Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This vehicle is a mirror image of my 1rst one, but has 165K mis vs. 275K and this one has AC.

Main questions:
1) the mpg is definitely low and I can't get it over 51, despite the dash suggesting that I should be getting way more. I drive it just as w/ my other one which gets about 60+ the way I drive it. Also, I had Honda dealership ck it out and just for this reason and they said all checked out fine! Had NO idea why.
Any suggestions? The gas gauge definitely correlates well w/ the 50 mpg I'm supposedly getting.

2) Despite an alignment and wheel balancing, the car has an unusual shimmy when over 55 mph that is almost "cyclic," being exaggerated every .5 secs and even Honda has no idea. The person who sold me the car drove the car 70 mph from auction and it also had a shimmy when at lower speeds that wasn't there @ 70 mph!
I had the transmission repaired after I bought it and a new clutch while there and even though I was told the transmission repair may have done something, the shimmy was apparently there prior!
HELP? Honda can't explain and said it may be something "internal" and suggested taking apart the transmission if they were to look into it further.
Thanks
Gary M.

·
Super Moderator
1,845 Posts
Good afternoon Gary,

Where are you located?
What tires and tire size are on the car along with date codes?
What are the air pressures?

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S. Jersey....standard size but not Bridgestones. Same size as my other vehicle. Air pressures checked by NTB when I just had wheels aligned/balanced. I didn't ck myself though.
Date codes? Not sure what that is. I just had car inspected and they hooked up the cable to ck engine codes and that was OK if that's what you're referring to.
Thanks for responding!
Gary

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you tried swapping the tires from one car to another? Tires can cause all kinds of drama.

·
Super Moderator
8,490 Posts
^+1. Definitely swap the tires and wheels with other car. It will give you a ton of information. You should lose the vibration is it is tire related. Your notes of testing speeds do point to tire problems.

I assume that you have noted the cooler weather. The Insight is hyper sensitive to ambient temperature - the hotter the better the MPG. If your reference is the other car a month or so back, that could fake you out.

I can't envision a transmission problem which would cause that problem, unless someone did something really stupid like leaving a couple of bolts off the clutch pressure plate.

Low MPG can be caused by a low power engine. You might want to do a compression test on the engine. BTW, it is a two person job.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
278 Posts
Hope you are coming to our gathering on 10/24 from 1-5 p.m. at Long Valley Pub and Brewery.

·
Registered
882 Posts
1) the mpg is definitely low and I can't get it over 51, despite the dash suggesting that I should be getting way more.
The mileage on my car was not great, and I have spent the past couple of years making small tweaks to try to improve it, like peeling an onion.

I am beginning to believe that 150K is too old for a LAF sensor. I replaced mine around that age and got about 5 MPG.

I had a bad EGR valve, and thought I had fixed it using techniques found on the forum. I even had a way to test it. But recently I replaced it with one of the WVE (NTK) valves discussed elsewhere. My mileage went up at least 5 MPG.

Another thing I did that helped was a valve adjustment. New, properly indexed plugs did not seem to make a measurable difference but probably help at the extremes of lean burn.

One thing I noticed on my car was a buildup of deposits on the pistons. I could not tell from other posts here if that was normal. I cleaned them off (don't try this; you can destroy the engine if done wrong) and the deposits returned. I switched from 0W20 to 5W30, which is allowed in the 2000 owner's manual, to see if maybe I was burning some oil. I did this a while back, and need to take a look at them again (via USB borescope camera).

Today I drove into the office and achieved 69 MPG over 10 miles, with measurement starting and stopping at speed, average 60 MPG, some modest hypermiling (coaxing lean burn and allow speed to vary with the terrain.) Not as good as some report, but way better than it has been in the past. I did achieve 75 MPG on a recent 200 mile drive on country roads and some interstate (with modest drafting).

You wrote that you are getting 51 MPG but the dash says you should be getting more. Do you mean that when you calculate how much gas is going into the tank between fills and how many miles driven, it works out to 51 MPG but a trip odometer reset at the start of the tank is showing something much higher?

If so, that could be either the gas station is pumping less gas than you are paying for (very doubtful), or the fuel rail pressure regulator is stuck open (more gas forced into the cylinders than the ECU thinks, but this should throw a code) or maybe there's a fuel injector that's not closing (this also may throw a code). That last item might be responsible for some vibration. (but that's assuming that I interpreted your statement correctly).

Cool that you got a second one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure my mechanic that savvy. Honda dealership found nothing, but who knows what they did. I believe not much. I'm taking to another mechanic now who worked on Insight #1. They hear your getting 50 mpg and blow you off when you're crying about low mileage! A real problem.
Thnx for suggestions.
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts