Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fall is upon us and I think it would be fun to have a Challenge to see who can get the best MPG over the course of a complete tank. Not just a short commute. I figure people could post the best numbers this time of year as the use of A/C will be minimal.

This idea might be total bogus but I thought this would be fun.

Just post a pic of your MID, and a brief description of city/highway ratio and maybe the weight load you carried for that tank. (I know some people claim 1-2mpg inaccuracies in the MID but nevertheless we'll all get the idea.)

Lets see what the GEN2 Insights can do!!!! :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Red Devil will win this.

No pic but my last tank was a personal best. 59.5 mpgUK indicated (58.6 mpgUK calculated). Sounds pretty good but our gallons are bigger so it just equates to 49.5mpgUS or 4.7 l/100km

I was on holiday so car fully laden, 2 adults and 2 kids plus luggage most of the time. Air con turned on for higher speed roads, off for lower speed. Mix of 50, 60 and 70mph roads. I do tend to drive to the speed limit but do let some speed bleed off on hills.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Here's my fuel up records from Fuelly.

I attribute that improvement over the last few months to having my rear brakes disassembled, cleared out and reassembled around February, after they were found to be binding.

I don't expect to match RedDevil's consumption, for two main reasons. One is the hills and winding roads round here. The other one is I'm unwilling to drive much below the speed limit. 60 vs 70 mph top speed makes quite a difference. In an 18 mile daily commute about half is on 70mph limit dual carriegeways. I am encouraged that my best tanks are better than RedDevil's worst though :).

Oh yeah - I run my tyre pressures at stock too. Everything else at stock, apart from Toyo Proxes CF2, which are slightly lower RR than the stock Dunlop SP2030s, and it's running Honda Green Oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my fuel consumption

My last tank was 64mpg,53.3 US mpg,4.4l/100km,22.7km/l. That was calculated tank full to tank full. Indication is always about 4% optimistic.
My average over 9621 miles is 62mpg, 51.6 USmpg,4.6l/100km,21.9km/l.
I have owned the car since late Feb so haven't done a winter in it yet.
I suspect the overall 12 month average will be closer to 60UKmpg.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Would be fun to give it a try. We've definitely cooled down here for the time being. I have a lot of hills and curves to drive, but it's not insurmountable. Have not planned any bigger trips than my normal running around, so may take me some time to go through this tank.

Need to check the tire pressures now that we're averaging temperatures consistently 10 to 20 degrees lower than previous month.

Hopefully, there won't be a need for other family members to drive the Insight during this tank of gas... that will usually drop my average quite a bit (I suspect that heavy feet must be their problem!).

Will stick to speed limits as much as possible. I tend to drive fairly conservatively... no speeding tickets in the last 40 years.

Did get one speeding ticket in Florida between Panama City and Fort Walton Beach (1972 or 73) heading back to a midnight shift during my stint in the Air Force at Hurlburt Field... no one on the road, it was after 11 pm and got caught by a bored Florida Highway Patrol for 5 over the speed limit. Then got caught in southern Germany on my first day out on their roads... was passed very quickly by about 5 cars where their Autobahn ended north of Garmisch back then somewhere close to Oberau. The speed limit lowered quickly as the we headed over a single lane exit... and when I came to down a curve to the old road, the German Polizie just grouped me right in with the bunch of speeding drivers that had just passed me. Nothing I could do to get out of that, and my German was too weak at the time to help in 1974. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So gotta be doing something right or just extremely lucky. Probably a little of both, since I do try to keep pace during trips that involve the crazy fast Interstate traffic these days. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts

My Saturday driving:

IMG_20140907_140229.jpg

Note that my indicated seems to give 6mpg over actual.

I have three potential fuel economy increasing items to be completed shortly. Namely a green oil change, the software updates, and the replacement of a weak 12v battery. That should increase my odds :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Software updates and a healthy 12V battery will contribute.
You won't notice the effect of Green Oil - yet.
I got it late this spring so most of my experience with it is under mild temperatures, and I cannot tell the difference.
Though we had one very cold morning this summer and as I expected fuel economy suffered on the first few miles - but not by as much as I was accustomed to at that temperature in the winter and early spring.

Ordinary oil gets thicker as it gets cold, exponentially when below freezing.
Green Oil should do that way less quickly, if my Japanese is accurate.

(it isn't really, no idea what it says. Nice colors though)

But the proof of the cake is in the eating. This one needs to be served ice cold for greatest effect.

·
Registered
831 Posts
dtm257, I think, by looking at your MPG display, you may have failed to mention that where you live, everywhere you drive must be downhill! :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That looks like a RHD tach to me. If it wasnt for the mileage, then for the UK MPG on the Fuelly tag :)
Impressive, anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here was my short flat 3.7 mile trip from gas station fill up/ODO reset to my wife's place of work the other day... if only we didn't have so many hills around here! I would love to see this more often...

[/URL][/IMG]

Currently hanging around 59 mpg on the MID, I think. I have to climb about 700 feet from the coast to my house... so it's gonna be difficult to beat big MPG numbers.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think that's why we want full tanks. Hills and cold starts kill the fuel economy. My daily commute is over one big hill. No way around it without turning a 9 mile journey into a 30 mile one.

I'm guessing we're not going to get many high figures from people with short commutes in the mountains.

Edit: Since runing Honda Green oil my winter MPG improved to the tune of about 3-4 mpg. Summer's rougly the same as before.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What oil were you using before switching to Honda Green? No other changes, like tire pressures, fuel brand or driving style?

If no other changes involved, then Green Oil has to be pretty slick stuff for that kind of MPG boost.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't know what the car had in it when I bought it 2nd hand. I suspect a fully synthetic 5w30, which is what I've found dealers put in unless told otherwise.

Also changed from stock Dunlop SP2030 tyres to Toyo Proxes CF2, a LRR tyre that's not available in the USA. Another thing that may have made a difference is using a traffic avoidance app (Route 66 Navigate) on my phone over the last winter. I guess it probably saved some time sitting idle. Another thing that may have made a difference was the last winter was wet but mild in the UK. The previous two were colder.

At my service and MOT in February my rear brake discs were found to be binding so they were cleaned and reassembled. The binding will have had a detrimental effect but it's hard to quantify it. We'll see how this winter does.

I should clarify, summer mpg seems unchanged. I'll edit the earlier post as it could be misconstrued.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here was my short flat 3.7 mile trip from gas station fill up/ODO reset to my wife's place of work the other day... if only we didn't have so many hills around here! I would love to see this more often...

Currently hanging around 59 mpg on the MID, I think. I have to climb about 700 feet from the coast to my house... so it's gonna be difficult to beat big MPG numbers.

Foresight, I think our cars are sisters or is it brothers... :-? Both cars from Raleigh and near identical mpg numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Last tank, the one discussed in my introduction thread...

Also, this tank calculated out to 59mpg when I pumped. I used a different pump then I always do as the gas station was packed. So car could have been slightly off angle. But I pumped 8.5 gallons for that tank. I consider the MID to be spot on 90% of the time.
I think I would have stayed over the 60mpg mark but we had three consecutive days in the 90's and I had to blast the A/C. Also, keep in mind these numbers are posted with a cargo load of approximately 500-550lbs. (I carry my kids with me everywhere I go as I am a stay at home dad)

Current tank is starting off solid as the last two days have been in the high 70's and I haven't had the need to run A/C....

·
Registered
831 Posts
We've cooled down quite a bit so no A/C used so far this week. Have been doing chores around the house and yard... or at least catching up on them, so I haven't driven in the last two days. Will take me a while to go through this tank, for sure.

Raleigh cars must be set up for great MPG. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Foresight
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing