Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
For those tempted, way better chargers for about the same $.

I just had the fan on mine go out, and it hit 185°F internally. These are not the workhorses we need them to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read there isn't anything better for the money. It'd be nice if you can provide an actual example of a better charger instead of just a vague post. I know of a few people that have used the 989 to recondition a pack and I have done it myself. Works just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Clearly you haven't been to the "Alternatives to the superbrain..." thread. Pages and pages of discussion.

Turnigy Reaktor 300W or 1000W from Hobby King. 20A/300W & 30A/1000W regenerative discharge capacity, respectively. The 1000W has the same internal discharge capacity of the 989 where the 300W can only do 20W internally. Both also log data and have much more flexible and capable programs, options and features. They are clones of Junsi iCharger products under license.

There are also threads documenting issues with the 989. In its day, it was the best value option, and that "legend" perpetuates today; however, many, including myself, have cooling and accuracy issues.

For cooling, I had to use a hole saw to cut 1" holes in the sides of the case for improved airflow, and as I mentioned, the cooling fan itself isn't very reliable. Last night, I disassembled it and lubricated the fan. This will likely last for a while, but a replacement is in order. I'm also going to add a second fan to the top vent on the outside as others have done.

Concerning accuracy, my gold standard for capacity determination is a West Mountain Radio Computer Battery Analyzer (CBA III), and the 989 consistently tests low due to internal resistance where the Reaktors test very close to the CBA.

This charger was never intended for "refurb" use. I suspect that MRC discontinued its production for this reason and continue to produce less capable chargers for the R/C community.

People have had failed businesses on the refurb-via cycling model. It's not reliable, and data presented here as well as my own suggest there is no benefit to stick cycling over whole-pack grid charge and deep discharge.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts