there are restrictions on putting an vehicle into a storage unit for an extended period of time? I'm not talking mechanincally, but legal or environmental restrictions imposed by the storage yard owners. Long story short, I'm moving to the arctic for 2 years and have no need for a car, but don't want to sell my insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those are serious questions that require official answers in writing from the proper authorities.

But I've never heard of any legal issues about storing a car for years.
People do it all the time often because it takes them years to rebuild/fix an old car in their garage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Duties are not charged but

When you move to Canada with your vehicle you need to have the vehicle exported from the USA and then Imported into Canada. If you do not all kinds of doom will be cast upon you be customs agents.

I am Canadian but was living in the USA for a few years. We drove our car down to the States and it was a hassle getting it registered and properly licensed. Then when we returned to Canada last summer with ths same car we were almost denied entry because we had not properly exported the car out of the States. Nevermind that the car was from Canada in the first place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I think it won't be charged any duties, but i wasn't sure. I guess i'll just have to fight the red tape and see if i can get a straight answer from customs... :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a Canadian to bring a US car in, it's no problems. Check http://www.riv.ca for a bunch of useful information.

The only thing special in your case is that you're migrating, so you may actually get away with exempt status with the provincial tax on registration. But I think (and I could be wrong) that you're still subject to the 6.1% duty and the 7% GST plus the $100 A/C excise tax.

I've brought two cars up from the US prior, and it wasn't that big of a hassle, as long as you do your homework first. On the US side, make sure the original ownership is at the border you'll be crossing 72 hours prior. On the Canadian side, it's pay, pay, and pay.

Victor

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm confused about the difference between Duty and GST. Does everyone have to pay GST on all goods they bring in? Or is it only for automobiles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh you poor poor soul... You'll learn a new meaning to the word taxation, as just about everything you buy (with exception of very few items) are subject to a Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 7% now and will be reduced to 6% come July 1st. Welcome to Canada.

Duty is for imports only.

Cost to bring in a car (assuming import; migrant rules may be different):

- $210-ish for the paperwork by RIV (http://www.riv.ca)
- 6.1% Import Duty
- $100 A/C Excise Tax
- 7% GST on purchase price (or book value), or 15% HST for select provinces
- X% Provincial Sales Tax (or 0% in Alberta or provinces where HST is applicable). In Ontario, it's 8%.
- Any additional costs to bring car to Cdn specs (will be listed on riv.ca)

If you're coming in as a migrant, you may not be subject to any of the above. It's best to talk to RIV and the tax man (http://www.cra.gc.ca).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts