Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute to work 46 miles each way daily at 70 - 80 mph lead foot issues...my mpg was always around 51 mpg so I decided to let off the gas and drive 55 the whole way in 5th and my mpg went up to 82 for a one way trip to work. I really need to install the cruise control I bought last year.
I bought the car with 112K miles used its an 2000 and I just accepted the fact its an older car 50 mpg was good enough, but I never new it would do 82 pretty crazy.

Areg

·
Registered
495 Posts
... so I decided to let off the gas ...
Areg
Aside from the "big" engine, slowing down IS the "big" secret behind the rather good MPG/KPL which these little cars can offer their drivers..

Also, as an old volunteer ambulance corps member, you might want to keep in mind that - speeding and bleeding have a lot more in comon than simple phonetics.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
741 Posts
Also:

Don't use the brake. Plan ahead so you don't need to use the brake-gas-brake-gas metholodogy of most drivers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My boss just got through saying to me, that he doesn't really believe I'm getting over 80mpg every day driving to/from work. But it's just like you said, there can be huge gains when you drive modestly. No more bumper riding, no more racing, and heck, I even feel better physically, due to less stress.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... But it's just like you said, there can be huge gains when you drive modestly.
In addition to the safety factor(s) from slower speeds, there's the outright enjoyment of going around in these little cars, and they are fun to drive.

·
Registered
224 Posts
areg,

In an effort to understand your modification, I re-read your posted message and came to the conclusion that the "modification" was in driver behavior.
This modification can result in big fuel economy improvements in almost any vehicle (not quite so dramatic without the lean burn feature, though).

There's an ubiquitous disregard for posted speed limits in the USA.

In an effort to advertise the benefits of rational driving behavior, I have a window sticker in the left rear window that reads:

55 MPG AT 80 MPH :(
80 MPG AT 55 MPH :)

Unfortunately, it seems as though no one passing slows down enough to read it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[mod edit: removed entire quote in immediate reply. Please review the rules, specifically #12]

How true. I usually cruise at 55mph on the parkway. Mind you the speed limit is in fact 55mph, but I feel like I'm parked with how fast other people drive.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... I feel like I'm parked with how fast other people drive.
If you feel depressed when those "fast runners" zip by you, consider for a moment the MPG you're getting when they do. Then consider what they're getting as they quickly disappear - safely and far away from you.

... ever see what happens to a car when the tire blows out at sixty or seventy miles per hour or when the speeder hits a deer or a dog the size of a German Shepherd or the like at those speeds? It happens more often than most suspect and it's not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As new owner of a "new-used" 2000 insight, i have only been driving it a couple days now. Ive been extremely sensitive with the throttle, usually hovering btw 55 and 60 on the highway.

This morning on the way in I had to merge from a connector into the fast lane of the highway that I was continuing on (that's just the set up if the highway).....so im merging at my usual 55 to 60mph..... i swear i nearly got run over by people FLOORING thier yukons/escalades/explorers/expeditions.

Everytime I hear someone FLOOR IT to get by me, Im envisioning the one gallon of gas that is being sucked in by his engine just to get in front of me only to wait in the traffic back up (with me) closer to downtown.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... just to get in front of me only to wait in the traffic back up (with me) ...
Experience is showing me that if you're driving that Insight properly, you will loose most, if not all, of those "races" from STOP sign to STOP sign, from red light to red light.

And, if auto-stop has engaged, try to keep from smiling too noticeably when you hear the noise of those gas hogs all around you, just sitting there, doing nothing and getting perhaps, at best, 30 MPG, as the owner(s) wait with anticipation for the next "race" to begin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Highway mileage

We recently shipped our 2000 Insight back from Maui, and drove from San Diego across country to North Carolina at interstate speeds. Including the 168 miles driven back on Maui before the car went to the dock, we were rewarded with 76.5 mpg for the whole trip. As an added bonus, the final leg of the trip was on one tank, from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Asheville, North Carolina, a distance of 806 miles. For that leg we got 81.5 mpg, which is a new record for this car. The car, incidentally, has received the full 2000-01 design flaw upgrade from Honda, so has all new charge electronics, battery pack and engine computer upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi larry. Welcome to the forum and congradulations on your excellent mileage. :D

"Design flaw upgrade", is pehaps a tad harsh considering thefist Insights were built and shipped long before there was signifigannt feedback from real world tests. There has been some suggestion that the upgrade was more to do with the durability of the batteries supplied to Honda than a flaw in the design of the Insight. (Honda noted in a press release that the batteries in the second generation Civic were a more durable design around the time that they retroactively lengthened the warranty on the Insight system.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
2000-2001 factory upgrade

Hi Kip,

Thanks for the welcome!

On the "design flaw" comment, please be aware that the recall letter from Honda USA specifically identified the problem as a design flaw. It would only become apparent with drivers who are careful to keep their battery pack fully charged as much as possible. My approach to the car's operation included driving in a manner that often maintained the battery pack at full charge, and the design issue resulted in overcharging, which accelerated deterioration of the battery pack. Following the factory upgrade, which incidentally was done after the car was already SIX YEARS OLD (I'm totally impressed with Honda for doing this! :D The total invoice absorbed by Honda USA for my upgrade was over $8,000! :shock: ), it is obvious that the new charging logic results in the battery pack being brought to full charge and as soon as it is, further charging immediately stops. My original electronics would continue to charge the pack at a high rate for a significant period beyond the point of showing "full charge" on the charge gauge.

To further credit Honda, they also changed the warranty on my battery pack to TEN years from date of purchase! I can't even begin to say how pleased I am with the treatment Honda has provided me. I received a lot of nay-sayer flac from people for buying the first generation Insight, and now I have irrefutable evidence of how Honda takes care of people who "take a chance" with a brand new technology!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the issue of the continuing charge. That does sound like a design flaw. Decent as it is of them to fix the problem, it takes rare honesty for Honda to admit that in writing. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
nemystic said:
In an effort to advertise the benefits of rational driving behavior, I have a window sticker in the left rear window that reads:

55 MPG AT 80 MPH :(
80 MPG AT 55 MPH :)
I tell ya, getting over 60 mpg averaging 75 mph on a trip to Philly from Akron is pretty darn impressive to me!

The sticker probably should read:
55 MPG AT 80 MPH :)
80 MPG AT 55 MPH :D

Besides, the ultimate thing that should be advertised in such a sticker is the fact that people drive so fast between distances, where the speed difference is rather insignificant to the amount of time saved. Where as going 600 miles, the difference between 60 mph and 70 mph is hefty. Where as driving 30 miles on the highway (the distance of typical commuting!), the difference between 60 mph and 70 mph, time wise is less than 5 minutes.

So much fuel gets wasted to save such a trivial amount of time!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've entered "The Silver Bullet" in a local car show at the American Legion in Pocono Lake, a show to be held in August and you guys just gave me an idea for a poster which I'll be using. In an on-and-off manner I've been thinking of just what type(s) of display(s) or posters to have printed up - again, thanks for the tips.

- anyone want to bet "The Silver Bullet" will be the ONLY Insight there?
- anyone want to bet I'll be asked "Where to you plug it in?"
- anyone want to bet there'll be a load of SUVs there?
- anyone want to bet there'll be a "ton" of "Muscle Cars" there?
- anyone want to guess which car'll have the highest MPG stats?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: 2000-2001 factory upgrade

LarryCorless said:
I can't even begin to say how pleased I am with the treatment Honda has provided me.
I am a new Insight owner (bought 2 weeks ago) and I have to echo your comments. I bought the car on eBay and was in the process of driving it from Colorado Springs to Nashville when the catalytic converter died and spewed its guts into the muffler (clogging it) somewhere around St. Louis, MO. The dealer spent 2 hrs troubleshooting and came up with the catalytic converter problem. The two catalytic converters were $1400, plus several hours labor, all under the 8/80 warranty. I rented a car and drove to Nashville.

I drove back to St. Louis to pick up the car and they hadn't yet realized that the muffler was clogged, so the car was still not up for the 400 mile trip home.

Not only did Honda pay for all of the repairs (over $2k total), they paid for my rental car (4 days, unlimited miles - $215) and a U-Haul (truck and trailer, one way, with U-Haul's optional insurance - $488) so I could tow the Insight from St. Louis to Nashville to avoid another 12 hour round trip. They also coordinated the warranty repair between the two dealers! Overall, Honda paid almost $700 of my travel expenses in addition to all of the repairs on an 8 year-old car I bought used. I'm impressed!

I am now getting 74mpg driving around the Nashville area and I love it! For anyone who has seen South Park's episode about hybrid drivers feeling smug, it hits dead on!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally, that last post above me, makes this thread worthy of a sticky. I mean really, that's the most incredible story of customer service that I've ever heard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts