Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running without the IMA system for about 5000 miles. All components are still installed (90+ lbs of dead weight) and the BCM in switched off. In the event anyone with a dead IMA battery decides to go this route, consider this.

With IMA
It's a 2002 5 speed, and formerly got upper 60's to low 80's in warm weather and conservative driving conditions (flat, no A/C, hanging out behind larger vehicles on the freeway, etc.) and 55 - 65 mpg driving like a normal car with no consideration for MPG.

The worst ever tank MPG since I owned the car was 48 mpg during a week of -20 degree F weather in Vermont. Best ever tank MPG was 105 mpg on a slow drive between San Diego and Yuma in the spring.

Without IMA
At any rate, current mileage when not driving conservatively is around 47 mpg and best tank without IMA was 57 mpg. Overall, I would say AVERAGE mileage decrease without IMA is about 20-25%. I have not tried hypermiling without the IMA battery. Even without the IMA system you're still getting better mileage than most vehicles on the road, as long as you don't mind going into second or third up the hills. Also, with the DC/DC converter overload set at 4000 RPM, I try not to exceed that mark which is difficult when driving in hilly terrain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember exactly who's plan it was, but I found a photo guide on this site and used it. It was very well done, so many kudos to whoever made that guide!

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Maybe the mpg will get better, now that the wheel is "tight"?
Aren't you a little young for CRS.

Good job.
Willie

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a 2005 with no IMA functioning.
Best 85.4mpg for 215 miles behind semi, 75degrees old tires
Worst 54mpg for 60miles round trip to-from work, -10degrees New tires
(new tires suck MPG)

I took the entire IMA system out 4wks ago but don't see any difference as it was only about 80lbs or so and it is winter here anyway.

Biggest thing that keeps me from putting new IMA in is the cost recovery and all the recal, balancing talk i see on the forum.

My concern of car battery running down is over. It idle with lights on brakes on and fan at full it does drop to 11.4VDC but no issues. I even kill the fuel pump at a long light every morning and see as low as 10.5volts but, starter still will restart the car.
Overall - very happy with no IMA

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
It'd be nice if there were an easy 'drop-in' replacement set of gears for NO IMA Insights. Lower gearing would make it better (maybe just 1st and 2nd, keep 3rd-5th the same)...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The same gearing as the HCH would be awesome. 1st through 4th are all shorter than the Insight, and 2nd is closer to 1st.

I heard the Insight tranny was modified from the civic unit (lightened), I wonder if there's any compatibility there.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I would say AVERAGE mileage decrease without IMA is about 20-25%.
Then you must do a lot of city/suburban driving. Remember, the "A" in IMA just means Assist. At steady highway speeds on flat roads, there should theoretically be NO drop in mileage assuming the disconnection of the IMA doesn't also prevent the engine from lean burning. Probably the lack of Autostop and your city driving technique has more to do with the drop in mpg than anything else.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Have any of you messed with this in a CVT? I'm pretty sure you lose leanburn without IMA, which doesn't matter on most CVT vehicles, but I can confirm that without IMA, on my 2002 CVT, that the car changes the ratios it works in. It never gets into that top gearing, and so hurts MPGs. Probably a way to make sure you can actually accelerate, which is nice ;-) But, I still don't know why it won't let you use top gear.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
CVT feels peppier taking off than the tall first geared 5-speeds. And if you're on cruising a flat road, the CVT will settle in a tall ratio just fine. 2200 rpm at 60.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's actually what I mean, when I have an IMA light on, and it's effectively not functioning, it cruises at a higher RPM than normal. I can't remember what it is exactly, but definitely higher.
Of course, it could be different with different ECM/TCM versions. I've never confirmed it with anyone else...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's actually what I mean, when I have an IMA light on, and it's effectively not functioning, it cruises at a higher RPM than normal. I can't remember what it is exactly, but definitely higher.
Of course, it could be different with different ECM/TCM versions. I've never confirmed it with anyone else...
I lost lean burn in my five speed when switching off the BCM as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was averaging around 50mpg when I bought my Insight, mostly highway (no IMA). In pure city driving, I'm only getting mid 30's right now. It's amazing how slow a 1.0 liter car is, when it can't hit redline, and doesn't have battery assist, or 3rd gear :p

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I know you jest, and that yeah, without 3rd gear and all the rest, the car does feel slow. Yet in general, I kind of see things the opposite - that it's amazing how much power that little 1L engine can put out... With lower 1st and 2nd gears the car would actually manage pretty well in my view... On the flip side, it's equally amazing how much 'oomph' the IMA can add at low RPM and speed...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Then you must do a lot of city/suburban driving. Remember, the "A" in IMA just means Assist. At steady highway speeds on flat roads, there should theoretically be NO drop in mileage assuming the disconnection of the IMA doesn't also prevent the engine from lean burning. Probably the lack of Autostop and your city driving technique has more to do with the drop in mpg than anything else.

It does. No IMA, no lean-burn.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
CVT feels peppier taking off than the tall first geared 5-speeds. And if you're on cruising a flat road, the CVT will settle in a tall ratio just fine. 2200 rpm at 60.
My CVT is at about 2800-3000 rpm at 70mph. Is tha excessive?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts