Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just continues to produce great MPGs.

It was down to the last Vapors!!!

Duh!!!!

But really close to empty according to this MID message...

And it took a full 8.9 gallons to fill... the most fuel I've gotten into the tank so far.

Take that, Prius!:)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
It just continues to produce great MPGs.

It was down to the last Vapors!!!

Duh!!!!

But really close to empty according to this MID message...

And it took a full 8.9 gallons to fill... the most fuel I've gotten into the tank so far.

Take that, Prius!:)

Was Cosmo Kramer with you?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

According to Edmund's, the gas tank size is 10.6 gallons for the gen 2.

So you've got another 94 miles to drive after the gas light comes on at that gas mileage (55.5 mpg from the fill up data).

:)
Sam

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Cosmo with me :)... I got half way down to meet some friends for a bike ride and forgot my drink bottles, so had to go back for them. Had plenty of gas to get to the ride meet and then to get to the gas station after the bike ride, without the extra miles back for the forgotten bottles. The extra miles on road pushed it closer to empty. Did drive a little farther than I needed to use the number 1 pump at the same gas station I've been going to the last few fill-ups.

I noticed that the miles to empty were speeding up as I got to the gas station. Miles to empty display is probably programmed to try to get you to the gas pump before cooking the car's fuel pump. It's good to know that there's a little extra reserve in there when the needle points down at the big E. I usually get fuel when I'm down to a quarter tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just made a few trips that shed light on mileage.

On a recent 242 mile roundtrip between the Keys and Miami, I averaged right around 55 MPG. That is with a 2nd adult passenger and the a/c blowing the whole time.

On a more recent round trip of over 1000 miles, I averaged 45 MPG with two other adults and their luggage in the car and the a/c blowing the whole time.

Very respectable numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yupper. I had the low gas light on once and stopped at a shell station at the urging of my passenger. They were sold out of regular and medium grade leaving just premium. I just purchased a gallon and the low gas light was still on, but I went another 40 miles before the next stop. :evil:

According to Edmund's, the gas tank size is 10.6 gallons for the gen 2.

So you've got another 94 miles to drive after the gas light comes on at that gas mileage (55.5 mpg from the fill up data).

Sam

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am so glad I went with the Insight thanks to these guys here. The MPG is excellent. During the summer I get like 54 mpg with A/C on and during the winter with A/C off I get between 60 & 64 depending on my driving habits. I live in Central Florida.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
60-65 MPG in the winter

I am so glad I went with the Insight thanks to these guys here. The MPG is excellent. During the summer I get like 54 mpg with A/C on and during the winter with A/C off I get between 60 & 64 depending on my driving habits. I live in Central Florida.:)
My winter mileage is like yours. With the a/c off, my 2011 Insight EX typically gets between 60 and 65 MPG running up and down the Keys.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda Corporate musta had a hand in that low EPA rating to keep em from having to build so many of these Insights!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Foresight,

You bring out a good point. Ya know Honda has yet to bring out a dedicated Hybrid to replace the Insight. They still have the CRZ but i wonder how long that will be for? Are they still making the Insight in any of the Asian Markets?

I still remain very happy with my car despite the cheaper gas prices. I go everywhere with sipping gas. It's neat stuff for sure!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The next gen Insight is called Civic :)
New 2017 Honda Civic takes a bow: specs, official pics and full details | Auto Express

Not really an Insight shape but for practical purposes it compares well to the I2. Lighter than the current Civic (though slightly larger) and may come as a hybrid too:
Chief Operating Officer, Katsushi Inoue, admitted Honda is also considering adding a hybrid model to the range to compete with the Toyota Prius.
He said: “After the [Volkswagen] emissions scandal, we have to think about it. We are big on hybrid in Japan and the US - we have that technology.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just my opinion for what its worth, but the Civic Hybrid appears to be a Civic with the Hybrid fit in to the existing structure. The Insight was geared up to be a Hybrid and everything is fit in so well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You gen 2 Insights were the Honda Fit as a hybrid and not really much different than the HCHs. I really don't understand why they even used the Insight name for it when it has more in common with the Civic Hybrid and Fit than with the first gen Insights. The 2015+ Hybrid Accord is the most interesting newer model as it has a better (actual EV mode) hybrid drive-train than the Hondas before it.

There wasn't a Civic Hybrid for 2016. I don't know if there will be one in 2017. If they do bring it back, I would assume it'll get the updated drive-train design.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No hurry for this car maker to get back to a smaller hybrid again. Gasoline is "cheap" at the moment. I'll have to wait to classify it as cheap until it slips back to 17 to 20 cents per gallon. That's what I paid during the "gas wars" in 1971.

Hope I can keep this hybrid for a while yet. I like getting 52-57 real mpg, depending on season. It's still money in the bank and a good performing ride. I have zero complaints about this second gen Insight. Does everything I need at the moment. Still think the next car will be electric, now that range is growing to reasonable distances. Eventually we'll see induction charging which should eliminate the last of the electric range limits.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The Civic and Fit were designed to have hybrid engines too.
The previous gen Fit shares its platform with the Insight.
If I had not gotten a sharp deal on my Insight I would have bought a Jazz (Fit) Hybrid.

The IMA system is not very demanding design wise either. The motor and CVT are integrated with the engine block, the battery and electronics are not that big.
It could be retrofitted to about any car.

But it makes no sense.
The new Fit with its 1.3l Atkinson engine is more economical than the Fit Hybrid ever was. A member on the Dutch HondaHybridClub forum had one as a courtesy car and averaged 3.5 l/100 km indicated.

If non hybrids get about the same economy, what is the point of making hybrids?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Adding a hybrid system to a car adds weight and is a more complicated setup. If the two cars are identical aside from the hybrid system being added, then the hybrid will definitely get worse fuel economy if it's all highway miles and either better or worse in city conditions. Better due to regenerative braking and ability to cut off the ICE during stops, but more weight costs more energy during acceleration.

However, having an electric motor added to the drive-train allows for use of a smaller ICE without sacrificing peak performance and the change to the torque curve from the combined setup allows for different (taller) gearing without hurting performance. That is where overall efficiency goes up. If you compare two cars with the same chassis/body, but one's a 2000 lb. hybrid with a 1.0L ICE and the other is 1900 lbs. with a 1.5L ICE; and they're both tuned to have similar performance curves, then the car with the smaller ICE should be noticeably more fuel efficient. Gas engines are pretty inefficient when being used at a fraction of their rated load. If you can deal with horrible acceleration, then you could put a 20hp engine in a small car and get great gas mileage.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I still suspect that the I2 was designed as a stop-gap car to cover the gap in Honda's line up circa 2011 when they dropped the diesel Civic Hatchback in Europe due to not being able to shoe-horn in a DPF that would have allowed them to meet emissions regs. They needed a low CO2 vehicle for business lease customers until they got the 9th generation Civic up and running. I suspect the Insight name came from an intention to compete in the American market as an alternative to the Prius.

At least they didn't take the VW route regarding defeating the diesel emissions regs.

I really like the look of the new Civic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Like I said before, the only reason I think that the Insight is still not around is the pathetic job Honda did on the advertisement of this vehicle. I think this car is every bit as good as the Prius. I actually beat my buddy who has a Prius in MPG. Granted, his driving style could be different than mine so I want to be fair.
I am glad that I came to this group before I made my purchase :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had a really interesting experience with MPG yesterday.

We had really high winds in Wisconsin yesterday coming from the west. I had to make a trip 80 miles to the east to Milwaukee and then head back the same way west to Madison.

On the drive there, with the wind at my back, I managed to get 52 MPG going 75-77 MPH. I don't think I've ever seen my car get such good gas mileage at speeds that high.

On my drive back, into the wind, I got 31MPG going 75-77 MPH.

WOW. What a difference the wind can make. Just wanted to share my experience.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts