Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved now has a new (used) Insight to go along with mine. We've both got remote control clickers.

Is there any way to get the cars to recognize two different remotes so we can both use them on the two cars? Or... any way to get two remotes identically programmed, and then get both cars to recognize this (new) control?

(or any other suggestions...?)

thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've seen different colored remotes for sale on ebay, they come up if you just search for "Insight"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Since the remote puts out a single coded signal you would have to have both cars programmed to that code. The dealer could probably recode one of the cars and its remotes to match the other car. It will be pricey.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you could do so, would you ever be in a situation where both cars were near each other when locking/unlocking? Would both cars react simultaneously to l/ul command, or only one? More worrisome, would the "rolling code" feature (which I believe exists with our Insights) be compromised or altered in such a situation, leading to unexpected reprogramming or having the remotes inoperative? Or would both cars spontaneously combust? :roll: All joking aside, just curious... :D

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I would say that if both cars are close enough, they would both lock or unlock. I don't think that there is two way communication for the remote so it wouldn't be "smart" enough to know that one car already locked or unlocked. Even if they did both unlock at the same time, the car that was not used would automatically lock again within something like 20 seconds of no entry so it wouldn't be too bad.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats on a two Insight family! :D

Our two share a tight driveway and are parked pretty close. We cannot use the remotes interchangeably. Each takes its own remote and key. As noted, this is a programming item.

We do have the key rings labeled with identifying color tags from the Home Depot key department. We never drive (or even wash!) the other's Insight without first politely asking. This is because an Insight is so lovely that it's just hard to share.

The only time I've noticed Papaya's remote to have an effect on another car was when I locked her remotely in the parking garage at work and a big Honda SUV chimed in and flashed it's tail lights. Papaya was not impressed. :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts