Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has about 3000 miles on it now. I've been averaging about 63 - 64 MPGs in normal conditions, which includes passengers, air conditioning etc. Lately, even in the best of conditions I can't seem to average more than 60 or 61. I'm not doing anything differently except NOT running the air conditioning. It seems that my display changes more often than once per minute when in city conditions and that it can drop from 65 to 60 within a mile or so of city driving. What am I doing wrong? This should be increasing rather than decreasing? (even though I know that this is still very good).

·
Registered
495 Posts
... about 3000 miles on it now.
... been averaging about 63 - 64 MPGs in normal conditions, ...
... Lately, even in the best of conditions I can't seem to average more than 60 or 61.
... I'm not doing anything differently
... It seems that my display changes more often than once per minute
... can drop from 65 to 60 within a mile or so of city driving.
What are you doing wrong? Nothing that I can understand from what you've said here. My "Silver Bullet" has a bit over 3,000 miles on it to and I'm seeing about the same data/stats you've mentioned.

That you're MPG drops as much as 5 MPG is a mile or so with "stop and go" traffic, I've experienced that to. As far as I know that to is "normal".

That your display changes more than once a minute, that doesn't sound right. Are you sure about that one?

You might note, if you haven't already, the reaction of the gas pedal to the movement of your foot in these little cars is VERY touchy. Experience has shown me that the slightest movement of my foot makes a massive difference in the continuous MPG display; i.e., 50 MPG to 75 MPG range.

Are you doing anything wrong? I doubt it. If anything, the stats you've offered here suggest you're doing rather well with the little car.

Hope this helps.

Fred :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
If there is a level strech of freeway you can do about 55mph on, clear the FCD and see what your mpg is for that segment. If you get 75mpg or so (generally easy to do....), it's likely that the acceleration getting to cruise speed is the problem - it usually is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I took it out on the freeway yesterday and realized the difference is that I have not been doing as much driving on the interstate. I feel better now. I'm just too obsessive over this vehicle, but I certainly enjoy the obsession. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts