Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to research on the possible buying of a used or new honda insight:
I talked to a guy who has 80k+ miles on a 3 year old 02 insight. He said he has had ZERO problems! He said he gets 70mpg+ most of the time. Since I don't see how I can do a poll here I will do it manually (really more like a survey).
-p.s. I had a chance for a 2000 red insight, no ac for 8K with only 60k miles, I think I made a BIG mistake by not getting that one then! ; ( the ones Im seeing now are either 2k more, or have a lot more miles on them.
Q1. did you buy new or used, how much did you pay? What kind of tax break did you get?
Q2. year of insight & manual or cvt?
Q3. Listing of mods for mpg.
Q4. avg mpg and how many miles do you have on it? Im especially curious to see how many high milage insights with no problems there are.
Q5. MOST IMPORANT Q, what problems have you had and how much have they cost (not including maint.)? im particularly concerned about the battery pack and ima system.
Q6. looking back on it would you have bought it again, done something different (like paying less or going with a mod sooner), or bought something else (like prius, civic hybrid etc.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought my 2001 used in 2004 from a local guy. I paid $10,000 and it had about 46,000 miles on it. It now has about 54,000.

The only mod I did was the cardboard trick this winter, but I didn't have the same success as everyone else with it.

I've only had 1 problem so far, and that was to replace a 2nd 02 sensor, and it cost me about $250. Other than that, no problems.

As far as a tax break (I'm a tax accountant), you only get the tax credit if you buy a brand new one. The IRS is phasing it out. For 2005, it's a $2,000 credit, but next year it drops to $500, according to the IRS website.

If I had it to do over again, I would still buy the Insight. I absolutely adore my car (I almost worship it!).

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Its a tax deduction vic credit which means it reduces your taxable income but savings depend on your tax bracket. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apierpoint,
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of going with a 06 civic also. Maybe I should start a thread on the merits of civic hybrid vs. insight.?
what I see going for it Insight:
-better fuel econ 10-30mpg better depending on many factors
-all aluminum -therefore no rusting
For civic hybrid:
-updated 3rd generation ima system probably only lose 10mpg
-much better safety systems (side airbags etc.)
-more passenger room
-more cargo room
-towing
-shares parts with a common vehicle (regular civic)

Well thats all I can think about right now, Im sure the next few months will answer many questions. p.s. I wonder if the insight will ever get a redesign or re-engineering?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts