Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

At 32k miles, my Dunlops were running quite bare. I live in SoCal and on 10 mile commutes to work, in which around 60% of the distance is highway driving, I'd get around 48-52mpg on the MID with the Dunlops at 38 PSI all around.

I just bought four Bridgestone Ecopia 422's at Costco, sized at 195/60R15 87H as I've seen several folks on these forums raving about this tire size (the Yokohamas in particular). There were one or two reports of the Bridgestone Ecopia 422's here as well, and they were positive.

So I've had the tires for around 30 miles worth of driving, and have them at 41 PSI all around (they felt too sloshy at 33 PSI). It seems like my mileage in moderate stop/go traffic and on the highway has dropped a bit. On the way home today, the MID stayed at 40-41mpg on the highway, whereas it would normally be around 44 or 45mpg (around 68 mph). In the city (moderate stop/go), normally mileage would hover in the mid 30s, but it dropped to the high 20s/low 30s. That said, there was a bit of a headwind today so maybe I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The max sidewall of the tire is 44 PSI, but I feel like they are still a bit sloshy at 41 PSI all around (measured using an accurate digital gauge). Should I try running a bit higher?

Also, I've never had an alignment done, and the car is 3 yrs old. Could this perhaps help?

Maybe the tires just need to "break in"?

·
Registered
194 Posts
tires need to break in. i would give it atleast a couple hundred miles if you're doing mostly highway. If you still have trouble then you may have a legitmate issue with the tires performance.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Maybe the tires just need to "break in"?
All new tires need to break in. Rolling resistance is always higher with brand new treads.

MPG aside, have you experienced a reduction in tire noise and smoother ride with the Escopias?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All new tires need to break in. Rolling resistance is always higher with brand new treads.

MPG aside, have you experienced a reduction in tire noise and smoother ride with the Escopias?
The ride does seem a bit smoother, but not tremendously so, more "damped" if anything for larger bumps (speed bumps are a LOT better). Handling seems better when cornering turns; I certainly feel more comfortable turning at a higher speed. There does seem to be a bit more "slosh" when steering marginally to the left or to the right at highway speeds.

I think road noise was decreased too, but I don't have a digital sound level meter to verify.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 in 175/65R15 size? It turns out Costco has these and would be willing to swap them out within 30 days if I'm still not satisfied.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Getting an alignment check is a very good idea. Mine was way out, hurting mpg and greatly decreasing tire life. I had it checked again after just 12k miles on the new tires and it had just slipped out of spec. Needing a very small adjustment.

This may be a factor of early production vehicles, but also could be an on going design weakness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it matter whether I get the alignment before or after getting a new set of tires? I've read that it doesn't, but when I called to schedule, the receptionist said otherwise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does it matter whether I get the alignment before or after getting a new set of tires? I've read that it doesn't, but when I called to schedule, the receptionist said otherwise.
i usually would always get an alignment after i put on the new tires

I don't see the point of doing it before... it just makes more sense that everything is aligned with the tires you'll actually be using already on the car.

I haven't had a need to do anything with the insight though. I thought my car wasn't aligned properly when i first got it because it would always pull to the left a little if i was in the left most lane.

But then over time i realized it was only on certain highways that had a bit of a slope for water run off. Since we have such thin tires/wheels they are more sensitive to being pulled with the road then a wider set up would be.

Also i think bumping up my tire pressure has helped... haven't really noticed the car pulling anymore it seems to drive perfectly straight where i can just make minor adjustments with two fingers while just cruising.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts