Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to plan audio upgrades on my 2005. It already has an aftermarket radio (Sony consumer-level unit) and new speakers (everything was probably $300 total). It's only good enough to make me want something better.

I'm going to use Critical Mass SS6 for speakers, and they can handle 200RMS each. To get 4 speakers to that I'll have to bi-amp, so that's 2 amps. I'm also kicking around the idea of adding Critical Mass SS82 or SS102 sub, which would make 3 amps. So....where would everything go? One amp under the passenger seat and 2 in the pit (mounted on the sides) with the sub? Mounting them all by the spare tire somewhere? Somewhere else? Radio will be a Sony RSX-GS9 so I won't be using a CD changer (unless I missed a way to make that work).

I haven't done an amp install before. Is there a start to finish video for an amp install on a 1st gen Insight like this one for the radio?

·
Linsight Designer
2,445 Posts
I put an aftermarket system in a G1 back in 2003... mounted the amps underneath the metal shelf in the back right of the rear hatch area, just underneath the carpet. I also removed the carpet bucket above the spare tire and put a sub box in there... preserved the entire rear hatch area above the carpet. Nice setup. Note that you can directly tap the 12 volts from the DCDC converter in the IMA bay (i.e. you don't need to run a cable from the engine bay).

The insight already runs over 75 amps, why add just 2 more?
OP means "amplifier"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts