Honda Insight Forum banner
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I did put a bolt into the engine to hold it up from the support. I doubt that is holding the transmission to the engine. It looks like I put the bolt into the suggested location from the manual.

Organism Font Circle Art Drawing

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
There are six bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. The upper four bolts have 17mm hex heads and the two bottom ones have 14mm heads.

The trickiest one is high up on the back side of the engine under the exhaust manifold section of the head.

FadedBlue, you have my phone number. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions while working on your Insight.
17mm hex heads? This is what the bolt heads look like for my car. I have a 2005. The 2 bolts with the washers and countersunk holes were the bottom most bolts.

Glasses Hood Toy Wood Table

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
The wide chisel and hammers got things started. The pry bars and hammers got it apart.

Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle fork Bicycle part Tire

At first I thought the strap holder on the transmission jack was not going to give me enough room where Iocated the strap, but it just barely gave me enough room.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Congrats on getting it out.

Yea that motor mount is getting tired.
Well if I order the 2 top motor mounts, the driver side looks easy enough, but the passenger side mount has something in front of it (maybe related to ABS brakes as it has some hard lines coming out of it). Can I just unbolt the thing in front of the passenger side mount and lift it out of the way so I can get the bolt out of the motor mount?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Bull Dog,

When I was talking to you on the phone last week, you mentioned it might make sense to replace an oil seal on the engine and mentioned removing the IMA motor to get at it. Is there a thread on this site showing how to do that (hopefully with pictures)?

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Passenger side motor mount is kind of a pain, but it is entirely doable.

I was talking about the rear main (crankshaft) seal. I don't know if there is a guide on the forums that shows replacing this.

At any rate, if you would like to pursue doing this I will be happy to walk you through the relatively simple process. Pulling the IMA motor off the engine is not difficult...unless you try to do it the way Honda describes in the service manual. You don't need any exotic tools to do the job.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Bull Dog shipped the rebuilt transmission and other parts last week, they are supposed to arrive this Friday.

Meanwhile, I pulled the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel today. I also pulled the IMA motor so I can replace the rear main crankshaft seal.

You might notice that I picked up an impact wrench too.

When I was pulling the IMA motor, I realized it was not quite going to reach the floor and then tried to figure out what to do. I grabbed one of the wheels and put it on the wheel. Well that scratched the wheel a bit, but I am not really worried about how pretty the wheels look.

Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Locking hubs

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset Automotive design Gear

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
When I was taking the transmission out at the step shown below, I remember this being a bit annoying to get apart. The long bolt was lined up with the exhaust. I was wondering if I needed to disconnect the exhaust to get the long bolt out. I was loosening up the 4 bolts attached to the transmission, but then I just unbolted the mount from the car floor and that let the tranmission/engine combination swing a bit so I could get the long bolt out.

I wonder if the reverse of this will be annoying when putting the transmission back into the car.

Font Art Pattern Drawing Illustration

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Well I can read some of this. In the curing section I can see something about 15-16 hours and 3 days.

I need to use Hondabond for the IMA motor to engine surface. I get the evenly and thinly as possible part.

The 2 small bolts at the top of the IMA motor are not really going to get the IMA motor to the engine that tight, I guess I need to get the 6 transmission bolts tightened down to sandwich the IMA motor tight to the engine.

So I think I need to keep moving from the point of applying the Hondabond to the IMA motor until I get the 6 transmission bolts tightened. If I want to take a break, it will be after tightening the 6 transmission bolts.

Brown Liquid Wood Fluid Drink

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I was wondering if I needed to disconnect the exhaust to get the long bolt out.
Remove the two bolts/springs that hold the cat to the exhaust manifold, you should be able to pull down on the exhaust pipe while removing the bolt at the same time, without having to remove the pipe from the rubber hanger. Or you can remove the pipe from the hanger.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Next I think I need to get some "super high temp urea grease" and some Honda manual transmssion fluid.
I ran out to the Honda dealer during my lunch break. They had Honda manual transmission fluid, but did not have the "super high temp urea grease". I guess auto parts stores will sell an equivalent grease? Are there any suggestions on what I should use?

101 - 120 of 170 Posts