Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For owners who prefer a challenge & are skilled problem solvers my 02 Insight CVT/AC w/112,000 miles just started losing power at 45 mph yesterday. Noticing the power loss I glanced at the dash, but no red lights of any kind...not even IMA. The only change was the MPG bars increasing from ~60 MPGs to nearly 70 MPGs. Never experiencing this before, I pulled my Insight over & shut off the engine to prevent any damage. After a quick engine inspection & a walk around the car I noticed nothing suspicious. Not knowing what else to do, I disconnected the 12 volt negative battery terminal & waited ten seconds.Thank goodness I was only a few miles from home & after connecting the 12 volt battery was able to drive home with MPG display a steady ~64 MPGs. The IMA battery was replaced in 2017, so it should be good for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
Don't mess with it. The weather and your driving was just right for those MPG's. Now you will see a difference because you reset the computer and it has to run through the re-learn cycles. Use the FCD as an estimator in MPG only not in power, in reality it will be different.
Welcome to the ELITE FAMILY. You have a lot of reading to do to learn the quirks of the INSIGHT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I took your advice & didn't mess w/it. I drove for the first time since the incident above. About 3 miles into drive MPG again rose sharply with loss of engine power again while no warning lights flashed.
Anyone hear of this or have any ideas as to the cause??

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
Are you the original owner? I agree, sounds like you are going into LB.
What is your RPM doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you the original owner? I agree, sounds like you are going into LB.
What is your RPM doing?
Yes, purchased brand new in 2002. Didn't notice a change in RPM. If it's CVT, doesn't that rule out LB and why would it reset when 12 volt is disconnected?
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts