Honda Insight Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I did put a bolt into the engine to hold it up from the support. I doubt that is holding the transmission to the engine. It looks like I put the bolt into the suggested location from the manual.

Organism Font Circle Art Drawing

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
There are six bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. The upper four bolts have 17mm hex heads and the two bottom ones have 14mm heads.

The trickiest one is high up on the back side of the engine under the exhaust manifold section of the head.

FadedBlue, you have my phone number. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions while working on your Insight.
17mm hex heads? This is what the bolt heads look like for my car. I have a 2005. The 2 bolts with the washers and countersunk holes were the bottom most bolts.

Glasses Hood Toy Wood Table

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
The wide chisel and hammers got things started. The pry bars and hammers got it apart.

Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle fork Bicycle part Tire

At first I thought the strap holder on the transmission jack was not going to give me enough room where Iocated the strap, but it just barely gave me enough room.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Congrats on getting it out.

Yea that motor mount is getting tired.
Well if I order the 2 top motor mounts, the driver side looks easy enough, but the passenger side mount has something in front of it (maybe related to ABS brakes as it has some hard lines coming out of it). Can I just unbolt the thing in front of the passenger side mount and lift it out of the way so I can get the bolt out of the motor mount?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Bull Dog,

When I was talking to you on the phone last week, you mentioned it might make sense to replace an oil seal on the engine and mentioned removing the IMA motor to get at it. Is there a thread on this site showing how to do that (hopefully with pictures)?

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Passenger side motor mount is kind of a pain, but it is entirely doable.

I was talking about the rear main (crankshaft) seal. I don't know if there is a guide on the forums that shows replacing this.

At any rate, if you would like to pursue doing this I will be happy to walk you through the relatively simple process. Pulling the IMA motor off the engine is not difficult...unless you try to do it the way Honda describes in the service manual. You don't need any exotic tools to do the job.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts