Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Damn it. 160 miles later an my P1165 is back. Weird, usually it's back within 10 miles but after resetting the ECU it took 160.. and once the CEL comes back it starts jerking in lean burn and getting worse fuel economy overall. Bizarre. I wonder if a datalog would reveal anything.

·
Linsight Designer
3,892 Posts
Great thread! P1165 can be quite a booger to get rid of. Glad that 3DP window switch worked out... looks like you used an FDM 3PM, whereas an SLA print would have had better tolerances... but you made it work, and I commend that! I'm amazed you couldn't find a silver door anywhere. That's the most common color and there are tons of them sitting in junkyards.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Had to massage the FDM piece with a rotary tool a little bit to get it to fit but I'm pleased with the result. I have yet to ever see any sort of Insight in a remotely local salvage yard, somehow Wichita is just a wasteland for those things.

Installed my aluminum undertray today, realized I'm missing both of the rubber corner pieces, both wheel well liners, and one of the little vertical braces in the wheel well. So still lots of absent aero. I pulled one of the rubber corner pieces and one wheel well liner off of my parts car, so I just need to buy/find the other side and my aero situation should be a lot better.

Here's a pair of silver, two door, manual, rare, fastback cars. The Ferrari 360 started out with an F1 gearbox and my buddy swapped it to a gated manual. He also has a silver manual Insight that is his daily.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
470 Posts
So as it turns out... you should follow the full procedure in the service manual. Resetting the CEL is not the same as resetting the ECU. I recently got a new scantool, a Topdon Phoenix Lite 2, which I used to reset my SRS light (leaks..) and saw that it had an option to reset the ECU. Why not? Now my P1165 has been gone for 140 miles, the car isn't jerky in lean burn, and I'm getting significantly better fuel economy.
Jake,
Thanks very much for posting your videos, they are fun to watch. Hoping that you can continue with them. Blessings to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The funniest thing about this thread is that I read it in your voice, Jake. I’ve been following your Insight build for a while now (you’re actually a big part of why I love Insights so much) - it’s really cool to see an Insight be saved from the scrapper like this. I work at a car lot & recently one was traded in, I wanted so badly to buy it & fix it but there was too much red tape & it went straight from us to the junkyard. Seeing the exact opposite of that is wonderful. Keep up the great videos, and best wishes to you!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts