Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice one-owner 2005 Insight in California with 147K miles. I've fancied this car ever since I saw the first one. I have only had mine a couple of weeks and I'm having a lot of fun with it. The MPG readout in the odometer area doesn't appear at all, no matter what I do, it is just a blank area. I got in touch with the original owner. He told me, "Oh ya...that stopped working a while ago. I told them about it at the dealer. They told me they would have to take the whole dash apart to diagnose it, and I just decided to leave it alone." Does anybody have a clue what might be wrong...and how it might be restored? I realize it isn't essential, but I just think it would be cool to look down and see 60 MPG. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
There is a chance the buttons have been pushed and the display is in the wrong function. If you are near the Covina area I would be happy to look at it for you.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
Please complete your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done, especially the Location.
Welcome to the ELITE family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a chance the buttons have been pushed and the display is in the wrong function. If you are near the Covina area I would be happy to look at it for you.

Scott
Hi Scott!

I'm out of town until August 5, but I would welcome your help when I return. I'm in Glendale...but I could probably visit you for a gallon or less! :LOL: I'm new here...but if there is a way we can connect outside the forum, I'll phone you when I return, otherwise, I'll write you here. Thank you!! Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please complete your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done, especially the Location.
Welcome to the ELITE family.
Hi Willie!

I've tried to update my profile...tonight in fact...I was able to add my photo...but I can't figure out how to add any other data. A click on My Profile take me to a fairly blank page...can you show me the way? Thanks! Scott

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey, I just got this problem too! As of tonight, my live MPG "bar" at the bottom doesn't work, except in FCD mode. I know it's not the display itself, as it works fine in FCD. Tried restarting the car and cycling through the trip meters. Trip 1 and Trip 2 don't show any mpg.

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
Welcome. You must have found he edit functions since your location now shows :)

If you are going to let the car sit for 6 months, I'd get a grid charger, install it and saturation charge after return and before using the IMA battery. There are a couple of models of grid chargers available on eBay. The really Cadillac is from HybridAutomotive in San Jose.

If the car sits for 6 months, the battery will likely become badly unbalanced due to the slightly different self discharge rates of the 120 cells in the pack. Honda doesn't recommend letting it sit for that long.

klr3cyl(Scot) is the best Insight mechanic in the country, widely recognized. Sometimes I wish I were a "gallon" away.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
As of tonight, my live MPG "bar" at the bottom doesn't work, except in FCD mode. I know it's not the display itself, as it works fine in FCD. Tried restarting the car and cycling through the trip meters. Trip 1 and Trip 2 don't show any mpg.
Sounds like you've accidentally toggled the bars off. I think this can only happen when you first turn the key to the number 2 position and mess with the FCD button. And I think that's when you need to fix it, too.

-Turn key to number 2 position.
-Press the FCD button to toggle out of Segment mode if that's what you're in.
-Use Trip button to page to the Trip screen - Trip A, Trip B, or Lifetime - to which you want to add the instantaneous MPG bars/readout.
-Press and hold the FCD button to add the instantaneous bars (or remove them, if that's what one wants to do).

I think that's the way it works. There may be two options, like you can remove the bars with one press, and then remove the value? with another. Can't remember exactly. But in general, the idea is that you can remove the instantaneous 'stuff' from the Trip screens by pressing and holding the FCD button when you're in one of those screens, or perhaps only when you first turn key ON (if you're in Segment mode, though, you'll reset the counter to zero).

Hope that helps...

edit: OK, I had to go out to the garage and check (I know I've done this at least once before). From one of the Trip screens (not Segment mode), you can press and hold FCD once to remove the instantaneous bars, and then press and hold again to remove the average MPG value. Total miles remains. Press and hold FCD again and everything comes back. Press and hold again and you lose the instantaneous bars... Etc etc...

If you do this in Trip A, you can then toggle to Trip B and repeat the process; after that you can toggle to Lifetime and repeat the process. So for each of the Trip screens (not Segment mode) you can have a readout that has bars, avg, and total; avg and total; or just total.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
^ I think most people around here know that exists, I'm sure all the regulars do...

But it's funny: when I was trying to explain how that's set, it struck me that it's pretty obscure and rather complicated, and I don't think it's even in the owner's manual. I was thinking that the quirky nature of it, the multiple steps/button presses, etc. seemed very 'year-2000' to me, doesn't seem like that could happen these days. Even the fact that it all pertains to changing sub-elements (instantaneous bars, avg mpg value) on a sub-element (a Trip screen), where there's 3 optional trip screens -- just quintessential Insight...

Some Japanese dude back in the late 90s probably spent a lot of time just trying to figure out how to make it all work... Now, contrast that with all the half-baked engineering things you find scattered about the Insight (wobbly-*** suspension, random aluminum sheet metal and braces around the IPU, etc. etc): = "Insight." I think I like it, gives the car real character, shows you the human beings behind the scenes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
EQ1, you nailed it! Not sure how I disabled that, but alas, that is what was wrong. I got the MPG functionality to return, using your instructions. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Sounds like you've accidentally toggled the bars off. I think this can only happen when you first turn the key to the number 2 position and mess with the FCD button.
I tried to remove the bars, etc. during my drive today but couldn't do it; pressing and holding FCD while in anything other than Segment mode, during a drive, doesn't appear to do anything. I searched for that original thread from way back when, when I first posted that info, and Mario mentions that you have to be stopped and in neutral or park to do it. So, it looks like you don't have to do it at first key-ON, but you do have to be stopped and in neutral:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts