Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that some Insight owners are getting arount 60 -70 mpg. I've been taking a look @ some of the other posts about MPG. I'v just had a 100k check up and noticed that my mil. decreased by 10-15mpg. I checked with the dealership, they had st'd that they did the right thing, nothing wrong. I had them put the oil and transmission OEM additives added. My front calipers need to be changed I know but I don't think they're draging that much if any.

I'm very good with low resistance driving. I do drive a lot of highway at about 65mph.

Any other options. :?:
Robert

·
Registered
495 Posts

... I do drive a lot of highway at about 65mph.
When and where practical, try slowing down.

Use your Engine RPM guage as opposed to the speedometer and try to run along at about two thousand or a little less than that. At fifty to fifty five you should see a very noticeable increase in MPG with the little car.

Hope this helps

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would first check your tire pressure as the dealer ususally will set your PSI to factory specs. This alone can cut your mileage by 5-10mpg. I usually run 50-55 psi. I've tried 60, 65 & 70 psi but the increase in mpg from 55psi was neglible and the ride was too harsh for me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Agreed on both of the above suggestions. Also, if you live in a northern area the lower temps of winter will drag down your mpg as well.

As for what to expect, depends whether you have CVT or MT Insight. Ballpark for the CVT seems to be around 60-70mpg, though some people do better. MT varies widely but some people see 100mpg in the summer.

As for the benefit of slowing down, I run around 50mph on the highway in my MT and current tank is right at 80mpg, best summer tanks were 96mpg. I have MIMA but use it only to increase regen, rarely for assist or to shut off regen, so this should not affect mpg a whole lot (other than by freeing me to concentrate on driving the thing better rather than worry about the SOC).

I focus mainly on the iMPG display and the speedo (as well as the road of course!).

·
Registered
274 Posts
red1dr said:
Ballpark for the CVT seems to be around 60-70mpg, though some people do better. MT varies widely but some people see 100mpg in the summer.
60-70 mpg is by no means "Ballpark" for a CVT, nor is 100 mpg in a MT.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My sister gets low 60's in her 2005 CVT, and people posting here and on "certain other forums" report numbers in that range.

As for MT's, my post didn't say that 100mpg was "ballpark", just that some people get that. Actually "some people" under "special conditions" have gotten a 165mpg tank and even higher segments in an MT. The range for MT's is probably wider than for CVT's because the MT allows more variation in how the car is driven.

"YMMV" due to where you are driving (terrain, lengths of trips, weather, etc) and how you drive (speed, use of brakes, etc). I was right on 80mpg coming to work this morning and then a traffic jam cost me about 3mpg and left me with 50% SOC. Yesterday without slowups it was a few mpg above 80 when I parked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Make sure the dealer didn't overfill your oil levels. That could possibly hurt mileage.
And we're all taking a hit as the weather gets colder - you sure its not the seasonal decline?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts