Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... Let me first start off with saying that I am new to the insight Central community and hybrid community in general. However I am mechanically inclined, Just not familiar with the hybrid vehicles.
So......my issue is I have a 2001 five speed manual insight with only 73,000 miles. I was averaging 58 to 63 miles per gallon recently, however the past two tanks I've only gotten 55 then 48 miles per gallon respectively. To give you all the information the 55 miles per gallon tank I still had the original tires on I purchased new tires one size larger which are 175/65/14 and are at 39 psi.
My question is what could have caused that significant drop in mpg? Also to let you know when I am driving the battery gauge does go up and down, and the regen and assist levels also go up and down. However though the assist doesn't feel like it used to as far as power and the regen doesn't feel like it's used to either as far as slowing the vehicle down. What could be the issues I have?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
New tires need to "break in" for better mileage.

If it's getting cold where you live, the car likes warm weather for auto stop.

Are you running the "defroster"? Running the windshield defroster uses the AC compressed. And that will take a toll on MPG.

Hope that helps.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Welcome

always driving:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 'new' gem. With 73k miles it is practically new :)

I moved your thread to this section of the forum, "mpg issues", where it truly belongs. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from the hypermilers and others.

Bazzeta's right on, new tires take some time/miles to break in, and the approaching winter hits the mpg even more. Additionally, your tires are bigger than oem recommended, which will definitely hit your mpg, at least 5 mpg or more. THE tire for the G1 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 P165/65 R14, it is an LRR tire that nets the best mpg for our cars. My cars take about 1k to 1500 miles for a new set to break in.

Whether you can resell your current tires and replace them with RE92's is a budget question for you to sort out.

Many G1 owners "air up" their tires some to gain some mpg. This is quite a topic with many pros and cons. The RE92 max sidewall psi is 44. Some folk run more.

As for your assist and regen symptoms, new oversize tires may be a contributing factor.

Here's a link to an article about hypermiling originally written by Wayne Gerdes over on cleanmpg.com. Using even just one or two of his techniques will improve a drivers' fuel economy. This link has a shorter version of some of Wayne's ideas.

Give yourself some time to 'learn' the car, the G1 is unique and needs a definite touch & method to get the most out of it.

Also, consider updating your profile with your general location, there may be some insighters near you willing to give you a tour of your car.

Good luck and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You have two things going on:

1) Bigger tires will cause your odometer and speedometer to read low. You're driving faster and farther than the FCD shows, which will cause those numbers to be lower.

2) The Insight NEEDS LRR tires. Going with larger, heavier, higher rolling resistance tires will absolutely hurt your MPG. Sometimes the hit can be as much as 10-20mpg with the wrong tires.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The tire size change is a 2.2% measured mpg hit.

Other's recommendations are spot on.

I'm focused on "Also to let you know when I am driving the battery gauge does go up and down" - if these are recalibrations, then your hybrid battery is deteriorating, and you can definitely see a serious hit to mpg.

If at any time you notice the SoC gauge "marching" at a constant rate to near empty or near full at random times, you are experiencing recalibrations that are likely due to IMA battery deterioration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to test the IMA for correct electrical characteristics. I.e. Resistance, inductance, and to see if there is any open windings

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I guess the question is how long have you owned this Insight?

If it is less than a year, then perhaps you don't know that all car's mpg decreases in cold weather. I'm assuming it is colder now than the last few tanks you've gone through.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Winter blend of gas will also lower your MPG.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your tires are probably the biggest hit on your fuel economy. I personally choose to also use 175/65/14 tires as well, although I have mine aired up to 45psi, but I have slightly different aspirations than just MPG. Interestingly enough, I've had some of my best trip mpg since switching, but it would have been much higher with RE92s.

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
What are the advantages of going with 175 tires vs 165 oem?
The tire dealer gets to sell you something he has in stock.

Otherwise, none. The added weight and diameter kill economy and performance. The already struggling engine has to spin a bigger, heavier tire that is not LRR. The change in gear ratio saps power. You won't see lean burn very much. It's just a BAD choice for an Insight.

Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tire dealer gets to sell you something he has in stock.

Otherwise, none. The added weight and diameter kill economy and performance. The already struggling engine has to spin a bigger, heavier tire that is not LRR. The change in gear ratio saps power. You won't see lean burn very much. It's just a BAD choice for an Insight.

Sam
OK, got it. Coming from a 2nd Gen Prius, where 175 is recommended by many over the Toyota stock 165 for US, this is interesting to me. Over there in Japan, Prius comes stock with 175.

I have much to learn from the erstwhile members at IC.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it's not that bad, if you get some decent tires and a tire pressure gauge.

in fact i have a set of non LRR tires on my old car that worked as well as the RE92 165's that everyone sais can't be beat. and they're not even a match set because i had to replace one tire while on a 4000 mile road trip with some cheap hankook because it was all they had.

if you wind up with a set of heavy 175's with an all weather or snow pattern and don't air them up, sure, you will see a difference. most of the LRR benefits go out the window when you run 45psi or slightly more in your tires, as long as they aren't just horribly designed and heavy to begin with. the RE92's do perform better at lower tire pressures, if you are following the door sticker for setting the car up.

it's like the indexed spark plugs, wiper removals, mirror removals and aero mods. each alone you probably can barely discern a difference but all together they will help a small amount. if it's not a hobby to you trying to get the most from the car then it is likely a wasted effort and counterproductive if you don't hypermile or drive a whole lot.

for others it is a placebo, they try harder when they are trying to prove something works, even if it really is exactly the same.

honda actually went over the top with some aspects of the car, it doesn't mean they have to be followed or the earth caves in on itself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
is not LRR.

Sam
I've read this similar comment about LRR many times since I've joined this forum, but have yet to find any evidence that the RE92 is LRR.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re92/p165-65r14

Are you referring to a different make/model tire?
The RE92 comes standard on a wide range of cars and has never been LRR to my knowledge and highly doubt there was a LRR tire available in 2000, but thats just a guess......

·
Registered
261 Posts
So that didnt take long - TireRack says this size RE92 is "Eco Focused"
Which is supposed to mean LRR.
But Bridgestones site has no mention of it.
I have my contacts in though and could of missed something ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts