Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just joined InsightCentral and have been reading through many of the posts about fuel mileage. I, along with everyone else most likely bought the insight for the fuel ecomonmy and the cheaper cost compared to a Prius. I have only fueled up 1 times since buying and the MID showed 48 and when calculated was 44.66. This was mostly city and some urban backroads to get to work to avoid traffic. This backroad seems to keep my MPG up without needed to stop so much and being able to run at 45 mph. I took a trip to Wilmington NC using some highways but kept my speed at 50 instead of 55 and the rest of this tank is the same backroad. I know that the mid reads a little high which is ok with me, but right now its reading 54 even. I ordered a K&N air filter. And I know all the little tricks and have follwed them for a long time in my old truck with accelerating nice and coasting and the tires. But is there any modifications like computer chips or anything that are cost efficent to increase MPG without voiding warrenties. I bought a lifetime, yes lifetime warrenty from the local honda dealer for a good cost and don't want to void it. The warrenty information doesn't provide any clear information and I dont want to hurt it. Any MPG tips would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Any "chips" offered will be for performance. Learn the hypermiler tricks before seeking any mods to improve mpg.
How much did the "Lifetime Warranty" cost. Read the fine print. To my knowledge, Honda doe not offer such a warranty.
Once the G2 gets broken in, around 4-5K miles, your mileage should improve. Welcome to the Forum.
HTH

Willie
Please put your location in the details seciton of your User CP please.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing the hypermileage tricks like keeping the mph screen in the green as much as possible and traveling a slightly longer route to work because it offers better mpg. I bought my insight used with about 37000 miles so it is broken in. I just put in my K&N air filter today. Whether or not it gives me better mpg or not it is a must for all my vehicles. I am just trying to make my car get the best mileage possible. I get the lifetime warranty through the dealer. It is strictly though them, not Honda. It was $2000, but it covers everything but the basics like tires, brake pads, bulbs wipers and filters. Everything else is covered. I hope it works out but only times will tell but like I said it is strictly though the dealer. I'm just trying to make my car get optimum mileage through any means possible without spending to much up front. But this site has been great so far. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw a K&N filter a few years back and noticed it had very little filtration media compared to a Honda. Why would you want to let more dirt go through your engine?.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read the "down side" to K&N filters and in 2 past vehicles I have put brand new air filters in ran them and then replaced the OEM with a K&N. Both running 10,000 miles in the same conditions and the K&N was much dirtier once those 10,000 miles were up. From what I have noticed it not only took out more dirt from the air but with similar driving I did notice a slightly better MPG difference in both vehicles. Not much, and definitely not what they claim. However, with just the K&N air filter driving mostly red lights back and forth to work, 15 miles, and short trips across town with the same stop and go traffic my MID is reading 53.5 right now with 248 miles on this tank. I know the MID reads a little high and mine has been reading about 3 MPG high, but I think for now I'll stick with the K&N and I'm happy with the MPG. The only thing I'm concerned about is Honda telling me there OEM oil filters have a special seal on them and by putting other brands like K&N or Fram oil filters they may not seal causing them to leak or burn more oil. Has anyone tried this and noticed a burning off or leaking of oil? I dont know if I want to chance it but I think also Honda might say it to get people back in the shop. Also how often is everyone changing oil in their Gen II Inights in city driving?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've only done 2 oil changes so far and I go by the trip computer - about 9K miles on Mobil 1 synthetic 0w20 oil. The first time I used a Mobil 1 filter, but I had lots of trouble taking it off, despite not really tightening it on and applying a film of new oil when I put it on. Maybe a one off or what not, but I've never had that problem before on my other cars and I often use Mobil1 filters on them... For the second oil change I bought an OEM Honda filter that comes with a washer in the package. Even from the dealer it was about 1/2 the cost of the Mobil 1 and looked just as hefty and of very similar construction. Will see if that comes off easy enough.

I typically go at least 10K miles each oil change on my other cars and sometimes 15K (if I use Euro-spec oil such as Mobil 0w40, which is supposed to be tougher than the US-spec regular Mobil 1 full sythetic).

Your mileage is decent and on par with what I would expect from your commute with a light foot on the gas and brakes. In my '11 Insight with about 20K miles on it I manage to hit high 50 to low 60 mpg on the display without much issues in smooth moving traffic (some A/C does not seem to affect mileage too much on the highway). As long as my trip is longer than 8 miles or so (warm-up takes a toll). But with lots of stop and go (heavy big city traffic) hitting just above 40 on the MID is all I can hope for. And if it is raining or hot and I need the A/C a lot, then just under 40mpg is the best I get in heavy stop and go.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only thing I'm concerned about is Honda telling me there OEM oil filters have a special seal on them and by putting other brands like K&N or Fram oil filters they may not seal causing them to leak or burn more oil. Has anyone tried this and noticed a burning off or leaking of oil? I dont know if I want to chance it but I think also Honda might say it to get people back in the shop. Also how often is everyone changing oil in their Gen II Inights in city driving?
I think it's more of a scare tactic than anything else. As long as you have them on tight enough and they are the correct diameter threads and gasket; all is good. To date I've used Honda Filters but in a day or two when I change my oil, I'm planning on using an Amsoil EAO 44 Filter. The Amsoil EAO 44 is like twice the size as the Honda but has the same thread pattern and gasket. In Bob the Oil Guys Forum, many folks have used this over sized filter on Civic's Fits and other Honda's. I guess I'll be the first to use it on an Insight.

As far as frequency of oil changes, I would go no less than 7,500 miles; no matter what the oil life monitor says.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Why? Gut feel?
It's a combination of the fact that the 0w20 is synthetic and since the Insight has cylinder deactivation a good portion of the time; the oil stays cleaner, longer.

At any given mileage our oil is cleaner than an non hybrid vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a combination of the fact that the 0w20 is synthetic and since the Insight has cylinder deactivation a good portion of the time; the oil stays cleaner, longer.

At any given mileage our oil is cleaner than an non hybrid vehicle.
But doesn't the monitor take those things into account? Aren't there driving behaviors and ambient conditions monitored by the ECU that could cause the oil to get "dirty" sooner than 7500 mi.? Why shouldn't we trust the oil life monitor? Why did you choose 7500 mi. as the minimum?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
But doesn't the monitor take those things into account? Aren't there driving behaviors and ambient conditions monitored by the ECU that could cause the oil to get "dirty" sooner than 7500 mi.? Why shouldn't we trust the oil life monitor? Why did you choose 7500 mi. as the minimum?
The oil life monitor can be taken into consideration but it's not all knowing. The only way to know the condition of the oil for sure is to have it analyzed. That being said, while the color of an oil shouldn't be the sole indicator of its condition; if the oil isn't that dirty, chances are it's still good.

I'm 2,000 miles over 0% according to the MID. I use Amsoil and the oil sort of looks like it should be changed now; so i'm going to do it. I'm also going to send a sample off to Black Stone Labs to have it analyzed; to satisfy my own curosity. I will post the results.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm 2,000 miles over 0% according to the MID. I use Amsoil and the oil sort of looks like it should be changed now; so i'm going to do it. I'm also going to send a sample off to Black Stone Labs to have it analyzed; to satisfy my own curosity. I will post the results.
I got prompted to do my first service at almost 8000 mi. I've now got ~15500 miles and the oil life is still at 20% - I should be approaching 17000 when it finally signals time for the second service.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I got prompted to do my first service at almost 8000 mi. I've now got ~15500 miles and the oil life is still at 20% - I should be approaching 17000 when it finally signals time for the second service.
That's sounds fine with Honda or Mobil Oil. With Amsoil you can go longer; higher TBN and all that stuff. Check your dipstick. I'm betting the oil looks clean for 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked with the Honda dealership and they said the oil life monitor can be reset to any mileage prefered by the driver. I bought mine used so who's to say he didn't change it? I am guessing he didn't as Honda said that it is originally set at 10,000 miles. Seems like a long time on an oil change to me, but thats what the dealers set them at. I have 2900 on the car since I bought it and the oil life monitor just flipped to 70%. So that makes sense for factory settings. I know I should be happy as far as fuel mileage goes, coming from about 16 mpg in a truck but the MID is now reading 53.8 for this tank with 315 miles. So I'm guessing about 51 but I am looking to boost it for low amounts of money and more hypermiling tricks. I try to keep just the battery use on flat stretches but I do not fully understand how the MID is telling me it is just using battery power but my Tach is still reading 1200 rpms or so depending on speed. Either way I am looking into the Enginer PHEV kit and some other slight mods to boost it. I am aiming to hit 60 with little tricks versus or some computer overriding to use more battery before moving to a PHEV kit. Any help would be great! thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the oil life monitors on the US models can be reset by the dealers as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine was set from the factory (or dealer?) at 9K miles. That's reasonable enough for me with good oil and filter so I've been following that. My feel is that as long as there is enough oil in there in good enough shape if I do 7K vs 10K intervals it does not really matter much.

From reading Prius forums it seems that oil samples with over 7K miles still have some protection left, so 7K miles appears to be the minimum for these folks who did their oil analysis. I don't anticipate the Insight to be much different, so 7-10K miles seems reasonable enough with good oil.

Amsoil does last longer but one or more filter changes are recommended every 6 months or whatever the interval maybe. I do not see the point in that - for me the main hassle is getting under the car to take the filer off and clean-up the mess. I might as well change the oil at this point if I've taken on the trouble to change the filter..:confused:. So, for me it is a very scientific process: once a year or 7-10K AND whenever I feel I am in the mood for it AND have the time AND the weather is warm enough to not freeze my bottom while doing it ;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Amsoil does last longer but one or more filter changes are recommended every 6 months or whatever the interval maybe. I do not see the point in that - for me the main hassle is getting under the car to take the filer off and clean-up the mess.
With the Insight, even with the Honda Filter, the most you'll have to change it is once a year. Remember according to Honda, you only need to change the filter every other oil change. The oil in our Insights doesn't get that dirty. Besides, Amsoil is about the same cost as other quality 0w20 oils. My cost shipped to my door is around $8.25-$8.50 per quart.

In Bob the Oil Guy Forums, using Amsoil, people are going 13-15K with the Prius. There is a guy that went like 12k miles(using Amsoil) with his HCH; with the same 1.3L engine as in our Insights. He had the oil analyzed and it was in good shape. If I can find the thread, I'll post a link.

·
Registered
790 Posts
firsthonda, I bet that any oil in the I2 at 7500 looks dirty.

When I change mine at 9k/10k miles with Mobil 1 it looks black as black can be.

Which is a good thing, the oil is supposed to suspend contaminants. But still, in no way is that oil going to look anything like it was when it was poured in. ;)

I always change the oil filter when doing the fluid.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
firsthonda, I bet that any oil in the I2 at 7500 looks dirty.

When I change mine at 9k/10k miles with Mobil 1 it looks black as black can be.

Which is a good thing, the oil is supposed to suspend contaminants. But still, in no way is that oil going to look anything like it was when it was poured in. ;)

I always change the oil filter when doing the fluid.

The Amsoil in my Insight has 10k miles on it and looks dirty but not as black as coal. At 7,500 miles, it looked some what dirty but nothing like a regular vehicle. You have to look at it on the dipstick, not in the oil pan. If it's black as coal on the dipstick, like motor oil gets in a diesel, then it's time to change it.

BTW,very small micron particles(too small to do any real damage) and even sub micron particles are enough to turn an oil dark. This was told to me by a chemical engineer.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
10 Participants
jtshuey
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing