Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor (but it still charges the 12V battery) and the IMA battery is bad.

I removed the battery for weight savings. It also doesn't have A/C.

I've noticed my MPG is better than ever. Using it only for work, the speed limit is 45 for about 1/2 the ride and 55 for the rest. I drive about 200 miles a week.

With my last tank, I got 81.7mpg. It was never that good with a working IMA.

To mention though, if I use the car for a 70 mph freeway ride, it drops to the low 50's. Not enough oomph to push through any kind of hills without the IMA.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor (but it still charges the 12V battery) and the IMA battery is bad.

I removed the battery for weight savings. It also doesn't have A/C.

I've noticed my MPG is better than ever. Using it only for work, the speed limit is 45 for about 1/2 the ride and 55 for the rest. I drive about 200 miles a week.

With my last tank, I got 81.7mpg. It was never that good with a working IMA.

To mention though, if I use the car for a 70 mph freeway ride, it drops to the low 50's. Not enough oomph to push through any kind of hills without the IMA.
Are you the original owner? If not, how long have you been the owner?

Reason I ask is, when I bought my insight I thought I was doing good at about 62-63mpg with my old worn out battery that I had to charge once a month to keep alive. My first tank after getting my better one(I say better because it's a good used one) I got 70mpg. The car is way more responsive and doesn't background charge nearly as much as it used to with the newer battery.

My new CVT has a bad battery, and I have gotten 53.8mpg since I got it. Kinda lack luster compared to my manual but not too terrible.

·
Administrator
10,603 Posts
My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor
That's unheard of, what's wrong with it? Who investigated the problem? Useful to know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Peter:
From his prior posts,......... I think he meant "IMA battery" instead of "motor"..

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually, with the IMA, it throws a P1565 code and I don't want to bother to fix it. That's the IMA issue. I guess that makes it not really defective. It also had P1447 and P1449 codes with the battery.

I've used it as a backup. Don't have to worry about driving it to charge the IMA battery so it can sit long periods of time.

It gets better MPG below 55mph than any of the 5 I've had.

When I bought it last year, the previous owner was pretty much giving it away as it was running on 2 cylinders and the local Honda dealer told him it needed an engine rebuild. It needed a coil.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
When the IMA battery is marginal, frequent recals adversely impact mileage. This is substantial for HCH2. It can hurt mileage by as much as 20%. I've gone from high 40's to mid to high 30's.

When the IMA battery is bypassed or removed, you are now driving a very efficient 1.0L car. Stop and go mileage will suffer, but sustained cruising mileage should be as good as it would be with a brand new, perfect battery potentially a hair better because there is no background charging of the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
When the IMA battery is marginal, frequent recals adversely impact mileage. This is substantial for HCH2. It can hurt mileage by as much as 20%. I've gone from high 40's to mid to high 30's.

When the IMA battery is bypassed or removed, you are now driving a very efficient 1.0L car. Stop and go mileage will suffer, but sustained cruising mileage should be as good as it would be with a brand new, perfect battery potentially a hair better because there is no background charging of the battery.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, but didn't know how to word it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts

And a hair better because of slightly less weight too.

Jim.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep, at a steady-state where you can control engine loading and speed, pure gasoline will always win out. The problem is that driving requires wasting lots of energy (braking) that could better be used to recover energy to be spent later (a battery). Using an ICE to charge a battery to power an electric motor is actually pretty inefficient but it is the best way to compensate for the needs of variable power output.

This is why we don't have hybrid lawnmowers, generators, ships or trains!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Yep, at a steady-state where you can control engine loading and speed, pure gasoline will always win out. The problem is that driving requires wasting lots of energy (braking) that could better be used to recover energy to be spent later (a battery). Using an ICE to charge a battery to power an electric motor is actually pretty inefficient but it is the best way to compensate for the needs of variable power output.

This is why we don't have hybrid lawnmowers, generators, ships or trains!
Agree with you on every count except trains. I had no idea they existed, but when I read "trains" in your post, it actually occurred to me they are GREAT candidates for an electric hybrid system... apparently, I wasn't the first to think of it...

GE's Hybrid Locomotive Moves A Ton Of Freight 500 Miles On A Gallon Of Fuel - Industry Tap

·
Registered
458 Posts
Agree with you on every count except trains. I had no idea they existed, but when I read "trains" in your post, it actually occurred to me they are GREAT candidates for an electric hybrid system... apparently, I wasn't the first to think of it...

GE's Hybrid Locomotive Moves A Ton Of Freight 500 Miles On A Gallon Of Fuel - Industry Tap
Interesting, thanks! It's true that most freight trains are diesel+electric(for torque) but I figured dynamic braking wasn't used enough to make a H/BEV system feasible. I guess with something the size of a train you can have a whole rail car full of batteries!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Er... Aren't most diesel trains powered by a diesel engine running an electric generator to drive motors turning the wheels? How hybrid is that?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Trains are already really fuel efficient without being hybrid. I know my dad used to work for CSX and they got over 450 MPG.
I believe that's miles per gallon per ton.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The diesel generator to motor system really is the most efficient form of power for large applications like ships and trains, you can't touch it with anything else. But if you think about a train, it is set up for way better mpg than a car ever will be since they have steel wheels on rails, WAY lower rolling resistance than any tire will ever get you no bumps in the road, very little contact and friction with those steel wheels, very little stop and go and ULTRA low wind resistance for the amount cargo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They may not technically be considered hybrids but afaik "diesel" locomotives have always been diesel-electric. The EMD engines were made by Electro Motive Division of General Motors. The EMD engines were also used in large boats and ships. Many of these were diesel-electric with electric motors actually providing the propulsion. As a marine engineer, i have worked on EMD 16 cylinder, two cycle marine engines.
Catterpillar diesel-gens power the main propulsion in RV Atlantis, and others.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Boats or SHips are also:)!

The cruise ship we went on last yr was a hybrid powered boat as well. It used diesel to power gensets and electric "pod" engines to power the boat. Interesting devices, the pods. They swivel around in a complete CIRCLE:)!!
This allows the ships to maneuver into tight "parking spots" at piers (at crowded and SMALL cruise port docks)..they actually go sideways! when we parked and when we left, as a boat parked behind us after we docked.

Probably (or seems to be) the trend, nowdays. As fuel cells are developed, they will be electric engined at least...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
JulianEdgar
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing