Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is what I have.

2006 manual honda insight. 63,000 miles. I just recently bought the car in CA and had it shipped to VA. The lifetime MPG is saying 66.2. I was able to get 70 MPG on a short trip all highway for about 35 miles. However, aside from that my mpg stays in the 50s. Right now I have gone 160 miles with an average mpg of 50.7. To me this just seems sort of low.

I have done the following to see if it helps the MPG.

1) AMS oil
2) K&N air filter
3) trying my best to use cruise control when I can

I have not yet checked the tire pressure lately but it was good. Say 43 psi

What is going on? Is my MPG normal. I know VA has some hills and is not completely flat but this just seems a little crazy to me.

I read a post before that mention the EGR problem. I have noticed that form time to time my car will sort of "jump" if that makes sense. Not sure what that is but it does not do it often.

Any suggestions,

Thanks,

Drew

Oh my battery seems to be working fine. It normally has a 1/2 to 3/4 charge all the time but sometimes falls to 1/3.

Also, the back tires should be replaced them seem to be worn down but the front are in great shape.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
1) AMS oil
0W-20? use spec oil.

2) K&N air filter
no advantage due to Insight's outstanding low pressure drop at intake;
any 'increased flow' is moot; filter doesn't filter as well as paper

3) cruise control
Not good for mileage, hurts, but nice for leg and hip strain on long trips;
watch the FCD bar and 'lift'; you can do a better job
Dip switch #1&#2 adjustment set "off" on Rostra is possible to reduce gain on throttle actuation rate.

If you travel in a loop hills can average out. Shift down to third and lift throttle slightly; use less assist where possible and regen as much as possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For temp. It ranges between 45-70 depending on the day. I would say I stop about 4 times on a 20 mile commute. I have the OEM tires. My MPH is an average of probably 50.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would I move it to the gen 1 page?

Also, update I just put air in all four fires and they are at 45 psi. Also got some fuel injector cleaner.

Going to check the mpg.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
79 Posts
How would I move it to the gen 1 page?

Also, update I just put air in all four fires and they are at 45 psi. Also got some fuel injector cleaner.

Going to check the mpg.

Post a new topic over in the Gen 1 forum. I don't know if mods here can move topics here the way they can on other forums. I assume not since they haven't already done so with this one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire pressure in the back was at 34 for both and 37 in the front I bumped it to 45 all the way around.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
City driving is going to kill your mileage. Stop and go is the enemy. Get the tires to 45-50+ psi for a safe pressure. Then LEARN TO DRIVE for economy. It's all a learning curve. Report back after a tank of gas, not 35 miles etc.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This should probably be moved to the Gen. 1 forum ...
Yes, it can be a bit confusing without numerical delineation between the two distinct sections, especially if viewing threads via 'Today's Posts" menu item, utilizing the subforum listing at right of the thread:
i.e.
Gen1: Problems and Troubleshooting
Gen2: Troubleshooting and Problems
Gen1: MPG Issues
Gen2: Honda Insight MPG
Gen1: Modifications and Technical Issues
Gen2: Modifications and Technical Discussions
The confusion can compound unbeknownst with a thread title selection such as "MPG Issues" misplaced in the second gen section, while citing first gen ownership. Lolz. An emphatic "HELP!" plea will usually bring a quick response too.
Without any number 1 or 2 shown in the subforum names cited, to avoid confusion, readers may later recall as an axiom that while all groups within can have 'Discussions', only the first generation Honda Insight owners have "Issues" and in their case "Problems" occur before "Troubleshooting".

drew' - best luck practicing good fuel economy techniques and be safe. Operating an Insight correctly will influence the way you drive almost all other road vehicles thereafter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so after about 45 miles I am getting 55.6 this is probably 60% city and 40% highway driving. Still seems low I may get new tires and a front end alignment this week and see what happens.

Also the highway is not very flat two big hills

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha I will run full tank. Also, I may have a IMA battery issue my battery has now dropped to a sigle bar. It has not been above half all day.

Can I take it to honda and get it checked out? It has 63,000 miles and I think it is still under warranty. Not sure what is going on.

Thanks for all the advice,

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Honda isn't going to help until the CEL and the IMA light come on.
Try not to use any assist or as little as possible. Sounds like you have been using a lot of assist without charging the IMA battery back up. That will also kill your mileage.
Use the hills in your area to get regen to the battery.
HTh
Willie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts