Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Insight EX for two weeks and it now has 658 Smiles.

The gauges in the car indicate that I have been averaging 51.9 mpg, However when I fill the car up at the gas station ( twice) my Actual MPG is more like 47 mpg. That is close to an 8% error.

47 mpg is good but my expectations were effected by the Insight's gauges, and therefore I'm disappointed. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
My indicated has always been UNDER the actual over the past few tanks by a couple mpg. I've been around 59.7 indicated, 61.1 actual. Indicated is an approximation. Only hard numbers will be accurate. Since you're in the high 40's, I need to ask - what mode to you drive in primarily (eco, normal, sport), and are you a "spirited" driver? You should be at least in the low 50s unless your trips are very short.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My indicated has always been UNDER the actual over the past few tanks by a couple mpg. I've been around 59.7 indicated, 61.1 actual. Indicated is an approximation. Only hard numbers will be accurate. Since you're in the high 40's, I need to ask - what mode to you drive in primarily (eco, normal, sport), and are you a "spirited" driver? You should be at least in the low 50s unless your trips are very short.
I have always used ECO mode and since I'm 71, I drive slowly because I have no need to rush around. I also use the paddle regenerative pads when approaching a stop. I cruse to stops, and start slowly.

Like I said the Insight indicates an Average of 51.9 mpg. The car has indicated over 70 mpg on some trips, but I do take a lot of short trips (City Driving), so I should be getting much better gas mileage.

47 mpg Actual vs 52 mpg indicated is a Big discrepancy

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have always used ECO mode and since I'm 71, I drive slowly because I have no need to rush around. I also use the paddle regenerative pads when approaching a stop. I cruse to stops, and start slowly.

Like I said the Insight indicates an Average of 51.9 mpg. The car has indicated over 70 mpg on some trips, but I do take a lot of short trips (City Driving), so I should be getting much better gas mileage.

47 mpg Actual vs 52 mpg indicated is a Big discrepancy
City driving is all well and good, but if the trips are short, the engine will not go into EV move during ECO unless it is up to operating temperature. I feather throttle when I drive to try to force EV mode as much as possible. The increased regen via paddle shifter is best used on a loooong downhill. Short uses haven't proved to be that beneficial. Also, staying below the "hump" in the accelerator pedal will save tons. If you floor it, you're wasting gas. The best advice I can give it to get up to speed slowly, and stay out of the "power" section of the gauge as much as possible. Just those two things have proved successful to the point of 60+ mpg.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have had my Insight EX for two weeks and it now has 658 Smiles.

The gauges in the car indicate that I have been averaging 51.9 mpg, However when I fill the car up at the gas station ( twice) my Actual MPG is more like 47 mpg. That is close to an 8% error.

47 mpg is good but my expectations were effected by the Insight's gauges, and therefore I'm disappointed. :(
Dave, two factors come to mind to possibly explain that 8% error. (1) Gas tank not being filled to the same point each time. (2) Tire pressures too low.

Regarding (1): To accurately determine the amount of gasoline used, the tank has to be filled to EXACTLY the same point as the prior fillip. The automatic turn off is not accurate enough for this calculation. The nozzle can be ajar in one way or another on one fill up, but not on the other. If the nozzle is inserted exactly the same both times, any kind of additional gas beyond the auto turn off, to will give ya that kind of error.

The source of the error has to do with the determination of the amount of gas used; that is, the gas actually in the tank, plus the gasoline in the pipe. That is, the pipe that runs from the gas tank to just under the gas cap. This space filed, partially filled, or not filled with gasoline leads to what I think of as false high and false low "actual" mpg numbers. On fuelly, one can see a sine wave pattern in a series of fill ups, as the false highs average-out against the false lows and a more accurate overall mpg average emerges.

Regarding (2): Your tire pressures could be too low. New cars as driven off the dealers lot notoriously have other than recommended tire pressures. If so, cold-tire pressures should be reset to at least recommended pressures. I suggest doing this first thing in the morning before moving the car, for accuracy sake; and repeat once a month to compensate for temperature changes, bouncing over bumps, other air loss. (I got my own pressure gauge and portable battery powered air pump.)

At fuelly.com I've recorded every drop of gas that has gone into 3 cars since 2010. A few years ago I looked at my data and memory of many efforts made to get top mpg (without vehicle modification). I sought an answer to my curiosity of how much does doing one thing or another actually impact mpg? Specifically, what are the factors that explain my above EPA mpg figures? My data based intuitive answer, in summary form is below FYI

Consistently above recommended tire pressures 40%
Basic high mpg. driving style (see Hasard below) 40%
Careful tarrain awareness and battery mgmt for top mpg. 20%

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuelly ave mpg is 50.6

So many giving me advice on why my mpg is so low, but not addressing the question about the difference between indicated mpg and actual mpg.

My mpg is based on over 650 miles. Not significantly different than the average of All insight on Fuelly.

I also drive in a hilly area, and Southern California is also known for high speed freeways, where traffic moves at well over 70 mph.

I have been driving for over 55 years, and understand how to get good gas mileage, BUT that still does not explain the significant difference between indicated mpg on the insight ex instruments and my Actual average mpg based on Over 650 miles of driving.

Thank you for all the advice on how to get better mpg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So many giving me advice on why my mpg is so low, but not addressing the question about the difference between indicated mpg and actual mpg.

My mpg is based on over 650 miles. Not significantly different than the average of All insight on Fuelly.

I also drive in a hilly area, and Southern California is also known for high speed freeways, where traffic moves at well over 70 mph.

I have been driving for over 55 years, and understand how to get good gas mileage, BUT that still does not explain the significant difference between indicated mpg on the insight ex instruments and my Actual average mpg based on Over 650 miles of driving.

Thank you for all the advice on how to get better mpg.
It's an estimate. Here's an interesting link:
Should You Trust Your Car's MPG Display? | BestRide

The above link mentions several other vehicles that were 7-10% off optimistically as well.

I am tracking my fuel economy with Drivvo now to get more accurate measurements. Nothing to report yet. I wish I had started tracking when I got my first fill-up but I only started tracking at my last fill-up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dave,

As an owner of a 2019 Insight EX and with several fillups already, I can attest to the mpg readout on the dashboard consistently being (approximately) 2 mpg LOWER than my calculations. When I fillup, I fill to the maximum and do not top off. Not sure why your calculation is coming in lower than the readout.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The readout is a toy. There is no way beyond making rough guesstamets it can know what the actual MPG is. It is there to help folks adjust their driving style.

Everyone has already told you to check your tire pressures. If this is not something you have paid much attention to in the past, it’s time to start.
You need a compressor and a quality tire guage. They need to be measured stone cold in the AM. Being “of a certain age” myself, I know how hard it can be to get back up once down there, but it will be worth the effort. Dealers are required to check pressures, but they are always doing that warm. So you will have to do that yourself.

I don’t think you have enough miles on your Insight to judge how it will really be. These cars are weird and take some adjustments. Old dogs can learn new tricks. But in LA, sometimes you just have drive a forget about mileage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
.....BUT that still does not explain the significant difference between indicated mpg on the insight ex instruments and my Actual average mpg based on Over 650 miles of driving.
The most likely cause is my number (1) below "Gas tank not being filled to the same point each time."

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm at 1,614 miles and have an actual 60.2 MPG average over those miles.

I have found the indicated to be 1-2mpg lower than actual mileage. I fill until the pump clicks and never top off. i drive gently and mainly in ECO mode. Most trips are winding country roads and are 50 miles long. Short trips will kill the mpg average.
NICE going ! That beats the city EPA number for all those miles, impressive!

Please consider naming the car and opening an account at fuelly. You could link from this forum and all could observe your mpg progress over time.

Secondly one could enter a note to the fill up, with the car's indicated mpg since the prior fill up; allowing for an on going comparison. Over 5 or more fill ups, and many cars, we could come up with a relatively accurate determination of the error in the cars' mpg indicator (i.e. "toy").

·
Registered
605 Posts
(tire pressures)....need to be measured stone cold in the AM. Being “of a certain age” myself, I know how hard it can be to get back up once down there, but it will be worth the effort.....
:) I can certainly relate to that! I used to squat down and use a foot operated bicycle pump to get that last 1 or 2 pounds of air in each tire. My wife suggested sitting on a foot stool. I got one for 50 cents at a thrift store, and wow what an improvement in ease of getting up and down that made. Later on I discovered a small battery powered compressor / air pump at Auto Zone. Cost was around $50.

So now "doing the tires" as I call it, takes hardly any exercise at all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well darn it... I set my Trip B odometer to auto-reset when I fill-up but I forgot to look at what MPG it said before I filled up today.

But I do have my first MPG estimate from Drivvo based on fuel fill-ups and actual odometer readings... and it is 51.6 MPG. Not bad but not great either. I do live in Texas so there's a decent amount of air conditioning use but it is cooling off a little bit now and should cool off a lot more in October.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well darn it... I set my Trip B odometer to auto-reset when I fill-up but I forgot to look at what MPG it said before I filled up today.

But I do have my first MPG estimate from Drivvo based on fuel fill-ups and actual odometer readings... and it is 51.6 MPG. Not bad but not great either. I do live in Texas so there's a decent amount of air conditioning use but it is cooling off a little bit now and should cool off a lot more in October.
The "combined" EPA city/highway is 52. As you get a better feel for the subtles of the car, and the AC use declines, that mpg actual number could get higher and higher! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

Go to the trip computer app in the center console and select the B meter. It keeps the past few trip stats!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cool! I will check it out and update this post a little later.

UPDATE: Trip computer says 50.9 MPG, Drivvo says 51.6 MPG so very close... this was only based on about 266 miles though.
Mine has been showing about 1 mpg under actual for every tank since I've owned the car. I guess that's better than the other way around!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you beginning with the dealer filled tank? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a half gallon or more below where you fill it to. The gauge would still read full but there would be space left.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
My 2006 manual trans/oem tires filled to 60psi/no cruising with the engine shut off has always been 1 +/- .1 mpg optimistic over 700+ mile tanks, topping off.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts