Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of your guys with a cruse control, especially with a 5-speed car, comment on the MPG hit you experience when it's in use? I would well imagine it would be significant, and that's making me shy away from the thought of adding one on my car.

The Insight is the first car I've owned in years that didn't have a cruse control, and I miss it on long drives, but my primary interest in having the Insight is fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Can't help you with your MT, but our CVT on Rostra-Cruise mode gets ±5mpg less on highway cruise at 65-75mph than when I pulse-and-glide at the same speed... on loooong trips, well worth the slight hit on mileage for the convenience, IMHO. YMMV, but I wouldn't sweat it if I were you... ;)

Full disclosure:
LMPG: 55.9
43,000+ miles
A/C on Econ/72° and has NEVER been turned off
50# air in all 4 tires

·
Registered
344 Posts
This summer I tried using cruise on the Prius on a trip running 65. With cruise, upper 30's to low 40's. Without cruise, low to mid 50's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
65 is nice and rolling the whole way up and down... I drove down from Ohio when I bought the car, then down and up to Destin a month later. Cruise control wouldn't have even worked, the car can't maintain speed up those hills w/o a downshift - not without a ton of assist at least. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I may be able to help you out. I just installed the Rostra kit on my '01 a couple of months ago. I drive from Roanoke, VA to Richmond and back at least once a week. The drive is all interstate and can be very hilly. I set the cruise on about 70-72mph. On the Roanoke-Richmond leg I get close to 60 mpg, a little better in hot weather, a little worse in cold weather. Windy days will also help, harm mpg depending on what direction it's blowing. On the trip back from Richmond I ALWAYS get worse mpg. Usually 48-53 mpg. The key is to keep the IMA battery topped off. Afton Mountain exhausts my IMA battery going up the mountain, and mpg suffers. I'm sure that if you drive on a more level road without a lot of hills then you should see 70 mpg++. I have gotten 74mpg on my way to DC once I had cleared the mountains. One reason Honda didn't install cruise is because the car will NOT pull a steeper hill without downshifting. There are 3 hills I have to remember to turn off the cruise or it will click off automatically when you lose 5 mph.

All this being said, however, I am glad I have the cruise and am willing to accept the reduced mileage to save my tingling foot! You will lose a little mpg, but to some of us it's worth it.

Hope this helps!

jfire

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you stop and think about it cruise control system's are stupid....that is they are not intelligent and able to distinguish road conditions beyond heavy throttle up and no throttle down hills which doe's not favor economy.
A good driver seeking economy will attack the hill with reasonable inertia that will allow him to progressivly back off on the throttle while still climbing even though some speed may be lost.
Over the apex he will build up speed on the down side using gravity and a light increasing application of throttle ready for the next hill if there is one.
There is no substitute for a good driver where economy is the concern unless boredom sets in on the flat (Desert) where cruise may be justified.

DGate

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dgate said:
If you stop and think about it cruise control system's are stupid....that is they are not intelligent and able to distinguish road conditions beyond heavy throttle up and no throttle down hills which doe's not favor economy.
A good driver seeking economy will attack the hill with reasonable inertia that will allow him to progressivly back off on the throttle while still climbing even though some speed may be lost.
Over the apex he will build up speed on the down side using gravity and a light increasing application of throttle ready for the next hill if there is one.
There is no substitute for a good driver where economy is the concern unless boredom sets in on the flat (Desert) where cruise may be justified.
Exactly! Hence my query. I get 66-70mpg on a typical road trip, and I'm thinking about mileage most of the time. With a MT car and the cruse control just blindly trying to maintain a constant speed, I would guess the mpg hit would be quite noticeable. It's interesting that some of the comments here would suggest otherwise.

My daily commute is pretty short, only 25 miles round trip. But my Insight enables me to do semi-regular longer weekend treks without cringing about the price of gas. It's those trips that's making me consider CC, and the terrain I'd be driving over is not a constant. Last couple trips were from the L.A. area to Las Vegas, and to Phoenix. Certainly long enough to wish for a cruse control.

Guess I'll add CC to the bottom of my wish list and see if it ever rises to the top. I've got a couple other items that need to get done first.

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Cruise control....FIT

I just completed a trip of over 5,000 miles and used a cruise control most of the way in my 07 FIT sport.

When my grandaughter was driviing she used the "D" mode. When I drove I used the "S" mode. (I always drive in the "S" mode ;)

Under similar terrain and speed she would average around 35.4 mpg per tank and I could average 41+ per tank.

It's a difference in driving style, knowledge of how the engine works, and my training as an "INSIGHT" pilot. :lol:

Willie
LOAD and RPM will kill the MPG.
The trick is to find the happy medium.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Willie Williford. So what are you saying.....the cruise control is more economical??...and if so why (It's a difference in driving style, knowledge of how the engine works, and my training as an "INSIGHT" pilot) doe's this have any relevance?
I'm confused. :?

DGate

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
DGate;
I was basically showing that even with cruise control, two drivers using the same vehicle can get different mileage, one in S and one in D. In the "S" mode you can control the rpm of the engine better, and there is no downshifting to a lower gear when there is enough load on the engine to cause a downshift and the cruise control does not shut down because of the load as it does in the "D" mode....Of course this only is in reference to my FIT.
This is my first experience with a cruise control so maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Simply said the S mode is like having a stick shift.

Yes cruise control can be more economical, but not in all circumstances.
And yes it does have a "revelance". The best training to obtain better economy in a conventional vehicle is to drive an Insight. (MY OPINION)

Willie

·
Registered
536 Posts
Willie Wrote:
[I was basically showing that even with cruise control, two drivers using the same vehicle can get different mileage,]

It seems to me this is not a good example since as you say each of you got different results due to opting for different modes ie "S" and "D". in other words apples and oranges!

I fully agree that Insight experience can make one a more efficient driver but do not agree that the current cruise controls can produce more mpg's than a sensitive attentive driver. The only place the system might come close is in flat conditions.
Think about it... your brain if concentrating on the drive is computing all sensory info about whats ahead,sounds,wind conditions,your speed,the instrument readings etc.etc. while adjusting the throttle just the right amount better than any man made system.
The cruise control is like a crude mechanical govenor of steam engine days that is totally blind of any input other than the cars speed and its preset limit chosen by the driver.
No comparison plain and simple...If it's economy your after avoid cruise controls unless you are always on the flat.

Original Post: devin1955....
[but my primary interest in having the Insight is fuel economy.]

DGate

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
At first, I was a bit confused about Willie's posts on this subject but I think I got it now....I don't think Willie is saying that cruise control can get better overall mileage than just using your foot and brain. What I think he is saying is: "If you use cruise control, how you use with the rest of the car can make a difference." Not using the Insight in his example may have made it look like apples and oranges but if perhaps if he said: "When using cruise control in hilly / mountainous regions with a manual transmission Insight, using 4th gear instead of 5th gear will give you better overall mileage"

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this Willie.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Bingo.......Joe.......Glad someone understands the old man...Willie ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Devin,

Go ahead and install it. You control it, it doesn't control you.

I've got 7000 miles on my Rostra system and I love it. I don't use it in hills. The moment I push in the clutch to down shift for hills, it disengages. I don't hit the resume button until I am back on flat ground.

I so like to just be along for the ride on long, flat roads. Operating it this way involves no 'hit' in mileage and definately adds to the pleasure of driving.

Tom
'01 MT Insight ECOBOT

·
Registered
476 Posts
I installed the Rostra about 2002 and love it. True it cannot handle a lot of big hills, but it is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have no little experience with a cruise control on an Insight, except for the time that Rick Reese came up to install MIMA.
Ricks report from the users page: http://www.99mpg.com/mima/people/

"This really has a lot of potential when working with a cruise control. I have a Roseta cuise control and when both it and PIMA are on they complement each other beautifully. For instance when the car slows to the min speed set on the cruise control the cruise control will increase the throttle position causing the vacuum to drop. Normally this would continue until the engine provided enough power to maintain the speed set. However with MIMA the dropping vacuum triggers MIMA which reacts much quicker than the engine and causes the IMA to start providing the additional power needed to maintain speed. As the speed increases the cruise control reduces throttle pressure causing the vacuum to increase thus dropping the need for assist. In other words this is a cruise control that combines both the speed and mpg set points!!!!!! "

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I installed a Rostra CC last summer. I use it on freeway trips quite sparingly (when my foot wants a rest). On flat terrain it does an adaquate job, that is all. Overall, I loose aprox 10 mpg when it's in use. It does not SMOOTHLY accelerate or decelerate, or anticipate upcoming slopes, etc.

What is really needed is a throttle control, not a speed control. A vernier throttle control would do a fantastic job, and I believe Rick Reece had one installed. Carefully twisting the knob, just like in my airplane, gives a great sensitivity and throttle response.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use my cruise a lot and I try ro keep the speed at or withing 2mph of the speed limit. Even with the North Carolina hills I've been getting 59.9

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Billy said:
I installed a Rostra CC last summer. I use it on freeway trips quite sparingly (when my foot wants a rest). On flat terrain it does an adaquate job, that is all. Overall, I loose aprox 10 mpg when it's in use. It does not SMOOTHLY accelerate or decelerate, or anticipate upcoming slopes, etc.
There are dip swicthes inside the main unit that can adjust for how sensitive you want the throttle response. I forget what ones I used but if you use the one that lets the speed vary by a little amount, it seems to be much smoother than the one that will try to keep it right at your MPH setting. When I installed mine a couple of years ago, I drove around with each setting like Goldielocks and the three bears ;)

If you already tried each setting then it could just be the difference in using it in a CVT model vs a five speed.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
I've only had my Insight for 48 hours, but I've gone 250 miles already.
I had the dealer install CC as part of the purchase deal. I paid for the part, $0 for labor.

It is my initial impression that CC does not allow the car to lean-burn very much.

It is a Rostra stick mount type.
Since the dealer did the install, I do not have the directions.
I am curious to know how to adjust the 'sensitivity' to allow some speed drift, if possible.
Thanks,
-John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts