Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2000 honda insight. After driving 150 miles the IMA light and check engine light both came on. (I worked out a deal with the guy and he gave me some money back). Anyway I took it to a honda dealer and they told me it would be over $7000 to fix it because not only is the battery shot but so is some control computer. They also said that it was fine to drive for the time being until I could get the battery disconnected. I decided just to drive the car without the IMA because I am getting great gas mileage even without it.

everything seemed fine until today while driving the battery light and the brake light both came on. They were on steady until I turned off the car, then they did not come back on until driving later.

I am wondering if this could possibly be related to the control computer being fried or if the whole thing is ruined.

I haven't noticed any difference in the car. there are no funny sounds, smells or driving changes.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
everything seemed fine until today while driving the battery light and the brake light both came on. They were on steady until I turned off the car, then they did not come back on until driving later.

I am wondering if this could possibly be related to the control computer being fried or if the whole thing is ruined.

I haven't noticed any difference in the car. there are no funny sounds, smells or driving changes.
Congrats on finding this forum. That is by far the best thing you could have done!

The BS the dealer told you about the computers being fried is crap. None of the computers are fried, that's a money grab. Tell them to pound sand!

As soon as the battery light and the brake light both came on your 12V battery stopped being charged. Basically, the "alternator" stopped working in that the 12v battery was no longer being charged. This page has instructions on how to completely bypass the IMA battery and run on the 12v battery only. If you follow those instruction the 12v battery WILL charge and you can drive the car indefinitely without the IMA system.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely give it a shot. is there a chance that the alternator gave out and that is why it is no longer charging the 12v?

Also the IMA battery bars have fluctuated since the IMA light came on. originally there was only one bar and eventually it moved up to four. It has continued to move in that range. I also noticed the green charge lights have come on momentarily once and so have the assist lights. maybe I am just too hopeful but is there a change that means the IMA can be saved?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I will definitely give it a shot. is there a chance that the alternator gave out and that is why it is no longer charging the 12v?

Also the IMA battery bars have fluctuated since the IMA light came on. originally there was only one bar and eventually it moved up to four. It has continued to move in that range. I also noticed the green charge lights have come on momentarily once and so have the assist lights. maybe I am just too hopeful but is there a change that means the IMA can be saved?

This car has NO alternator. The IMA motor-generator charges the 12 volt battery through a step down DC-DC converter. A VERY reliable system.

Please check and clean or repair the 12 volt battery ground and the two engine-transmission to body grounds located under the engine air filter. LOAD test the 12 volt battery for free at a nearby autozone. This is important.

When your brake and battery lights are on, this means that there is NO 12 volt charging taking place and you will soon be stuck on the side of the road, so do the bypass sooner rather than later.

After you do the bypass there will be no 12 volt charging @ <~1,200; >~4,000 rpm. Above 4,000rpm the brake and battery lights will light for ~ 45 seconds and then resume charging. I have been driving like this since Thanksgiving, and it is basically a non issue.

Look up grid charging in the upper left Google search page. Your HV battery might still be salvageable, but your doing it no favors by driving it. Stay away from the dealers, pull the codes for free at Autozone and report back here, for free KNOWLEDGEABLE advice.

Please put your location in your avatar area...your welcome Willie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so by doing the bypass does this exclude the 12V batt from being charged? I did the bypass and I have the check engine light on as well as the IMA light, is this correct?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,656 Posts
Read the prior posts. They explain it fully. Yes you will have the CEL and IMA light.
The 12V battery will be charged.

Willie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on finding this forum. That is by far the best thing you could have done!

The BS the dealer told you about the computers being fried is crap. None of the computers are fried, that's a money grab. Tell them to pound sand!

As soon as the battery light and the brake light both came on your 12V battery stopped being charged. Basically, the "alternator" stopped working in that the 12v battery was no longer being charged. This page has instructions on how to completely bypass the IMA battery and run on the 12v battery only. If you follow those instruction the 12v battery WILL charge and you can drive the car indefinitely without the IMA system.

HTH
I have the same issue as the original poster. I have never had any problems with starting or charging the IMA battery until last week after an uphill drive from Phoenix (1500 ft) to my home at 5,000 ft. The next morning the car had an almost completely discharged 12v battery. I charged the 12 v battery and cleaned the postive terminal which had a little corrosion on it. The car started, but the battery and brake light remained on while I drove it around the block. Tomorrow, I will check the grounds as sugessted in the previous posts. I hope that it is something simple or inexpensive, like needing a new 12v battery as my bank account is depleted. The link to the IMA bypass page has expired.

2001 5 speed 153K IMA battery replaced under warranty at 75k

·
Registered
811 Posts
The instructions called for disconnecting something on the bcm , probably it is also in some treads here. your 12v battery is not charged presently ,but if you find and follow the instructions , probably it will start charging and you may avoid buying a 12v battery. I found this link in another bcm disconnect post:

Honda Insight (2000-2006) - Battery Bypass Instructions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts