Honda Insight Forum banner

MPG Mods?

12K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  zoomy942 
#1 ·
Im sure there are pieces in various posts, but was surprised to not find one comprised of any relatively easy DIY mods to boost MPG. If there is one somewhere and im missing it please feel free to post up a link.

If not, what do you Insight MPG vets suggest for relatively easy DIY mods?

#2 ·
Honda already did the easy mods.

#4 · (Edited)
This is certainly true, but if you want to be radical and get some of the road worthiness compromises circumvented:
1. Tire pressures as high as you are willing. New tires work fine at high psi, with some loss of cornering traction, so use care.
2. Remove right side mirror if legal in your state. Use a convex mirror inside to restore visibility.
3. Block 90% of the front grill openings, assuming you can live w/o A/C. Monitor coolant temp with a good after market gauge. Thermostat is progressive and not fully open until 214F. Anything higher, you gotta remove some grill block.
4. Use a warm air pick-up fall, winter and spring - depending on location.
5. Install a full under belly.
6. Install a FAS switch. Know your terrain so you know where to FAS.
7. Tune the car perfectly.
8. Learn to recognize LB, how to get into it, and how to maintain it. LB is your friend!
9. Only drive in warm weather, or when the car is already warm;)

As someone else said, most of it is in technique, but mods do help some.

Just returned from a round trip to daughter's house. Some expressway(I'm slow), some gentle hills, some city streets with lights and stop signs. 106.4 MPG for 24 miles RT.

#6 ·
Assuming you have a G2, Not many mods there yet.

Willie

#7 ·
Whoops, didn't notice that:(

Can't fas a Gen2 - far as I know.

The FAS, or fuel cutoff relay has been discussed many times. Search on those terms and it will certainly show up.

#12 ·
Should have. Gotta be more careful:(

Several of the other suggestions work, but you will have to wait for Cobb to tell you the driving tips. They are radically different cars.

I haven't seen it done yet but I think the Gen 2 would benefit from some custom made rear wheel spats:)

#9 ·
The mobile feed doesn't give any indication what forum you're in.

#10 ·
Quick question..

Driving home i tried the "turn the car off" on down hills. I turn it back 1 click to Accessory. One click forward and the car is running again. Almost like from and Auto stop.

Is this a bad practice in Gen2 cars? If it is ok, am i doing it correctly?

#14 · (Edited)
I've tried, but am not confident this is the way to go. It seems a bit rough/unwitted when regaining power. Not to mention the danger of ever making a fatal mistake, locking the steering or losing PS or brake assist just when you needed it most.
And you cannot really say that it is a fuel waster when its running at light or no throttle...
So I stopped keying off and rather give it light throttle to coast in EV mode, that allows you to adjust the glide with mild recharging or propulsion.
Overall, I'm happy for any chance of recharging while decelerating, as it reduces the chance of recharging while maintaining speed later on.

BackStreet hit it spot on. Air it up, loose the hurry, plan your trips wisely.
Lowering the car will help but I live in speed bump central and have scraped the bottom more than once on OEM settings :eek: so that's not for me.
Today the fuel gauge needle passed the halfway bar at about 535 km in the tank, showing 3.6 l/100 km for the tank on the MID. Theoretically I can achieve 666 miles on this tank. How very tempting ;)

#11 ·
I'm not sure what use a fuel cutoff switch would be in a modern car. All modern cars cut the fuel completely when you remove your foot from the gas. Because of modern emissions systems there is plenty of captured and stored fumes to keep an engine running. It would be most helpful in the Insight to lightly apply the brake going downhill to get as much recharge as possible. Manually turning off the engine is crazy dangerous in my opinion. One's life, and that of others around you are not worth tiny fuel savings.

I agree that, besides the obvious things like increased tire pressures, the most one can do is to change driving habits. I get better mileage in my other cars just from applying behaviour changes the Insight has taught me. For instance, it is amazing how many people rush up to stoplights.

#13 ·
I'm not sure what use a fuel cutoff switch would be in a modern car. All modern cars cut the fuel completely when you remove your foot from the gas.
I should resist, but I just can't help myself. Though what you say is true, even of the Gen 1 Insight, it still helps on that car to shut off the engine at soeed. Here's why, when the Gen 1 MT goes into deceleration fuel cut-off, one still has the engine drag hampering coasting distances. FASing is a well proven mileage enhancement on the Gen 1 MT. Nothing makes the MPG sail like a good FAS. The autostop doesn't work above 17 MPH approx.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the gen 2 so I can't disagree on that car. Since it is a CVT, I'm sure the best practices differ-as you say. I've been trying to get my wife interested in a Gen 2 but so far no luck.

#15 ·
- Diet (not for everyone)
- Rear Wiper delete
- Passanger wiper delete (you do your own risk assessment, but some do it and do well with Rain-X alone.)
- Lighter wheels
- Full underbelly shielding/smoothing

#16 ·
Haven't seen a gen 2 boat tail yet :).

#17 ·
Did some quick math last night as I have owned the car a year now and just hit 34k miles. I know I avg over 400 miles per tank. If my estimates are correct im getting about 48.5mpg.

I know this is greatly in part of my driving habits. I started out eyeing that little MPG bar like a pretty girl on the beach. I stopped watching it over time and my MPG has suffered.

As a test I tried my best to keep an eye on it to work, then home, and back to work again. Im at 60.7mpg on the dash for about 150 miles. I know the dash isn't accurate so im going to assume its really about 58mpg. A good 10 more than my yearly avg, by just simply changing my habits (which weren't bad to begin with).

Ill try to do a better job with this as time goes on. And check my tire pressure weekly (currently at 44psi per tires max).

Does anyone know of a way to get the avg mpg for your total mileage on the dash? I dont seem to have a setting for it.

#18 ·
Does anyone know of a way to get the avg mpg for your total mileage on the dash? I dont seem to have a setting for it.
You reset the lifetime MPG when you buy the car. I always do this. Why would I be interested in retaining the "other guys" fuel economy numbers?

#23 ·
He has a gen 2 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.