Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some recearch at different car dealers from the brands:VW,AUDI and toyota and found some interesting things: at first, VW claims they had the best MPG in the world for the LUPO 3L, AUDI claims the same with the A2 1.2 tdi 3L, and Toyota says also the same :? .For the Insight we already know what it can do.
So where stands that record of the Honda Insight that was done in the UK ?
Now I have a burning question: Who is the current highest bidder for MPG leadership? :roll: Is it: VW LUPO 3L
Audi A2 3L,Toyota Yaris diesel or.........Honda Insight ?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I'd guess for now it's the Lupo. It takes 2.99l/100km (or 80 mpg). The Insight gets "only" 70 mpg. I think the Audi A2 (it's a Polo) really uses a little more than the 3 liters.

The Prius is certainly fourth or worse (don't know anything about the diesel version of Yaris / Echo).

But then, it's difficult to compare: The Insight's 70mpg comes from a US test, the Lupo is tested under European standards. And I don't even want to start the diesel v gasoline debate...

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Audi A2 has NOTHING to do with the VW Polo, they're completely different cars.
And it's NOT about which car is best, cleaner, more efficient...it's about:

KEEP ON BUILDING THEM !!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would have never purchased a Honda over VW/Audi lupo or polo and I would trade my Insight in as soon as the US dealers started to sell them.

I wouldn't be saving money to replace my Insight batteries!!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
No. 166 said:
The Audi A2 has NOTHING to do with the VW Polo, they're completely different cars.
Sorry, my bad, I was picturing the A3 in my mind. And yes, Audi claims 3.0 l/100km for the A2. So I guess it ties with the Lupo for first.

Add the Smart Tdi to the list: 3.4 l/100km or 70 mpg ties with the Insight.

So, I guess we have

80mpg VW Lupo 3L
80mpg Audi A2 1.2 Tdi
70mpg Honda Insight
70mpg Smart Tdi
60mpg Smart 37kW (gasoline)

but at this level I loose track, there are just too many contenders already. Basically all the European and Japanese compacts fall into the 50-60 mpg class.

·
Registered
348 Posts
cakley said:
I would have never purchased a Honda over VW/Audi lupo or polo and I would trade my Insight in as soon as the US dealers started to sell them.
Sorry me asking, BUT WHY ? :?
I think ALL German car producers are rip-offs, bad workmanship, sickening company politics....
You must see:
-In America you've got a FULL (5 Year??) Warranty. Here in Germany it's **** all ....
-BIG probs with cam-belts on VW diesel engines ....
-the Japanese are MILES ahead with hybrid-, fuel-cell- and EV-technology. The German companys on the other hand were much too busy buying up OTHER companies (Rover, Bently, Rolls-Royce, Chrysler....) than doing anything sensible, technology-wise :evil:

BTW. The Audi A2 and the Lupo 3L share the same engine. I guess those vehicles will be cancelled come 2005/6

·
Registered
453 Posts

Audi/VW dealerships and mechanics are worthless. Numerous complaints about them!!! They we'll bold face lie to you.. I've owned a Audi TT and now a Jetta TDI

The timing belt issue was resolved with the 2003+ engines. Prior years required a new belt about 60k miles.

My only problem with the Insight is its not really cost effective in MPG terms.. I have to use the more expensive gas and we'll need to replace the battery at a cost of 1500-2000 at 80k miles. We as the VW can use cheaper fuel, not require 2 grand every 80k miles, and carry 4 people.

But I do enjoy the little Insight :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___In the Chicago land area, Diesel and Regular unleaded bounce back and forth as to which is higher. As of this writing, Diesel is $0.04 cheaper but prices are up $0.20 in the last week or two …

___Just 80,000 miles is probably a very unrealistic number for a pack replacement in your locale? Isn’t Atlanta relatively flat as well as temperatures being moderate in all but July and August? Why would you assume you would need a $2,000 - $4,000 battery replacement in that short amount of time?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2poiz8e8][email protected][/email:2poiz8e8]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, Stevo12886.

Where can I find info about the 130km/ltr ?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Stevo12886:

___I think you may have received some bad information at some point? The Toyota site in the UK gave the following information on the Yaris Diesel:
  • Yaris 3 & 5DR 1.4 D-4D 5-speed Man:
    53.3 in the Urban cycle, 74.3 in the Extra Urban cycle, and 64.2 mpg overall.
    [/*:m:1h5j2xo1]
  • Yaris Verso 1.4 D-4D 5-speed Man.:
    47.1 in the Urban cycle, 64.2 in the Extra Urban cycle, and 56.5 mpg overall.[/*:m:1h5j2xo1]
___Windmill, you can see the tabulated economy results of the Toyota lineup including the Yaris and Yaris Verso Diesel here as well as the descriptions of the Yaris and Yaris Verso on Toyota’s UK website. Those mileage figures are based off the Euro spec cycles and are maybe 10% higher then what these cars would receive under an EPA cycle with US gallons …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1h5j2xo1][email protected][/email:1h5j2xo1]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for info 8)
But was there not a guy who has made a new record in the yaris ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts