Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the MPGs are a little off on the screen but it usually shows 48-52 MPG but I only get about 400 miles on a tank of gas. I am not a mathematician but that doesn't add up.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
And how much gas do you put in after this 400 mile tank?

Some important info missing from this post.

Sam

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just fill up twice, preferably at the same pump until the first click. That will give you a controlled amount of fuel that you can divide into the range you get. You can then see how accurate your computer is.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
It was roughly 8 gallons
400 miles / 8 gallons = 50 miles/gallon.

Seems like it was dead on for you (most people it's ~2mpg too high.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I don't have a range, I've got a 2004 Civic Hybrid. All I get is the instant/average MPG.

You could get close to that range if you ran your tank completely bone dry.

With a 10.6 gallon tank, 50 mpg gets you 530 miles until your car rolls to a stop. I always fill my tank with about 1.5-2 gallons left in the tank, cause I like some safety margin.

Sam

EDIT: My car has a larger 13.2 gallon tank, I usually put around 11 gallons in it at 500-550 miles (45-50 mpg)

·
Registered
15 Posts
A little disappointed, just filled up the tank for the 2nd time so I could get the exact MPG. Got 45.4 MPG w/ a fill up 7.299 gallons. Pretty good considering it was all city, no HWY... but the MID was showing a tank avg of 49.7.

I guess I cant complain too much, I am beating the EPA's estimates by a good bit!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I never trust the dash gauge. Mine hasn't been accurate on a single tank since I purchased my insight. I track my fuel mileage on Fuelly because I can text my fillups in and it keeps track for me. My average this winter has been about 42.6. It's been pretty cold here and driving around in two snow storms sent those two tanks into the high 30s.

However, all of my tanks on the MID have reported in somewhere in the 46 to 50 range without fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Think I may have caught part of the problem for the lower MPG. I checked my tire pressure today and the front tires are at 33 and 31PSI. Rear tires are at 30 and 30.5. Gonna up them for sure, hopefully that'll help a bit. I've looked at some of the tire pressure threads. What would you recommend putting mine to? I have the stock 2010 dunlops

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Max. side wall pressure, (Stamped on the tire) If you don't mind the harsh ride.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, just put some air in so curious as to how it does. Wondering if this will improve the MID MPG reading or if it would just make the MID more accurate to the actual mileage.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I have a 00 Insight and a 03 Civic Hybrid, and with both if I drive really hard or really light on the gas right after I fill the tank MPG, the miles per gallon get off either high or low for the entire tank. I think the computer just can't figure out the real MPG, if you jack it up right off the reset.

I'm also a nut and drive 50 mile after the low fuel light comes on...never run out and ussually have half a gallon left.:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 43 psi front, and 42 psi rear, check them every week, my lowest MPG this winter so far is 48 and highest was 50 ... Cold weather sucks. With the Ecopias on my 2012 EX, I don't actually feel any decrease in comfort at 43 psi ... Really nice tires, made in Japan too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Miles/tank and tire pressure

I usually have 2 dashes remaining when the gas tank light comes on, giving me about 40 more miles to drive. I fill up after the last dash disappears, about another 10 miles.
I fill up with 10.1-10.3 gals, with 660-720 miles driven.
I've kept tight records on each fill up, with the difference of what the FCD states as MPG and what the difference is in the total miles divided by the tank full, and yes, usually the Insight average is higher than reality by 3MPG...

Tire pressure is hugely important, and following the guidance of what the tire recommends, taking into account that a few pounds less in the back for the weight of the IMA, is best. My tires/manual state to do 38 in front, 35 in back, and I do 1 pound more to get better gas mileage, realizing I'm giving up a bit of traction/control on turns/embankments...altho 1 pound isn't a biggey, as 3-4psi difference would create more dangerous conditions...

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Mileage meter on the instrument panel will always be about a little optimistic. This is an due to regional changes in gas quality, weather, tire pressure (the tire pressure light will go on only when 1 or more tires are several psi lower than the factory setting.). It is going off of the driving habits and feedback from the ECU.

I always manually check my mileage by dividing the miles driven/by actual gallons added and am typically lower than the mileage monitor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts