Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reason to believe that there is something wrong with my stock 2000 5-spd. No warning lights, but the true MPG is two less than the FCD (not lifetime MPG) and I heard that the FCD is acurate to +/- 0.1 MPG. However, this is not about troubleshooting my car.

I have a simple survey to collect MPG info from Insight owners.
Please state the following:

1. Lifetime MPG.

2. Mileage.

3. Current Average MPG.

4. Does everything work as well as it should (ie. few recalls, runs smoothly, etc.) if not please explain.

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained (ie. the tires always have lots of air, the oil is properly maintained, you use good gas, etc.).

6. Stock or Not; if not what Modifications.

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10; 0-You might as well be driving a Hummer; 10-You can double EPA MPG estimates in your sleep).

Thank You; these results will definately help me alot, and they will probably help others too.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ah, the fuel display is quite accurate but things like the diameter of your tires and road surface can make a big difference. The only way to really know is to use a GPS. If you are within 3% that sounds reasonable.

Greenhybrid has an extensive mileage data base for Insights as well as other hybrids.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
1. Lifetime MPG. 70.2

2. Mileage. 82000

3. Current Average MPG. 79 ish

4. Does everything work as well as it should (ie. few recalls, runs smoothly, etc.) if not please explain. Car is working perfectly.

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained (ie. the tires always have lots of air, the oil is properly maintained, you use good gas, etc.). Check tires and oil once a week. Car serviced at Honda dealer every 9k miles. Esso/Shell or BP gas used

6. Stock or Not; if not what Modifications. Stock

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10; 0-You might as well be driving a Hummer; 10-You can double EPA MPG estimates in your sleep). 7

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
InsightfulBob said:
... and I heard that the FCD is accurate to +/- 0.1 MPG.
The Insight's MPG gauge has been reliably reported to "only" be accurate over the long term within 1-2%. A factor of 10x-20x lower than your expectations.

1. LMPG 71.4

2. Mileage just shy of 70,000

3. Current segment average 72.8. Low because of another cold snap and spring isn't fully in bloom here yet. Typical summer tank averages are in the upper mid 70 MPG's. See my web page for more details.

4. More frequent forced charging than "perfect". I see slight but progressive IMA battery deterioration. See:

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

5. BP Supreme 99% of the time. Mobile1 0w-20 synthetic. OEM tires maintained @ 50 psi and checked every 2-3 months. That's enough time for some normal 2-5 psi losses. Rarely exceed 60 MPH even on downhills (I need the regen for the IMA pack ;) ).

6. Modified. Hot air intake and cardboard radiator block. See:

1-6x17" cardboard piece & +10 MPG! Yup no lie
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1970
& web pages (in sig)

7. The rolling hills of east TN and traffic make style 10 a difficult and rarely allowed occurence. (you've got to let speed "roller coaster" too much) . I'd call myself an 8. From the several other Insights I am familiar with in this area 58-64 MPG is their LMPG.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Limetime MPG: 78.2 (and rising)

Mileage: 6800

Current Tank: 84.5mpg @ ~650 miles (little under 1/2 full indicated)

Never had a recal, or any other foolishness, however, my SoC never gets down below 3/4, and usually is only 1 maybe 2 bars off full.

Maintainance: Do/Plan change oil every 3500 miles with 0W20, tires now kept to 58#.

Mods: Tires @ 58#, EPS Delete, otherwise stock

Driver Efficiency: I'd say a solid 9. I can maintain > 80mpg effortlessly with good days being in the mid 90s

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Miles = 9100

LMPG = 87.6

Current tank = 90.2

No problems, car is working perfectly
Chevron Regular (87 octane)
Mods include no outside mirrors, tinted windows
no front license plate
Drivers rating: I am a 9; Excel & Rick Reese are a 10

This is my 3rd Insight I have purchased new.

First Insight = 54,500 miles = 83 LMPG

Second Insight = 31,000 miles = 84 LMPG

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 2005 CVT. Here are my answers...

1. Lifetime MPG: 54

2. Mileage: 8000

3. Current Average MPG: 54

4. Does everything work as well as it should? YES

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained? Well maintained. I keep the tires between 40 and 45.

6. Stock or Not? I have the following mods:

Kenwood KDC-X789 stereo headunit
Infinity Reference 6012si speakers
ShoeBox subwoofer
Sirius satellite radio
iPod attached to dash using ProClip mount
Garmin GPS 2720 attached to dash using ProClip mount

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10): 7

·
Registered
338 Posts
here

Keep in mind my tire size, no skirts, and "very spirited" driving style....

1. Lifetime MPG. 50.4 (hey! it was like 43 when I bought it!)

2. Mileage. 75K

3. Current Average MPG. 52.4

4. Does everything work as well as it should (ie. few recalls, runs smoothly, etc.) if not please explain.

Did have sone issues with cats but all covered....plus don't dare wreck it! Mine was in the shop for 4 months.....after a wreck with no broken glass!

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained (ie. the tires always have lots of air, the oil is properly maintained, you use good gas, etc.).

Max on brand new tires.....92 octane gas....Mobil 1 0w-20 full syn.

I dunno what the guy that had it before me did to it....but it seems to really move....I have driven another like mine and mine seems much faster off the line.....

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10; 0-You might as well be driving a Hummer; 10-You can double EPA MPG estimates in your sleep).

oh....prolly a 3......i mean if someone wants to block i'll follow!

:twisted:

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Lifetime MPG - 76.3

2. Mileage - 65,000

3. Current Average MPG - 73.0 on the last tankful

4. Does everything work as well as it should (ie. few recalls, runs smoothly, etc.) if not please explain - Yes

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained (ie. the tires always have lots of air, the oil is properly maintained, you use good gas, etc.) - Tire pressure usually ~40 PSI, but not religious about it, oil ~every 5K miles (synthetic), gas - nothing special, 89 octane from where ever I happen to be when I need it.

6. Stock or Not; if not what Modifications - Absolutely stock

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10; 0-You might as well be driving a Hummer; 10-You can double EPA MPG estimates in your sleep) - Considering I live in a cold climate in the northeast in a hilly area and still have LMPG of 76.3, I'll give myself about a 9.

Chris, in Washington, NH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your responses. This helps. I suppose that I should answer this too.

1. Lifetime MPG. 51.9 (The same as when I bought it 7,000 miles ago in August)

2. Mileage. 101,000 +/- 100

3. Current Average MPG. 53-55

4. Does everything work as well as it should (ie. few recalls, runs smoothly, etc.) if not please explain. Not really, the entire IMA took a poop on the way home from buying it at Mexico Auto Sales. That's fixed now but the engine lags, the clutch squeeks, and the milage is poor.

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained (ie. the tires always have lots of air, the oil is properly maintained, you use good gas, etc.). I Keep the stock tires around 50-55 PSI, use synthetic 5w-20, and always put in Shell or Chevron gas.

6. Stock or Not; if not what Modifications. Stock, but I'm installing a porr man's MIMA soon. :lol:

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10; 0-You might as well be driving a Hummer; 10-You can double EPA MPG estimates in your sleep). I'm probably a 6. I can drive more efficently but I'm usually in a hurry. I usually drive around 70-75 MPH and run the air on econ about half the time. I do know how to drive very efficently but usually don't when it gets me there slower.[/b]

·
Registered
89 Posts
car's been in the shop for a few weeks getting a custom paint job so this is the best i remember

1. Lifetime MPG.
60 + or -1

2. Mileage.

3. Current Average MPG.
about 56 a couple weeks ago when there was still snow. should be about 65mpg with temps over 50 degrees these past 2 weeks...

recall about every 500 miles or so. i think that's fairly normal

on a 1-10 scale i'd give myself a 5

aftermarket audio system & a paint job- nothing that matters

i'd give myself a solid 6.

·
Registered
222 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Ah, the fuel display is quite accurate but things like the diameter of your tires and road surface can make a big difference. The only way to really know is to use a GPS. If you are within 3% that sounds reasonable.
You don't need to go that high-tech. You can drive 60MPH and time yourself between mile markers. It should take about 1 minute to get from one to the next.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. LMPG 60.3

2. 5000

3. Current avg 66

4. No problems

5. Just changed the oil myself for the first time - Mobil 1 0w20, Use regular Flying J gas, front tires at 48psi, rear tires at 44 psi, washed and waxed.

6. Stock

7. Driving style 7 to 8. 95% of driving is on a 56 mile stretch of Interstate 81 in Central PA, rolling hill type of terrain, some drafting occassionally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. LMPG 73.8

2. 10,500 miles

3. Current avg 76ish

4. No problems

5. changed the oil myself - Mobil 1 0w20, Exxon, Shell, Chevron gas, tires at 50psi.

6. Radiator block, warm air intake

7. Driving style 7 to 8. 95% of driving is on rural roads, max speed 55mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2005 CVT

I have a 2005 CVT. Here are my answers.

1. Lifetime MPG: 56.6

2. Mileage: 11,500

3. Current Average MPG: 58 to 59 per tankful.

4. Does everything work as well as it should? YES, I love the car. A couple of rattles.

5. How well is your car's efficency maintained? I have Honda Service every 3500 miles. Tires at 48 PSI.

6. Stock or Not? Stock

7. Rate the efficiency of your average driving style (0-10): 7 for a CVT. I do everything but drafting. Usually cruise freeways below 63 mph. Don't use AC. Drive slow, coast a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts