Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 1900mi trip from El Paso to Estes Park (NW) and Mt. Evans (Central) Colorado. Trip included approx. 1200 miles of flat to slight climbing, and the rest was aggressive climbs rangning from 9-12,000 Ft. elevations on paved and unpaved back roads (Old Falls River Road), from Estes to Winter Park, Mt. Evans, Idaho Falls, CO Springs, back to ABQ, NM and home to ELP.
The 2010 averaged 48 mpg for the entire trip, but hit 60 mpg often, and went way off the chart on the downhill legs. Best estimates over 75 mpg. With twq adults, two teens, a dog and approx 180 lbs of gear, the EX handled well, and better than expect up the steep inclines. Sure, we didn't push 60mpg uphill, but rather focused on keeping the RPM between 3-4,000 on the sustained pushes. The EX hit 4,500 once when I had left if on cruise control, set for 55 mph. I think that was a mistake, because most other vehicles slowed as well, and there was no need to haul butt up the hill.....
One safety tip though; try not to get caught in front of an 18 wheeler as it is: (i) building speed down a hill or (ii) trying to sustain power up a hill. The EX is after all, only a 98 hp vehicle and while it performed better than expected, it cannot do miracles.
Finally, I suspect could not verify that the EX performance seemed to improve at the higher elevations. Would be curious to hear from others on this. FYI, we experimented with/without the ECON and stability modes. It handled very well, and even the rear set passenger (plus 40 lb pooch) survived.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good results!

I've driven to some local mountains here and the Insight did very well.

It is much safer though to use your paddle shifter on really steep roads.

I had to do it when there is a sharp dropoff with no guardrail!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mountain driving

Agreed. Neglected to mention it in my original post. But the paddles did come in handy on several occasions going up AND down steep grades. But even the paddles cannot help when an 18 wheeler comes barreling down on you. I have driven since 1969 and have a solid, safe record. But I must mention the Insight has already made me a better driver. I am more aware of driving environment and plan my moves, lane changes, speedup/slowdowns with greater purpose. Not afraid to hit the gas, though, as if often needed on the freeways of El Paso. We have a lot of 18 wheelers here; domestic and foreign (hundreds daily to and from Mexican factories). And an astronaut I worked with here, cited a greater fear of our freeways than a shuttle launch. Enough said.
Insight perfectly suited for high volume local travel, and even a full load on a mountain vacation. Hope I remain as happy as I am now.....

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thanks. When I drive through WVA I set the cruse on 70-75 and my past cars run 3-4 thousand rpms, even my supercharged tacoma. Granted I pass everything but the gas stations. Granted I too could of slowed down, but it makes you feel like you are going super fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts